Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Dirty Knobs Spring tour 2020

If we add images & video in here... then we can have one comprehensive thread covering their whole tour.  crazy i know. on other hand if you want to create multiple threads, that's okay too.  : ) 

to begin: 

Santa Barbara in January

here are 2 (of 8 ) videos someone in audience has kindly shared on youtube.  As you'll see, both songs are part of Mike Campbell's heritage from his TPATH years.  (I'm not going to say they are TPATH covers, since he was actively involved in their original creation.  Philosophical question - to what extent can you cover your own music?)  

Take it away fellas... let's get this show on the road!

Great how they highlight some of these old, yet not too frequently performed songs. Nice renditions too!

A guitar-only take of YGL wasn't on my list of great ideas before hearing this, but it works really well. (Still, a good choice if Ben ever sits in with them - he could play guitar too.. :) ). Also, to my ears YGL seems to fit Mike's vocals slightly better than CSTS. As thrilled I was to hear them doint that one, it's a bit difficult for him to pull off with the singing.. but whatever.. it's really beyond amazing, and very touching to hear them do these songs.

Seeing this stuff, makes me wish so much that I could've caugth this tour, but alas..

Thanks for posting! Keep em coming..

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Thanks for posting! Keep em coming..

Well, since you insist!  Not sure about the order these should be in - not sure of setlist for Santa Barbara in January.   So, in no particular order... 

Big thanks to the person in audience (Justin Kersey) who shares our fine taste in music as he's posted these on Youtube.  

On 1/27/2020 at 6:18 AM, Shelter said:

A guitar-only take of YGL wasn't on my list of great ideas before hearing this, but it works really well.

While I like the song it's not something I really think about much or listen to these days but that was quite a good version. Such good sound quality from a phone in a bar/club too. The performance was definitely Knobified...knobbed? Dirtied up? I liked it, the gritty guitar tones, the interplay during the outro. Sure, Mike's voice has improved quite a bit from Echo. I hope if they do keep playing some TPATH they play around with the songs as they did. I've quite the soft spot for garage rock, bar band and they seem to fit that space just fine. The other guitarist is a better vocalist overall though.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:18 AM, Shelter said:

if Ben ever sits in with them - he could play guitar too.. :) ).

Good one! Ha! If Ben ever sits in on this one I hope that while it would have more of a TPATH feel because of his keys, they'd still embellish the tune. Perhaps the person on here who said that mike benefited from his time with Fleetwood was correct, he seems very much at ease on stage as a frontman.

The thought occurs as well...seems like Stan might've been happy if the band, TPATH, had gone more in this direction but that's it for now for idle speculation.

Cheers

I'm a little torn about watching these videos and spoiling the shows and desperately wanting to watch them and learn the new songs.  It stinks as the first show I go to is a day or two before the album drops..  What I have seen thus far is really impressive.  I felt like Wreckless Abandon was very much in the Heartbreaker vein of music and sort of expected the other songs to follow suit but it really seems like they have a somewhat eclectic yet cohesive sound from what I've seen/heard.  I expected F#$% that guy to somehow sound like American Dream plan B and be aggressive and bassey and its nearly a delicate and playful song not an angry anthem..   Mike seems destined to impress and delight fans....  Seems he is also more accessible this tour and has a reporte with the audience lots of folks in SB seem to have met the man which was not an option for the most part even in the Mudcrutch era... 

12 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I'm a little torn about watching these videos and spoiling the shows and desperately wanting to watch them and learn the new songs.

My opinion, hold off. You have the basic gist, it's garage/blues rock with some TPATH covers. Think about how much fun it'll be if they throw in some new cover or TPATH song and it catches you by surprise versus knowing ahead of time.

cheers

30 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Seems he is also more accessible this tour and has a reporte with the audience lots of folks in SB seem to have met the man which was not an option for the most part even in the Mudcrutch era... 

It feels like in a way, it's a victory lap for him, he played in TPATH, helped out with FM and is now getting to tour with his own band, pretty much doing whatever he (and his bandmates) want, in front of fans specifically to see them, not a TPATH cover band. It probably adds to his laidback feel, on top of that his new album is finally going to be released, so it's the cherry on top of a very successful dream career, how could he not be happy and just radiating joy on stage?

cheers

32 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It feels like in a way, it's a victory lap for him, he played in TPATH, helped out with FM and is now getting to tour with his own band, pretty much doing whatever he (and his bandmates) want, in front of fans specifically to see them, not a TPATH cover band. It probably adds to his laidback feel, on top of that his new album is finally going to be released, so it's the cherry on top of a very successful dream career, how could he not be happy and just radiating joy on stage?

cheers

I one hundred percent agree with both points. its for sure a victory lap and I expect Mike to do even bigger and better things.  I would love to see another project form Mike along the lines of what the band did with Cash.   some or all of the heartbreakers with Mike as captain but working with a variety of artists like the Dead do with Dead and Company or a jam band stadium tour with people I cant even think of.  The Heartbreakers can continue to release from the vault but ...

I DO NOT want to see a Doors Album without Jim or a release of the Heartbreakers without Tom in front and center.   Christ has anyone but me listened to Full Circle and for me its 10 years or more since I last gave it a listen or glance? 

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Mike as captain but working with a variety of artists

I could be wrong but I think, or my impression is Mike's heart (no pun intended) is with the Dirty Knobs and if truly happy there, hope that is his main focus musically aside from archive releases as related to the Heartbreakers. Then again, he could do both TDK and what you suggest, it just seems, especially after the FM tour that TDK had been put off for a long time at least as regards an album and tour. Who knows though? Right? It's day -to-day for us all seemingly.

ciao

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I DO NOT want to see a Doors Album

I don't understand stuff like that. Though I guess there's limited precedent with Van Halen and other bands perhaps. It just occurred to me that maybe a lot of classic rock bands largely stuck to their original members because they didn't last long; Beatles, Zepp, Doors; whereas other bands will have more change in membership the longer they last for a variety of reasons. 

cheers

Anyone else see this short interview?

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/mike-campbell-talks-fleetwood-mac-and-new-band-the-dirty-knobs-123040/

These paragraphs form the majority of interview but, hey, fun to go read it anyway!  🎸

“It started out as something to do between Heartbreakers tours,” Campbell tells Uncut. “I got these guys and we played little clubs around town. We just became a good little band and got really close. It’s my band – I write the songs and get to sing the best I can – but it’s a real band, it’s not a solo project. We’re not together for money – we love to play together and we were having a blast. And then when life dealt me the cards it dealt me, I thought, what am I going to do now? I always thought, at some point, if the Heartbreakers retire then I’ll do my band – so now I’m doing it and I’m having a blast.

“We’re going to go on tour in the States – start small, play the little places, and see how far we get. It’s exciting. I can’t just sit around and play Heartbreakers records, I’ve got to go out and do something. I’m really enjoying it.”

Campbell also reveals that Fleetwood Mac are currently on hiatus after their recent mammoth world tour. “It was a year and a half! I’ve never toured that long in my life. It was really joyful. Great songs, and I love that rhythm section – I had so much fun playing with Mick and John. We ended the tour and we had a meeting. They are all even older than me, and I’m pretty old, and they were saying, I don’t think we’re up for doing any more long tours like this ever again. Stevie wants to do a solo show, she’s doing that right now, but in a year or so, if a handful of dates show up that made sense, everybody is open to doing those. So we’re on hiatus until things develop.”

Hi, longtime reader, first time poster.

I went to both SB shows and also saw DK a couple of years ago. I’ve spent hours watching and listening to old performances on YouTube. Most of the songs on the new album aren’t new and readily available on YouTube. 

That said, I was a little surprised by the sound of Wreckless Abandon. DK has traditionally been a gritty rock and blues band, so when this shiny TPATH-esque song was released, I wondered what the hell they were doing. Luckily, they have mostly stuck with their gritty sound. That’s what kind of band this is. 

It’s a shame footage from Saturday hasn’t surfaced as it was a far superior show to Friday. The sound was better and it had a high vibe. Mike threw out the set list early on. He later commented how much he loves the band because they will follow him musically, wherever he wants to go. They were heavily improvisational Saturday, with lots of extended jams and a “play-off” between Jason and Mike, then Lance and Mike. Great stuff. On this tour, you’ll get originals, some covers of other artists, and a few TPATH songs. It’s a lot of fun.

My impression is that DK is Mike’s mission. He said that in an interview, in fact. I felt that FM was a distraction for him while he was working through those initial shocks of grief, as well as a big payday since he no longer has that dependable TPATH tour income.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:45 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

I one hundred percent agree with both points. its for sure a victory lap and I expect Mike to do even bigger and better things.  I would love to see another project form Mike along the lines of what the band did with Cash.   some or all of the heartbreakers with Mike as captain but working with a variety of artists like the Dead do with Dead and Company or a jam band stadium tour with people I cant even think of.  The Heartbreakers can continue to release from the vault but ...

I DO NOT want to see a Doors Album without Jim or a release of the Heartbreakers without Tom in front and center.   Christ has anyone but me listened to Full Circle and for me its 10 years or more since I last gave it a listen or glance? 

Ha, that's interesting because, to me, it's exactly the opposite. I would prefer Heartbreakers album where Mike/Benmont/Scott/Ron sing to some kind of "all-star" assortment of guest singers like Eddie Vedder, etc. Obviously nothing will have the commercial cache or potential appeal of an album with TP on it, but I'd rather let Mike, Benmont, Ron, etc. shine on their on than see them play someone else's songs.

In that same vein, the very last thing I would want to see is some kind of all-star concert of celebrities singing "I Won't Back Down," "American Girl" and all the hits we've heard to death with the Heartbreakers. Mike doing DK stuff with some HBs tunes mixed in? OK. Benmont doing solo stuff? OK. Heartbreakers reconvening to play new material or deep cuts themselves? OK.  But a greatest hits show/tour with outsiders feels totally unnecessary to me, and I fear that's what the powers that be will think the masses will want.

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

Ha, that's interesting because, to me, it's exactly the opposite. I would prefer Heartbreakers album where Mike/Benmont/Scott/Ron sing to some kind of "all-star" assortment of guest singers like Eddie Vedder, etc. Obviously nothing will have the commercial cache or potential appeal of an album with TP on it, but I'd rather let Mike, Benmont, Ron, etc. shine on their on than see them play someone else's songs.

I feel like there was an implicit agreement to disband when they could not play togeher anymore. Honestly I would be very happy with Mike doing lead vocals on most songs, Ben taking occasional lead and a guest artist. They are one of the most talented bands in the world.  Heck throw in some Booker T and MGs More onions (They did green onions already) and call it a day.

In that same vein, the very last thing I would want to see is some kind of all-star concert of celebrities singing "I Won't Back Down," "American Girl" and all the hits we've heard to death with the Heartbreakers. Mike doing DK stuff with some HBs tunes mixed in? OK. Benmont doing solo stuff? OK. Heartbreakers reconvening to play new material or deep cuts themselves? OK.  But a greatest hits show/tour with outsiders feels totally unnecessary to me, and I fear that's what the powers that be will think the masses will want.

I dont think I would see a touring all star greatest hits show,  unless it was behind All The Rest and had the folks Tom had asked like Nora Jones and the Webb Sisters, I think Susan Hoffs was named but honestly I barely like Stevie Nicks and her voice seems to be gone live.  Toss in a few hits and end with a full stage with american girl done.   I had a blast at the LA Birthday bash and didn't know half of the artists by name. having Steve behind the drums and Ron on Bass was lovely. IDK if I would have wanted Mike in the mix or Ben on more than a few songs.  What was nice is they had a few drummers and a number of people cycle in on bass.  I hope the full show comes out as it was a very nice low key tribute. to the legacy.  It was better as there were no big names aside from the new guy and Ron and they are low key members of the band that didn't have much a spotlight. as Ben and Mike...   (Scott is great too and versatile and talented but I group him with Ron. A long time member but not entirely essential as Mike and Ben. )  You likely saw the songs I uploaded on the covers thread in this subforum. I have a couple more songs I havent had time to figure out who sang on still to upload...  plus a Jake Thistle song that was cut in two and needs to be spliced together. he is very talented... 

I don't like Eddie Vedder too much either, that worble sound he makes gets old and reminds me of a goat. Same with Stevie... <runs and hides form villagers with pitch forks and torches> ;) 

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I don't like Eddie Vedder too much either, that worble sound he makes gets old and reminds me of a goat. Same with Stevie... <runs and hides form villagers with pitch forks and torches> ;) 

Hm.. too bad titles like Ram and Goat Heads Soup are already taken.. if such a tour would ever need a name. They could go with Let it Bleat, I suppose...

I wonder if they'd go for a horn section.

5 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

I would prefer Heartbreakers album where Mike/Benmont/Scott/Ron sing to some kind of "all-star" assortment of guest singers like Eddie Vedder, etc. Obviously nothing will have the commercial cache or potential appeal of an album with TP on it, but I'd rather let Mike, Benmont, Ron, etc. shine on

4 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Honestly I would be very happy with Mike doing lead vocals on most songs, Ben taking occasional lead and a guest artist. They are one of the most talented bands in the world.  Heck throw in some Booker T and MGs More onions (They did green onions already) and call it a day.

Perhaps this might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Heartbreakers should just rest in peace. I understand a tribute show, or even if they do a Wildflowers tour with rotating singers or something but overall I don't really care. It's one thing for a one-off or heck, even the WF tour since it was presumably a goal of Tom's but it seems like anything beyond that runs into that weird ground of carrying things on past their best date.

But I think such speculations are just that, I figure the band will continue as they have, playing here and there or their own projects/performances which seems a dignified way to be. 

13 hours ago, Afaceinthecrowd said:

It’s a shame footage from Saturday hasn’t surfaced as it was a far superior show to Friday. The sound was better and it had a high vibe. Mike threw out the set list early on. He later commented how much he loves the band because they will follow him musically, wherever he wants to go. They were heavily improvisational Saturday, with lots of extended jams and a “play-off” between Jason and Mike, then Lance and Mike.

Thanks for sharing! This sounds like a lot of fun and I'm glad Mike can just ditch the set list and do what he wants and the band goes with him. There could be some stellar performances from this tour. Maybe some video footage will appear.

cheers

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I feel like there was an implicit agreement to disband when they could not play togeher anymore. Honestly I would be very happy with Mike doing lead vocals on most songs, Ben taking occasional lead and a guest artist. They are one of the most talented bands in the world.  Heck throw in some Booker T and MGs More onions (They did green onions already) and call it a day.

I dont think I would see a touring all star greatest hits show,  unless it was behind All The Rest and had the folks Tom had asked like Nora Jones and the Webb Sisters, I think Susan Hoffs was named but honestly I barely like Stevie Nicks and her voice seems to be gone live.  Toss in a few hits and end with a full stage with american girl done.   I had a blast at the LA Birthday bash and didn't know half of the artists by name. having Steve behind the drums and Ron on Bass was lovely. IDK if I would have wanted Mike in the mix or Ben on more than a few songs.  What was nice is they had a few drummers and a number of people cycle in on bass.  I hope the full show comes out as it was a very nice low key tribute. to the legacy.  It was better as there were no big names aside from the new guy and Ron and they are low key members of the band that didn't have much a spotlight. as Ben and Mike...   (Scott is great too and versatile and talented but I group him with Ron. A long time member but not entirely essential as Mike and Ben. )  You likely saw the songs I uploaded on the covers thread in this subforum. I have a couple more songs I havent had time to figure out who sang on still to upload...  plus a Jake Thistle song that was cut in two and needs to be spliced together. he is very talented... 

You think Mike is a lead singer, but not Eddie Vedder or Stevie Nicks.  And you're serious?

20 hours ago, Afaceinthecrowd said:

It’s a shame footage from Saturday hasn’t surfaced as it was a far superior show to Friday. The sound was better and it had a high vibe

I was wondering about the sound quality issue, myself.  I'm glad you a) got to be there in audience and b) posted here to share!  Thanks!!

9 hours ago, TomFest said:

You think Mike is a lead singer, but not Eddie Vedder or Stevie Nicks.  And you're serious?

Exactly my thoughts. Mike’s a very limited singer, lacking the range of TP, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks, and basically every frontman out there. 

Even more puzzling, is why a half-baked Heartbreakers reunion idea is being discussed in the DK forum. New music, tour dates...and yet?

7 hours ago, Afaceinthecrowd said:

Exactly my thoughts. Mike’s a very limited singer, lacking the range of TP, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks, and basically every frontman out there. 

I don't disagree that Mike lacks the range of Tom or Stevie etc.  But Keep in mind, I am a blues fan. For me it's not about vocal prowess, this is not a Celine Dion or Ariana Grande forum.  For me it's the authenticity of delivery. Stevie is out to give a SHOW, she has the scarves, the aurora and in the past she was very talented and had a great range.  Listen to her cover of Black Magic woman from the FM tour with Mike. Her voice is not what it was in the mid-80's. 

Mike might not have range but he has smoothed out and is not as rough as his one lead vocal on TPHB. That song makes me cringe a little  based on the forced delivery.  Mike now has sung lead on several tracks and backing vocals to a small degree on others for stadiums with FM.  It was rare for him to take such a central role for vocals with Tom or even Mudcrutch.   He is not Tom but he is Mike and not Mike "apeing" Tom but Mike's vocal interpretation of the songs he helped Tom write.  I'd rather hear that than the bleeating delivery of Eddie the waaaaaiiiiaaaaiiitttttiinnng is not the hardest part listening to his take. 

This is my opinion but I love Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker and the three kings for me are Albert, Freddie and BB.  most of my go to is sort of spoken word blues singing which is somewhat what Mike does.

Even more puzzling, is why a half-baked Heartbreakers reunion idea is being discussed in the DK forum. New music, tour dates...and yet?

Have you seen the bleed over into the TP section of the forum of the DK? ;)  I am thrilled Mike will be playing with Chris, I would rather see Chris Stapleton than Stevie or Eddie.  I did see Stevie live a couple of times in the early 90s and she was good but not memorable like Tom or John Hiatt or Joe Ely or James McMurtry shows were for me.  I'm not really a fan but I've seen Lyle Lovett several times, generally with John Hiatt and one time by himself. 

If given a choice of seeing Mike, or anyone else in this post, Stevie and Eddie are tied for dead last.

If we are talking mid 80s/90s Stevie she moves up the ranks to mid tier, but now?  I have tickets for 4 DK shows, and zero FM or Eddie Vedder shows. I have the Album "Ten" and a live album, I think called "italy"on my iPhone.  But its been a long time since they were played. 

Wreckess Abandon, and some of the DK stuff that was taken off youtube have gotten way more play by me. So I am excited about seeing the DK live, and thrilled for Mike to do stadium tours with the Knobs.  But TPHB is why I am here so that's a little why I got off on the tangent about a half baked reunion. 

Sorry, The Dirty Knobs definitely need a lead singer - and Mike is not that.  But I would love to hear him play "I Don't Wanna Fight" - the one song he actually sang on with the Heartbreakers.  "Can't Stop The Sun" and "You Got Lucky" - sorry, no.   Just no.  He is distracted with his pedal board, late on the vocals, completely missing some of the words, and just does not have the range or quality in his voice.  I know we have a ton of Mike cheerleaders around here, and I'm one of them.  But take off the rose-colored glasses, people.