Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

El Rey Tom Petty All-Star Birthday Event 10/18/19

Anyone planning on going to the El Rey for the Tom Petty All star event?  Looks like Ron and Steve are going to be there along with a bunch of other folks including Jake Thistle and Roy Orbison Jr.  I checked the Fleetwood Mac schedule and its feasible Mike could be at this so I am very tempted to hit the other coast and check this out as its my 20th Anniversary a few days before this and this would be a great way to celebrate for the wife and I...  at the moment GA tix are still available... 

https://www.theelrey.com/events/detail/381698?fbclid=IwAR2CN4F3SBeuU5_IUNp3ypdeDU2oqIAIO1TPjBTHlauL6OZFoyFE9oieNp4

tom-petty-all-star-birthday-event-tickets_10-18-19_17_5d6ffa3997b15.jpg

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
Took a look around, see which way the wind blow
Where the little girls in their Hollywood bungalows
Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light?
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night, City of Night
City of Night, City of Night
L.A. woman, L.A. woman...

That was a lot of fun. Two days of Disney, two days of Tom and the price is right...  Had a blast at this show and took a ton of pics and a couple of videos. Sadly I am running on 6 hrs of sleep for the last two days. Will go through my pics and videos and share the highlights (like me talking with Ron Blair for 15 minutes or so!!!)  Epic cool place the El Rey.  The band was tight and it was a pleasure to see Steve play (and sing!!) and the same for Ron playing and singing.  Will share my impressions of the night when I'm a little less tired but while it was still fresh.  No other actual Heartbreakers showed up but Hattie Webb did sing Stop Dragging My Heart around which I have on video as well as a new song by her as well. 

8 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

my phone seems to hate me and I haven't had time to fight it yet to get pics off my phone and onto the computer.  I did share one song by Hattie to FB so here you go. Cool story is Chris Stills the co-lead shared this on his personal page. :D    The band was TIGHT and she kind of kills it.... 😎:wub:

This is spectacular.  Watched it a couple times already, will probably watch a couple more.  They nail it.  Hattie has such a wonderful voice that fits this song perfectly.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to film and share!

I started using google pictures on my phone and the pics are still transferring. 😂

Saw this video of Jake Thistle from Sunday night at the High hat.  I now see what people see in this kid.... 15 years old and learning to fly....  some of the band here were also at the El Rey...   Wish I had know this was what was on for that one as the High Hat looks miles better than Petty Cash was... our flight wasnt until midnight Sunday so we could have dipped out toes into this set instead of sitting completely exhausted at the airport for a few hrs... LOL 

He was so nice and this song was a lot of fun. I think my phone cut it off half way thru, hoping to finally look at videos today so I can start sharing.  Thanks for sharing it! 

that is Jeff Slate on the left on guitar who was the organizer for the show and next to Steve on the right on guitar and harmonica some of you will recognize Jake Thistle with Ron in the back as always hiding from the limelight. ;) 

I've messaged off and on with Jeff Slate who put on the Petty Birthday thing in LA last year. The show was pro-sho and this is the first pomo release.  :D 

Not sure if they will do  a DVD, stream it or just release the show for free but it is absolutely worth checking out. Last I messaged they were still working on permission to do something so its good to see there has been progress. I  was really hoping to see this again this year but that seems very unlikely given whats happening at the moment and foreseeable future.  A lot of these musicians were phenomenal entertainers.