Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

I wonder

I'm still researching.  This model is actually plywood back and sides (laminated mahogany).  Made in USA, but not solid wood.  I have a price guide that's a few years old now, and these are shown at $600 to $800 in excellent condition - which this one is.  If I wanted plywood, I would probably go with one of the low end Taylor 12 strings like a 150e.  There are a couple of those on my local Craigslist right now for $700, so no shipping and no tax.  

It looks like I'm going to go with a Taylor 150e 12 string acoustic/electric that is on my local Craigslist for $500.  That is about half of what they cost new, and this one is basically new, hardly played at all.  I played a new one at Guitar Center for quite a while the other day, and thought it compared very nicely to my friend's $3,000 Taylor 12-string. the back and sides are laminate - which isn't my first choice, but it did play and sound great.  This will never be my #1 guitar, so I couldn't see spending any more on an acoustic 12.  I will A/B it with my friends expensive Taylor 12, which I am currently borrowing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/150eV8--taylor-150e-12-string-layered-walnut-back-and-sides

So the A/B test went about like I thought it would.  My buddy's 855ce was probably a touch louder, and had a bigger bass response.  It has the larger "GS" body size and rosewood back and sides, so I expected more volume and more bass.  But the 150e has EQ controls and I can dial in more bass if I like.  My buddy's jaw kind of hit the floor when he heard it.  Very impressed.  Me too.  I can't imagine a better playing and sounding 12 string acoustic/electric for $500.  Highly recommended if you can find one for that price.  Completed sales on eBay confirm that they can be had for around that price.

Here's a shot of the Taylor, and my old Martin D-18

Edited to add:  It also takes a capo really nicely.  A lot of 12-strings don't. And it sounds great amplified with the Expressions v2 pickup system.  I also like that they've changed to a 9-volt battery instead of the 2  AAA batteries in series.  Those were a pain to get in and out when replacing them.

Taylor 150e & 1958 Martin D-18.jpg

Edited by TomFest
content