Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Mike Campbell's voice

Mike sounds fine on Wreckless Abandon, although I think his phrasing/styling could use fine tuning. In the live setting he sounds like the lead singer of a bar band, and I think that's what they're going for--yet I think I would enjoy the performances more if the other band members did more on vocals to give Mike room to concentrate on the guitar leads. 

I guess I started the bashing, but I thought his vocal on "Victim of Circumstance" was quite good - his best vocal on record.  And I like "I Don't Wanna Fight" too.  I just think if the Knobs are going to elevate past bar band status, they need 2 things - great songs, and a great singer. 

6 hours ago, Shelter said:

I already said my piece. So y'all could perhaps just imagine me repeating all that in this thread too. Wouldn't be the first time. Just consider this one of my meta posts. Thanks.

I am considering making this my signature... 😎

I agree that Mikes voice suits the band and small venues.  I wish the DK were playing a stadium show near me as I am curious how he will translate into the big venues after the experience in the small stages they are starting out on.  For sure he will be comfortable with the spotlight and stage. But can he grab a crowd in daylight and hold it?  I don't know the last time he would have played onstage before dark. Maybe the London Petty shows?  Maybe FM had a show at a festival but the ones I know they were queued up for were canceled and I did not follow that tour closely at all..  He strikes me as a creature of the night so it will be interesting to see what energy they bring to shed shows before the sun goes down... 

DK played in daylight at the Ride Festival in Telluride as well as at Targhee Fest in Wyoming, both in 2018. I was at Telluride and had just seen them at The Mint two days before. I thought he and the band had great energy during the day and held the crowd’s interest very well, in comparison. That was 250 people at The Mint vs. 7,000 at Telluride. I know he’s been behind TP all these years, but he’s still a performer. He knows how to turn it on.

As for his voice, I agree that “Victim of Circumstance” is his best vocal on record. The Wreckless Abandon vocal sounds like it was worked on, possibly auto tuned, after it was recorded. The main attraction of this band are those guitars, not Mike’s voice. I will say his harmony with Jason is pretty awesome. 

5 hours ago, Arete411 said:

please say it ain't so

It sounds too smooth and too full. In that radio interview on KOCF, he concedes that the vocals were worked on after they were recorded. I forget the exact quote. 

On a related note, Mike’s cigar habit certainly isn’t helping his voice either. 

On February 8, 2020 at 1:26 PM, Shelter said:

Just consider this one of my meta posts. Thanks.

Ha!

21 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I agree that Mikes voice suits the band and small venues.  I wish the DK were playing a stadium show near me as I am curious how he will translate into the big venues after the experience in the small stages they are starting out on. 

I'm sure they'll be fine on a big stage but they just strike me as a fun bar band, a bunch of friends playing music they enjoy who happen to have a guitarist/singer from a major band. They seem designed for smaller stages, laid back banter with the crowd and lots of over-the-top guitar playing. Mike's voice is good for that though the other guy, Jason (?) has the better vox overall.

ciao

16 hours ago, TomFest said:

Mike's not singing in this clip, but he's playing slide on George's "Rocky" Strat.  A song called "Sleepwalk" I believe.  I hadn't seen this one.

http://www.oliverhecks.com/george-harrison-guitar-app/

seems this belongs more in the heartbreakers get around thread if he is not singing, :D but thanks for sharing!