Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

Eddie and Ric RIP

I want to acknowledge the passing of a couple amazing musicians this past weekend.  Although losing Eddie Money or Ric Ocasek was not the same gut punch as losing Tom was its still a major loss to the classic rock community.  Tom and Eddie were certainly friends and Eddie had some nice things to say when Tom passed away. I grew up in the 70s/80s and want to share a fond remembrance of that time with my fellow Pettyheads.  

I don't recall exactly how old I was when I started riding my bike to the local library but I can narrow it down to between 13-15 years old more likely the younger time point, it was about 2 miles and included a brutally steep hill getting there (and a blissfully fun hill coming back I might add) but for a few New England summers I would ride my bike to the library to borrow some records. My parents had one of those huge old console record players and I would periodically when nobody was home let that sucker blast at 11 on the dial and the thing rivaled the stereo I have now for loudness.  Foreigners Juke Box Hero was a favorite, loved the Doors and Zepplin and was discovering our Tom.  Eddie Money had a few albums I borrowed often Just loved to listen to Shakin at full blast and I'm sure the No Control album played a role in my tinnitus. Still have the vinyl for that one after all these years as I eventually bought myself a copy...  :) 

being from Mass I was always a fan of the local music scene and loved Aerosmith, the Del Fuegos and Til Tuesday, but the Cars had a very special place in my heart and Let the Good time roll was always one of my favorites, loved damn near every song they released but towards High School they had one of their last big hits with Magic to me the way Boys of Summer defines the end of summer that song starts it.  Ric and the Cars are one of the few artists that I will not only not change the dial on the radio when they come on, but I have to turn up just a little bit louder.  

The great gig in the sky is getting better every day and the world is a bit dimmer with the loss of each of these greats.  RIP Ric and Eddie! Your music will on in my mind forever. :)

Oh, such sad news. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing such poignant memories.

Golly, that video where he's walking on water in the pool! (Looking more than a little like Nick Cave? No? Okay, that's just me.)

I guess The Cars for me is their lovely haunting "Who's Gonna Drive You Home?" I looked up the MTV video, but, alas, I have no memories of seeing it... So the song would've been via radio. And likely to have been played over & over for years, given how well I know the lyrics. 

The other Cars' song in my memory is the one that's not "Jesse's Girl", but is, uh, wait, yes - "My Best Friend's Girl". (!)

Yes, sadly the hits just keep on coming.  I wasn't a big Eddie Money fan, but I certainly remember him all over the radio.  The Cars on the other hand were huge for me.  I was just getting into electric guitar when their first album hit, and some of those were fairly easy to figure out the chords.  I saw them on their first tour - still have the program.  Coincidentally, I've been listening to some bootlegs of The Cars recently and watched an early performance a few days ago.  Rick Ocasek had a unique voice and a unique look on stage.  He didn't put on much of a stage show, but he sure could write, play, and sing.  RIP, Eddie and Ric.

Next to TPATH's greatest hits I think the Cars is one of the best collections of a group's songs. I've not heard much beyond those songs but I think they're fantastic. The Cars are a very unique sounding band and their mix of riff, melody and synths somehow make them feel timeless. Moving In Stereo, Dangerous Type, BFG, Good Times Roll...I've heard them for years but still think they're quite good! Just What I Needed intro is wonderfully simple and simply powerful. You Might Think is a perfect pop-rock song. 

Anyway, I was a bit sad to learn about his death. The Cars are a unique rock band, they don't sound like anyone else from a combination of his voice and their layered catchy music.

cheers