Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

You Got Lucky---best version?

Good question. Original album/single version is hard to beat. I seem to recall a version with some slightly different phrasing going on, that I really love! But I can't quite pinpoint it.

In the mean time, I think this shall we say pirate version, from the classic Minneapolis '99 show is quite fantastic. Especially Mike and Ben sounds crisp and inspired on this one:

On September 24, 2019 at 8:52 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

I've always really loved the video version with the intro of psychedelic kind of music that goes with the iconic song.  Live versions are good but that one is killer and kinda introduced me to the band. 

I realize this is a bit off topic but did you see the 7/10/99 Echo show in Boston? Or Mansfield actually? That's one of my favorite TPATH bootlegs, if you haven't heard it I highly recommend it.

cheers

13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I realize this is a bit off topic but did you see the 7/10/99 Echo show in Boston? Or Mansfield actually? That's one of my favorite TPATH bootlegs, if you haven't heard it I highly recommend it.

cheers

Its weird, I have stubs for shows in 87, 89, 91,95, 08, 10, 14, 16 (Mudcrutch) and 17.  I know I had floor seats for 02 at the garden as my first child was in my wife's belly for the show which I vividly recall but I cant find a stub for that show..** I don't remember sitting out any tours until after our kids came..   I think the years after 95 were the start of the awful self printed 8"x10" sheets from Ticket Master and those "stubs" for the most part   I know I missed the 05 tour as my youngest was only a few months old, but I cant say I recall missing other tours.... so I might have been there * for that as a long way of answering... ;)   

* I now make it a point to pay a few extra bucks to have real tickets shipped to me whenever possible due to this issue.  I compiled all my stubs into a frame with the 40th anniversary pic of the band sitting on the equipment cases that was part of the HCC package and know that some stubs are missing... 

**  OK thinking on this some more, I remember being at a tour where The Allman Brothers opened for the boys as well as another band before them, I either went to the show in CT or Mansfield for that one. looking at Setlist FM it does not look like that was 99 so IDK 🤣😂🤣   I HATE Ticketmaster... :(   downloading the 99 Great woods show and will put it into iTunes for a listen soon. :D

*** OK I have listened to the show as I recall the error in the folder calling the show as "Mansfield PA" instead of MA....  will listen again... 

Edited by Hoodoo Man

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

87, 89, 91,95, 08, 10, 14, 16 (Mudcrutch) and 17. 

Wow!

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

OK I have listened to the show as I recall the error in the folder calling the show as "Mansfield PA" instead of MA....  will listen again... 

Maybe post your thoughts on the show when you've the chance. I've mislabeled a few folders my self from time to time ha ha.

cheers

49 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Do you like the song on its own, like let's say on Greatest Hits or in concert? Did you like the first clip I posted, that version of it?

cheers

The song is not one that I particularly enjoy. The keyboards spoil it for me. Sorry Benmont.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The song is not one that I particularly enjoy. The keyboards spoil it for me. Sorry Benmont.

Fair enough. I wonder if you'd feel differently if they'd recorded it during another era and just went with piano or organ. I don't think they ever did this one acoustically but I could be wrong.

cheers

On 9/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

I've always really loved the video version with the intro of psychedelic kind of music that goes with the iconic song.  Live versions are good but that one is killer and kinda introduced me to the band.

Same here! Vividly remember afternoon after school when I saw that video for first time. Band went from being "cool band my older siblings / friends listen to", to them being the genius band we all know & love 😉