Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Turntables

LOL.............I don't work for anyone, I'm retired. I search a lot of products that I sometimes post if I think someone here might be interested in. And I buy most of these products myself. So I'm not making money, I'm spending it!!!

That's a tough one. I don't think those are made anymore. But, there are inserts to play 1 at a time or even a large adapter that fits over the whole spindle that lets you play a stack of 45's. I'll look around and see what I can find.

A 45 rpm adapter (also 45 rpm record insert, or 45 rpm spindle adapter) is a small plastic or metal insert that goes in the middle of a 45-rpm record so it will play on a turntable. The adapter could be a small solid circle that fits onto the bottom of the spindle (meaning only one 45 could be played at a time) or a larger adapter that fits over the entire spindle, permitting a stack of 45s to be played. The former RCA Corporation introduced a snap-in plastic insert known as a spider to make 45 rpm records compatible with the smaller spindle size of a 33⅓ rpm LP record player. Commissioned by RCA president David Sarnoff and invented by Thomas Hutchison, spiders were prevalent in the 1960s and sold tens of millions per year.

https://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Color-Plastic-Record-Adaptor/dp/B016O6M61E/ref=sr_1_18?hvadid=78134151222934&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=45+rpm+turntable&qid=1574879128&sr=8-18

14 hours ago, Marion said:

Hey Nurk, I’m looking for a turntable that will let me stack 45’s and play them. Can you find me one of those?  

best bet is go vintage player. Garnicks records and tapes is near me in Lowell MA and they restore old players. I would guess most major cities have similar stores in them somewhere. I just got a 50s Zenith record player /radio console in need of some work but it stacks and plays records or at least it will do it properly when they rebuild my idler wheel. Hope to bring it by there sat for an estimate... 

Been thinking to get one of those myself, but so far I have not bought one. The best ones I've found at used gear audio stores. As a great lover of vintage audio play/rec tech, I also frequently visit this site for cool reads and odd machines:

http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/elx/Vintage-RecChangers-HiFi.html

And, while I never in a million yeras saw myself as an advocate for Amazon.com.. (or those old-design-modern-hollow-plastic budget machines, for that matter) But Amazon do seem to have had "retro" stack/changers like this one for sale, seem well bulit enough, but alas.. no more.. At least it could point you towards a brand or type of played to look for elsewhere.. https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Collegiate-Stack-Matic-Turntable/dp/B0002344GQ/?tag=leosm1-20

If I were looking for a stackable turntable, I would hit antique shops and newspaper ads for 60's console stereo's. You may get lucky and find one that works, if not have it repaired. I had these back in the 60's and 70's and one was a 4 channel Zenith stereo with 2 extra floor speakers for rear channels. I think they even had 8 track players in them! Good luck in finding one, I'll keep looking too.

1 minute ago, nurktwin said:

If I were looking for a stackable turntable, I would hit antique shops and newspaper ads for 60's console stereo's. You may get lucky and find one that works, if not have it repaired. I had these back in the 60's and 70's and one was a 4 channel Zenith stereo with 2 extra floor speakers for rear channels. I think they even had 8 track players in them! Good luck in finding one, I'll keep looking too.

sounds like the one my parents had in my old house. They eventually tossed it and If Im not mistaken Side A/B  of Physical Grafitti was still on it. 😢  That sucker could blast and I would love to have one like it.  the one I just got was free to me and is mono with one 12' speaker but seems very nice.  I plan to ask the shop if I can convert it to stereo by switching the RCA plug to two speakers and adding a second speaker to the record storage area...