Hoodoo Man

where in the world are you?

At a time like this, some people have a tendency to point fingers. And I can see that and maybe point myself, but the fact is it's here and we have to stop pointing fingers and solve this problem. The lies about testing are out of hand, there are NOT enough tests available like our leaders want us to believe. AND if there were, who cares, a test is NOT a cure! If you know you're sick and don't stay home on your own, shame on you. The GOV shut down jobs, but who is gonna pay your bills? Unemployment, I think not. Our GOV also said they will make small business loans with low interest, why should we have to make a loan for them shutting us down and then pay interest on it too? The GOV cut interest rates to 0% to 1/4% to slow down the market crash and restore confidence, but for who? They did it for the rich banks and brokerage houses to lend themselves money with NO interest. They didn't do shit for you and me. Did your mortgage rate go down, how about your car loan interest? And more importantly, did your credit card rate go down? AND I'll bet your savings account rate didn't go UP! This is just another example of the rich getting richer. AND WTF were they really doing in WUHAN, CHINA that started this? Certainly not packing chicken or making clothes for the world market. Did an experiment to destroy mankind go terribly wrong? Somebody knows the answer and is not talking!!!!

This is all known information (below).  It deeply saddens me to write this.  

• The current US government (Trump's people) deliberately cut funding to scientists since it was elected.  These cuts include to infectious disease research - significantly under-resourcing the previously excellent Centres For Disease Control and Prevention.  
  • WHO epidemiologists and public health experts specifically warned that as a direct result, the national population of the US will become vulnerable to the next wave of major infectious diseases.
  • This is now the case.  The rest of the world is also dealing with this particular virus and disease.    
  • However, for the US, Mike Pence is in charge alongside Donald Trump.  Pence has form, having severely muddled leadership in a previous public health situation - with disastrous results for an entire community.  He should have been charged for this.  

Well, the people that put this administration in office will vote for them again in 2020. I'm seeking dual citizenship so it will be easier for me to move to my ancesters home country. If they were alive to see what is going on in the country they came to for a better life, well, I'm sure they are rolling over in their graves! I'm not 250 years old to have seen all the history of this country, but I've been here longer than most of you and have seen more than my share. I don't remember many good times, it was always a war, but not a war cuz the GOV called it a conflict, WTF is that?!! The good times were when we were kids and didn't know any better, after that the good times were when we MADE them by getting together and party at concerts with TPATH and others. Those days are gone all of a sudden, what the hell happened in the last 3 years? Think about that - - - - 3 years. Give this asshole 4 more years and this country will be gone. When someone, even a cop tells you to do something, ask WHY. A uniform does not mean you have to follow orders they give you, stand up and fight, it's your right, at least in the USA. If they disagree and arrest you, do the American thing and sue them, then you are a millionaire and control the cops! Quite easy huh?

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Caveat Emptor: I've not had a chance to read the whole thing but am posting the link anyway, take from it or not what you will. Seems like a complete skeptic's view of what's going on. Stumbled upon it as one does online:

https://blog.nomorefakenews.com/2020/03/15/how-many-people-have-coronavirus/

as someone that has a science background I can tell you the author has no real knowledge of this subject.  I got about 6-8 paragraphs in to see that I should stop reading. 

PCR is polymerase chain reaction. the science is decades old and has been perfected. Its designed as a positive/negative test and amplifies low level copies to make them detectable. Its quantifiable and legit science.  Yes it can be contaminated by adjacent wells and I would need to know what platform is being used to know how likely that is.  I have worked in literally hundreds if not thousands of labs as an instrument service engineer for over a decade. 

In the US, europe and Canada the technology is as common as the microwave in ANY research lab. I have installed or assisted in the install of over 100 machines that do this.  If the test kit is as simple fucking PCR test we have no reason at all not to be testing thousands of samples in a lab each day.  Now it makes sense why so many small countries can do this st such a high level of testing.  I know labs that have dozens of light cyclers that can do 36 tests in about 30-60 minutes if you are looking for a yes / no, a little longer if you want quantitative results. I am aghast at the delay in testing here and the lack of leadership.  I have personally ordered primers from vendors to do reactions like this on a routine basis. If the strains are sequenced the science for detection is so damn simple I can make the test with my laptop. I can actually do the reactions at home using ice and heat from the stove although detection of the product is another matter. .

Many PCR machines can do 96 or 384 samples at time and some of them have 4 units per instrument. I ran these machines routinely in 2003 and could run 1536 samples at a time and be loading the next 1536 samples while the run was going.... if I can do it so can my mom or anyone that can read this.... FML this is NOT hard to do. 

Great posts here, guys. Endlessly depressing, but great.

So what does it all mean? 

It means that the mob knows best? They know it all, as a matter of fact. The mob - as in those who vehemently question scientific authority and obvious truth, but have no problem believing any and all things POTUS says. (The problem with any mob - even the less crazy ones - is that they are just mass of individuals. They are not society, not even a group. In fact they normally hate any notion of "us", when there is an "I" to be had. An I for an I, is their creed.) Sanity is not a tool in the box, sadly. It´s hearsay from bygone days. Mobs just know stuff, that´s what they do - so God help any real expert. Mobs also hate a lot in all directions, eager to an equal distribution of fear in the world. Something to build on for their kind. As for the rest of it, they guess. And they shout. Oh, the level of crazy in the world is deafening, right now. The level of self destruction dizzying. 

In fact, this is must be the ultimate stress test for the post truth world, that we have created. It´s a smooth and tender blend of ego, greed and boundless desinformation technology. It seems to me, we don´t need really artificial intelligence, or a space invation, to destroy us. We can simulate ultimate havoc just as effectively ourselves.  Just give us something to panic about, some facts to confuse us and then press enter. Hurry up.

That said - stay clean, stay well, be careful.. The truth is out there. No doubt.

Love to all!

Yes, there's no cure for stupid.  Yet.  

People react to information in so many ways, don't we?  Like that old model of responding to grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.  

So if you hear friends and families responding by feeling maybe it's biochemists* cooking up a poison and unleashing it on the world... or that it's all an over-reaction... or there's a conspiracy.... Well, these are understandable emotional reactions in such troubled times.  

In the meantime, there is good public health information available about reducing the risk - practical things that we can do. 

* All the biochemists I know are sensible.  

So, seeing news of these US Navy hospital ships being deployed.  Is that near any one?  

(not near Sweden, I guess, since the US government couldn't buy Greenland like they wanted to, just a while back)

Any good TPATH songs for the situation? 

They're building basically a MASH unit near me on an artificial turf High School football stadium. A mobile hospital for people with the virus.  Definitely not Built To Last. 

I haven't heard about any hospital ships being used locally, but there is a Naval Base here also, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Our headquarters is in Silicon Valley (San Jose) and we've been scrambling to get every employee up on the corporate VPN - which of course was never designed to scale out to the numbers we're seeing.  So far, so good though.  

Regarding the Naval hospital ships, I heard today that they will be deploying one up here in the Seattle area shortly.  Not surprising I guess, since we're ground zero. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:39 PM, TomFest said:

Hey - take care of Tom Hanks, will ya?  We like that guy, and we want him back. 😄

Roger that.  The Likable Guy is back on his home soil.  Repeat, Tom & Rita Hanks have said "thanks & see ya later" to us here in Australia & are now back in the USA safe & well.  

Source: his twitter feed.  

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

Why aren't the closed auto plants and convention centers turned into hospitals?

some convention centers have been and are being turned into field hospitals.  Notably NY  but also Seattle from what I heard from the army corp of engineers. 

16 hours ago, bonddm said:

Torquay on the Surf Coast in Victoria, Australia, about 100km from Melbourne. 10 km from Bells Beach for the surfers! We’re lucky enough to have very few cases diagnosed down here at the moment. 

Wonderful to hear the Surf Coast community is doing okay.  

d2f04eac51ff24a40fa71af10923d386--victor

On 3/21/2020 at 11:42 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

The Mercy and Comfort are floating hospitals. Both were stationed off the coast of california  they are not sure where the one on the west coast will stay but the other is enroute to NYC.

Chicago's McCormick Place, the largest convention center in North America, is also being used as a hospital.