Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Wreckless Abandon (first single) Discussion Topic

There's nothing to say on this topic, The Knobs just wrote and recorded a song that copies their idol's from the 60's, Beatles, Stones, Kinks and so on. There's nothing great here, it's just rehashed 60's music! BUT, then again, you aren't children of the 60's, are you? So you have a lot to learn about music! Where do you think Mike, Tom and all the musicians of the 70's, 80's and more learned their licks? It was the 1960's.

I like it, definitely a Beatles and Zep vibe in the intro/outro... sounds a lot like Surrender or that era Petty to me. Something from the late 70s early 80s.  the big thing for me is how solid Mike seems as a front man in the video and record.  He really pulls it off nicely so his time in FM was not wasted in my opinion now. It most likely helped him grow as an artist.  The lyrics are simple but feel original and organic, not forced.  It sort of makes me wonder how involved he was in writing early TPHB lyrics or if he just learned from associating with Tom, Stevie and Don... etc.. 

I think it's exellent.

17 hours ago, nurktwin said:

There's nothing to say on this topic

Right.

Nevertheless, I will say just a few things.

This new serving of briliantly tuned studio Knobs is a slice of retro, isn't it. To no surprise there are vague traces of 40 years of TP service in this. I think I can hear little bits and pieces all over. Sounds and grooves that check all the obvious boxes, from Listen To Her Heart and Surrender as mentioned to Hypnotic Eye. An extra shout out of excitement for the guitar sound and the bass. Mean bass that imo is the coolest I've heard from the TP camp since U Got Me High.

And, as mentioned by others here, there are so many tips of the hat here - to other rock history riffs, licks and gimmicks as well - that I'm surprise Mike's hat is still in place. Generic, some may say, but thanks to a few twists in the composisiton, to the production mentioned and to Mike's personal vocal delivery (more on that in a few), it still rings out pretty unigue. Other than certain TPATH echoes here and there, there are more than a hint of garage and 70's hard rock of course. Dare I say I even hear a borderline dosis of Jon Bon Jovi in there. (A penny for my thoughts!) The intro and outro even bare traces of 60's/70s psychedelic delights from the orient (and from Beatles/Zep, surely, yes) that I sure hope will be featured more prominently on the rest of the album. Some of those sounds are quite amazing. All in all a great little gem in most ways. I could say that I do miss a certain something in the composition, the melody and hook a wee bit flat perhaps, for my personal taste, but this is just minor aspects. It rocks and it sounds stellar. What else is there to it. Right.

As for the vocals. This is perhaps better than expected. It's certainly "best so far" in terms of what's been cut in studio in the past. Some of the finer pitched stuff accomplished with support in the "Bathroom Jams" - to my ears really good stuff, even better than this - may be for another project still, but the delivery and phrasing here is great and fits the bill prefectly. And again - what has been heard previously, hasn't been quite this well balanced and full of quality flavors anyway. This singing is light years ahead of I Don't Wanna Fight and even a tad sharper than Victim of Circumstanse. Personally, I think traveling with "The Macs", getting to sing some up front for a change - and not least the surely therapeudic recurrent co-singing with the ladies, from bathrooms all over of America, really has been of significant importance here.. A late in life polishing up of something for the longest time neglected, one may say. 

12 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

The lyrics are simple but feel original and organic, not forced.  It sort of makes me wonder how involved he was in writing early TPHB lyrics or if he just learned from associating with Tom, Stevie and Don... etc.. 

Yes. I noticed much the same thing. I don't have too much experience with actually listening/analysing MC as a lyricist, but I think this is a very genuine and well crafted piece of work. Rather organic, as you say. Judging from a few mannerisms that I think I can detect, that really "reeks" of Tom, I'd say that over 40 years as a side man and co-composer to one of the best in the field has left its marks. I think he paid attention. That's not gonna make Tom's way with words and imagery easy to douplicate, but obviously, now finding himself in a position where he can allow himself to work more and harder on this aspect of the music, has helped some. If the rest of the upcoming album features more lyrics on this level, this is really promising to me. Better than expected, dare I say. Again, very impressed.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Yes. I noticed much the same thing. I don't have too much experience with actually listening/analysing MC as a lyricist, but I think this is a very genuine and well crafted piece of work. Rather organic, as you say. Judging from a few mannerisms that I think I can detect, that really "reeks" of Tom, I'd say that over 40 years as a side man and co-composer to one of the best in the field has left its marks. I think he paid attention. That's not gonna make Tom's way with words and imagery easy to douplicate, but obviously, now finding himself in a position where he can allow himself to work more and harder on this aspect of the music, has helped some. If the rest of the upcoming album features more lyrics on this level, this is really promising to me. Better than expected, dare I say. Again, very impressed.

If it came out down the line that this was a leftover TP track from the late 70s that was never recorded I would not be the least bit surprised. at the same time, I would actually be stunned if it was not just Mike being the apprentice to one of my favorite songwriters.

Although the TPHB are my favorite band I would list Tom in my top favorite 5 songwriters at best and I would need to give it a lot of thought which I have not done before now.  John Hiatt and James McMurtry would be top 3, not sure quite who would be number one....  Perhaps Bob, or Van...  really hard to say and to be honest I'm not a huge Dylan fan but its impossible not to admire his lyrics. 

That said Mike obviously can easily  recreate the signature Hearbreaker/Mudcrutch sound but the fact he nailed the lyrics so early in the game is really impressive.  I'll need to listen to the full album and studio release for songs that are new, like "Little Irish Girl" for Dolores....  I'm really happy Mike and the band got to play these tunes live for a year or more before committing to studio takes.  

I've said elsewhere that Don Henley's End of the Innocence, and the Johhny Cash and the Heartbreakers album are some of my favorite albums.  No surprise TPHB are over both in parts more so with the Cash album, I always gave credit to Tom for making me love Johnny so much as that album is what got me deeper into that catalog but maybe Mike was more of  a driver for me liking those releases than I had given him credit....  I have to wonder if Mike has a Full Moon Fever album inside him waiting to come out. Wildfloers is too much to ask of anyone aside Tom...  💘

Tom did call him a Co-Captain for a reason... 😎

^ I had a feeling you were into childish things 😀

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I have to wonder if Mike has a Full Moon Fever album inside him waiting to come out.

Really! After seeing all those bathroom jams I hope he does. He should form a trio with Sharon and Marilyn for that one.

17 hours ago, Shelter said:

^ I had a feeling you were into childish things 😀

Guilty! I love the entire McMurtry catalog....  It no surprise James is such a good writer. His Dad is the legendary Larry McMurtry of Lonesome Dove, The Last Picture Show, and Terms of Endearment among others...   the man can write songs that are bone chilling good..  Crawling Back To You is one of my favorite Petty songs for many reasons and Wildflowers tops my list.  James easily could have written that album and CBTY would have trouble standing out in the crowd.... If anyone here loves Wildflowers I strongly recommend you look into James McMurtry.  Too long in the Wasteland is one of his best but its hard to pick a best with him... The Last Picture Show, and Terms of Endearment,

Really! After seeing all those bathroom jams I hope he does. He should form a trio with Sharon and Marilyn for that one.

Sharon and Marylin are wonderful in the Jams...  I would love to see Mike's next release be a solo album with them, as well as Stevie,  the Webb sisters and some of the Heartbreakers on various tracks including Stan...  🥰  Maybe even bring Don Henley in for some kind of duet or backing vocals...  if Jimmy Iovine produced..... wow... just wow... 

Hell if I'm dreaming let him team up with Lindsey Buckingham and watch the FM fans heads explode in anger and jealousy... they are friends as I understand it...   There is NO replacement for Tom, never will be. But Mike is really coming into his own since we lost Tom. I want to see him shine as bright as he possibly can... 

Hell if I'm dreaming let him team up with Lindsey Buckingham and watch the FM fans heads explode in anger and jealousy... they are friends as I understand it... 

Oh hell yeah!  Dream team! (If Lindsey Buckingham is back up to performing again after his health scare). 

On 1/16/2020 at 11:34 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

Hell if I'm dreaming let him team up with Lindsey Buckingham and watch the FM fans heads explode in anger and jealousy... they are friends as I understand it... 

Oh hell yeah!  Dream team! (If Lindsey Buckingham is back up to performing again after his health scare). 

I thought he had continued his tour after taking a few weeks off to recover. I don't personally follow him, only catch bits and pieces here and there...

He has three dates in TN in May for the Beal St Festival.... so he fully recovered... :D