Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Mike's Camel Toe

does Mike use this onstage? Kinda cool! 

Edit to add from the review of the Camel Toe;

Possibly Perfect Pedal

Mike Campbell, ( Tom Petty guitarist) uses one of the originals ( only 25 ever made and Impossible to find). That said I called dunlop about 5 years ago and asked them if they would ever reissue them. They said they didn't know but probably not. Then out of the blue I read that they were gonna Reissue. I bought one pre order and waited about a month to get it. I had a green rhino that was awesome so I already knew how 1/2 of the pedal sounded. Tone is a subjective thing but I love Mike's tone and this thing is Never leaving my board. Love it. I also push it into a wampler Euphoria.( another great pedal). I'm totally happy. Thanks sweetwater.

23 hours ago, nurktwin said:

From what I know Mike uses the original Camel Toe pedal and Tom used a Red Llama pedal. Way Huge Pedals combined the 2 into this new pedal. Mike was trying to get a deal to remake the Camel Toe that would have been called the "Campbell Toe".

Might have to wait for a Campbell toe. 😎  that would be awesome... :) 

Nope, impulse control disorder engaged. Order placed... 

some amazing customer service on that site. Almost creepy level of care. They called my cell phone and left a VM just checking in and letting me know they had my order, do I want a catalog and who referred me.  I said Nurkwin as I don't know your real name.  They separately sent me an email thanking me for my order, a separate order confirmation and a shipping notification all since this morning...   you would think I just bought a 2K guitar based on the level of service. :D 

^   They are great and take care of everything. I've been shopping here for years. My Sweetwater tech is Patrick Weaver and he's been great! I'm sure he knows "Nurktwin" and will help you. Just call him at 1-800-222-4700 x 1333 and mention me, he'll help you out. We have to work together, and so far it's working. BTW, I have no connections to any sites I post here. I just look around and shop and try to pass on the sites and savings to everyone here. I don't make a penny on anything I post. So try looking, maybe you'll find something you like and save some money like I do!

Mine came yesterday and I spent some time with it after the football game (GO SEAHAWKS!).  The good news is - it doesn't really sound like either the Tube Screamer or the OCD pedal. But I can't say I loved it.  I need to spend more time with both halves of the pedal and find my happy place(s).  

OK newbie question having watched the above video. I notice they mention "dirty" sound and I picture that to be the guitar sound on "American Dream plan B" and "I should have know it"  the heavy deep bass with slight distortion also present on Neil Young Hey Hey my my Into the Black.  So is that what that sound is called?  

Now is that sound what the Dirty Knobs are named after???  So cool if that is the case... :D 

I don't think any of the sounds that "Way Huge" say this pedal does is actually there! Way Huge is capitalizing on Tom Petty & Mike Campbell without paying them royalties, and that's wrong. The original "Camel Toe" and "Red Llama" were NOT what Way Huge made them out to be on this pedal. No wonder the price went from $400 to $120!!! Sorry I bought this, But I'll find another way to use it for even better sounds.

I do like that the 2 halves sound different from my other pedals - and different from each other.  I'm OK with the price at $60 for each half, if you look at it that way.  They can each be dialed down to a moderate level of distortion/overdrive and I'm sure I'll find it useful with the band.  I can have one side dialed in with moderate crunch and the other side more intense, then with one step on the pedal I can quickly change the sound during the song for a solo, as required.  Or use them together for a combination of the 2.  I've got more experimentation to do, but I had the Llama side sounding pretty nice last night with my Les Paul Junior.  

Pretty good EQ available on them also.   With the Les Paul Junior for instance - or any single pickup guitar, I have limited "voices" available, but that is enhanced with the EQ on this pedal.  I don't hate it.

I have been enjoying this pedal.  It can do some extreme distortion - which I don't normally use, but it's fun sometimes.  My band played on Saturday night and I used the pedal a little bit, and went straight to the board from there - no amp.  It actually sounded great through the PA (and my in ear monitors).

I had this picture of Mike's board from 2006 and it gives an indication of how he set his up...….

1261132404_MikeCampbellspedalboard.jpg.1354a4dc4b537784f5c5b4ac01079427.jpg