Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

The three best TPATH shows you've seen and why

A show from the ITGWO tour. First time seeing them, tickets were a gift, a lot of ITGWO songs, the newness of it all, the stage setting, etc.

Wildflowers show, outdoor venue, lots of jamming and extended versions of songs, good fun outdoor energy, dancing on the lawn.

A tie between an Echo show or the Pre-Last Dj tour where they debuted three new songs and when they were playing the longest and fastest versions of Too Much Ain't Enough. First time heard new TPATH in a live setting, Can't Stop the Sun and Lost Children making the most positive impression.

Do you have a top three?

cheers

this is a bit difficult but at first blush, a gut reaction, I would say the very first show was one of the most special for me, Rock and Roll Caravan with the Del Fuegos, Georgia Satellites and the 1987 line up of the Heartbreakers in all their glory made just a huge impression on me. 

https://livepetty.com/1987-06-27-mansfield-ma-sbd/  <- Bootlegs courtesy livepetty.com :D

Seeing Tom, Mike and Ben in Mudcrutch at the House of Blues in Boston with general admission floor seats was an amazing treat probably similar to people that saw Fillmore or Troubadour shows so that would be #2, 

I will have to cheat and say #3 is a tie; the Fenway Park show was really amazing. Seeing them in such a historic venue before it became common to have concerts there was an amazing experience. I'm not a sports fan but as lifelong resident of Massachusetts its hard not to be awed walking onto the field at Fenway and being within touching distance of the scoreboard showing the Band on it.... Additionally,  I'm a huge fan of American Plan Part B and the show as a whole blew me away. That it was recorded for MTV was unknown to me but also really added to the show in retrospect.  Its a shame the edited down the set list for TV I have to wonder if we will ever get a full concert of that. Below are the MTV soundboard and an audiene recording of the full set. 

https://livepetty.com/2014-08-30-boston-ma-aud/

https://livepetty.com/2014-08-30-boston-ma-sbd/

I got to see the Boys twice for the 40th and had amazing seats for both shows. Hartford was good, but Boston was even better. The show was very well choreographed and the addition of the Webb sisters helped a lot even though their aerobics was a bit distracting at times they were still at the top of thier game and seeing Tom and the band from the sixth row had me in ecstasy.  So heartbreaking we would lose Tom just a few months later.  

https://livepetty.com/2017-07-20-boston-ma-aud/

The Into the Great wide open tour was also really good and the Great woods show from 91 is hard to leave off of a top three, but this makes 5 shows so I will leave it as a Honorable Mention.  Toms antics with the dragon and the whole production around Don't come around here no more were just an epic adventure and only Pink Floyd did it better with the stage show as far as shows I've seen go... 

Top 3 is next to impossible, but I'll give it a go.

#1 - I'm going to say was '05 at the Gorge on a beautiful summer afternoon/evening. Rated on top not just for the great Heartbreakers performance, but because I saw both shows, and my favorite opener ever - The Black Crowes - were fantastic, and did not repeat a song from one night to the next.

#2  - I'll go with the flight to Reno and drive down to Sacramento for the "pre-Last DJ" show.  Fantastic summer night again at the outdoor venue in Marysville, CA.  They only did one new one (Have Love Will Travel), but what a great show and trip. Stopped off in Tahoe and spent an afternoon there too.

#3  - I'm going with the "Echo" tour - again at the Gorge.  That place is so spectacular, and the band is always great.  And "Echo" is my favorite album.

I pretty much left every Heartbreakers concert thinking it was the best I've ever seen the band.  They just kept getting better all the time. And I haven't even mentioned the Wildflowers show at the Gorge (brilliant).  There I did.  Or any of the shows from the 80's.  With Bob at the Tacoma Dome. That venue sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I saw the band there again for another "Last DJ" show. And how about the 30th anniversary show at the White River Amphitheater just south of Seattle? Hands right on the front of the stage 10 feet from Tom, and Stevie, and Eddie Vedder with him. So many great shows and memories.

19 hours ago, TomFest said:

and my favorite opener ever - The Black Crowes - were fantastic, and did not repeat a song from one night to the next.

That's pretty cool; there's been a few times where an opener and the main act are bands I both want to see and I enjoyed it. Most times it would be a band I didn't care for and so would start skipping opening bands. 

19 hours ago, TomFest said:

I'm going with the "Echo" tour - ......And "Echo" is my favorite album.

I was very happy with the Echo show I saw, the band seemed very energized to me and once again played some nice musical extensions. And while I don't really care about stage settings, the chandelier (?) they used or whatever, rugs on the stage, the whole feel was very cool looking. Jammin Me was a definite highlight and unexpected. I think the show ended with Learnin To Fly or Free Fallin which gave the whole concert an interesting mellow ending. And that tour had my favorite intro to DCAHNM with those syncopated drum beat from Steve.

cheers

cheers

21 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Seeing Tom, Mike and Ben in Mudcrutch at the House of Blues in Boston with general admission floor seats was an amazing treat probably similar to people that saw Fillmore or Troubadour shows so that would be #2, 

Seeing Mudcrutch is pretty rare considering! Glad you got to be so up close.

1987 line up of the Heartbreakers in all their glory made just a huge impression on me. 

https://livepetty.com/1987-06-27-mansfield-ma-sbd/  <- Bootlegs courtesy livepetty.com :D

I have that show, ha ha, funny to think you were there for it. I really like the intro and longer version they played of Jammin Me from that tour; looking at some of the 89 shows it seemed it nearly made it as a more regular song before falling away till the Fillmore run.

I will have to cheat and say #3 is a tie; the Fenway Park show was really amazing. Seeing them in such a historic venue before it became common to have concerts there was an amazing experience. I'm not a sports fan but as lifelong resident of Massachusetts its hard not to be awed walking onto the field at Fenway and being within touching distance of the scoreboard showing the Band on it.... Additionally,  I'm a huge fan of American Plan Part B and the show as a whole blew me away

Nice. It was probably nuts with people singing along to things like Won't Back Down and Free Fallin! 

American Dream Plan B is a pretty good song.

I usually had a gap of  three to four years between seeing TPATH so for the most part, the concerts felt fresh and different from one another. I was quite surprised when they played new unreleased songs in '02 but man, that long crazy version of Too Much Ain't Enough is great. I always recommend the Red Rocks show from that tour both for sound quality, length and performance and Too Much from that show is great.

Of course, from the very generous site:

https://livepetty.com/2002-08-19-morrison-co-aud/