Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

F Mac in Austealia & NZ 2019

In his remarks, Mike Campbell mentions Rottnest, which is an island off the coast. It's where these super-adorable little fuzzy animals (quokkas) live, which you might've seen bouncing around & photobombing tourists' photos. ❤️❤️❤️ And winning hearts effortlessly on social media. 

image.jpeg.cc57504871fbfb0a5d3c71fcef812f6e.jpeg

4 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

In his remarks, Mike Campbell mentions Rottnest, which is an island off the coast. It's where these super-adorable little fuzzy animals (quokkas) live, which you might've seen bouncing around & photobombing tourists' photos. ❤️❤️❤️ And winning hearts effortlessly on social media. 

image.jpeg.cc57504871fbfb0a5d3c71fcef812f6e.jpeg

That's a cute animal, thanks for posting that!

What did you make of the Fleetwod Mac show? Was it worth it to get to see Mike play? Did you like the concert overall? Bittersweet hearing Free Fallin 'cause of Tom and not having gotten a chance to see the Heartbreakers or more of a celebration of his life and a powerful moment for you?

???

Thnx for asking. You're a bit ahead of schedule... Concert starts in 6 hours & 7 mins. We are eating big lunch so can snack on the go tonight. 😉

Tell you what though, weather matches my mood! Let's hope those musos have chance to explore & catch sunshine. IMG_20190817_135835.thumb.jpg.183f940ef147eaf904bb8bab0bf0bb6b.jpg

Edited by Big Blue Sky
Thought of something else ;-)

Oh, 100% wonderful. Everything just marvellous - music, guitars, crowd supporting their musicians, musicians playing their hearts out. Fleetwood Mac (tonight) are really sensational musicians. I take back any snark I may ever have thought. People who were there for them seemed to love every moment. Everything was golden and the energy just kept building, one fantastic thing creating another.

Mike Campbell exceeded expectations. Chinner was busy passing guitars. Oh, boy, so many beautiful guitars and Mike sure bent those strings. He even put base of guitar on ground and ran slide up and down strings. It was like, hey, why not? And it sounded sensational! He was in the middle of some songs building building the momentum. The others are dancing around & Mike's so precise, keeps playing, absolutely not distracted, building the song. Centre of the storm, but he's actually feeding that increasingly wild storm, you know?

Neil Finn being there created that elusive home-ground advantage. (Even if he's technically from NZ.) We sang along, shone lights from mobile phones. Neil said: "hello Sydney" (roar of welcome), sang verse with people joining in, says "I can hear your Sydney", another verse with all these flickering lights appearing, then "Oh... I can see you Sydney". Beautiful.

Black Magic Woman and Oh Well, Good lord, Mike and Neil melted all our faces. 

Like I say, magic, just golden. No photos, sorry, not sorry, my phone was firmly off & we just focused on the concert. Respect! 

Oh, about Free Fallin', well, moment I saw the Rickenbacker appear on stage & I lost it. I was transfixed. So I remember everything about how Mike played it & created that fzmous sound. But i guess I missed out on remembering most of the singing.

Quite a lot of us, well, me & lots of people near us, stood to show  respect, holding phones flashlights up. So it was like Pentecostal moment (no snakes, though, haha). Or that moment as parade passes by when the crowd spontaneously takes off their hats, or salutes, or throws flowers, or whatever.  Did notice Mike looked down at his Rick for the song, though, rather than into audience.

Anyway, you asked, so hope that answers your question. :-)

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh, 100% wonderful. Everything just marvellous - music, guitars, crowd supporting their musicians, musicians playing their hearts out. Fleetwood Mac (tonight) are really sensational musicians. I take back any snark I may ever have thought. Everything was golden and the energy just kept building, one fantastic thing creating another...Mike Campbell exceeded expectations.  And it sounded sensational!...Like I say, magic, just golden. No photos, sorry, not sorry, my phone was firmly off & we just focused on the concert. Respect!    

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh, about Free Fallin', well, moment I saw the Rickenbacker appear on stage & I lost it. I was transfixed. So I remember everything about how Mike played it & created that fzmous sound. But i guess I missed out on remembering most of the singing.....Anyway, you asked, so hope that answers your question. :-)

I'm glad you had such a good time! Seems like you savored every moment of the live experience which is the best way to be, enjoying what was happening and being in the moment. Your description of Free Fallin' and reaction to it is I figure why they play the tune at all these shows, in fact, you sound like the reason they play at all, their ideal audience, someone who can appreciate both guitar-melting moments and tender thoughtful playing. Glad you got to see Mike Campbell in action and hope somehow the Dirty Knobs make it your way and you can see him bend strings up close in a small club. Either way, glad you got to go and your enthusiasm from the show really came through in your post, thanks for sharing.

cheers

I'm truly glad to hear you enjoyed the show!  I think us Americans really took for granted how amazing he and the Heartbreakers were and how lucky we were that they would play somewhere like Boston and then hit Connecticut and do multiple stops in NY.   I was blessed to catch the Heartbreakers twice last tour and still haven't found my way to a "big show" since then tending toward much more intimate venues.  I don't think I could handle seeing another band cover Free Falling. 😕 

Yeah. As a rule of thumb, I try to avoid listening to favorite songs or music during tragic situations. (Rare in my life, rare in everyone's life, bless us all). But you know? This is to protect the music from becoming stained by future memories of tragedy, sorrow & worry. 

And similar thing is protecting a song from being repeatedly used to represent a theme. Whether that's in an ad selling orange juice or bands showing respect to an idea, or a moment, or a much-loved person. Even, "old Lang syne"... shackled to New Years Eve. Sure, understand urge to show love & respect by covering a song... But...  yeah, I hear you there & agree, Hoodoo Man! People might mean well (let's assume the best) but stuff like that is not fair on the song... It'd be more catharthic for people to use their own imagination & create something from their own heart. (This is just in general, I don't particularly want to go down a memorial song - or a FMac - discussion ;-) )

7 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I don't think I could handle seeing another band cover Free Falling. 😕 

I've been giving this careful consideration ever since buying tickets & once F Mac established setlist for tour. Figured what would feel best would be to shine tiny light from phone, showing it as respect for Mike & his people there. Not because they would notice one person in a huge audience, but because it might be a graceful way to survive a memorial. So to be transfixed by his Rickenbacker was an unexpected & heartwarming bonus...❤️❤️ Mike & Neil Finn playing Free Fallin'...

On 18 August 2019 at 1:42 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

Neil Finn being there created that elusive home-ground advantage. (Even if he's technically from NZ.) We sang along, shone lights from mobile phones. Neil said: "hello Sydney" (roar of welcome), sang verse with people joining in, says "I can hear your Sydney", another verse with all these flickering lights appearing, then "Oh... I can see you Sydney". Beautiful.

Song: Don't Dream It's Over. 

Once the audience calm down, after we've all sung this anthem of song of unity together, Stevie Nicks faces him, hand on heart, says in sincere praise to Neil Finn, "Oh, that's a once in a lifetime song". He says "I might still have a few to come." We rise in spontaneous ground-swell surge, cheering and laughing at this attitude towards Nicks (who obviously meant well but underestimated Neil Finn on his home turf and among his home crowd. 

This one below is from another show, earlier in week. 

Mike, Neil Finn, JohnMcVie played Man Of The World from Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac. You can hear a man in the audience near the person who's recording this say "1966". Only added it to setlist since they came to Australia. This is from another night. But it was equally marvellous when they played it for us. 

And to top it all off, Australian Musician website did this interview with Mike Campbell! Joys of guitar shopping in Lygon Street in Melbourne!! Future plans with Dirty Knobs!!!

Interview is also posted on the main interview thread. 🎸🔇

IMG_0184-662x444.jpg.a2bdd12603eb822d030a8b319e688088.jpg

https://australianmusician.com.au/mike-campbell-interview-fleetwood-mac-heartbreakers-dirty-knobs/

^ Super! Thanks for sharing! :)

"We have William Morris (agency) who are going to help us put a tour together."

Sounds good. I once had Philip Morris help me putting a tour together... All but stubbed me out.

If I do anything with The Heartbreakers, the first thing and maybe only thing I would do … was to do what Tom wanted to do, which was to do a tour around the Wildflowers album and have different artists come in and sing the songs. He was going to be part of that. He said, we’ll have Jeff Lynne, you know whoever, Regina Spektor, Emmy Lou Harris … we’ll have different singers come in, they’ll come out and do the songs and we’ll back them up. We had been making rough plans to do that with him, so I know that is something that he would want. 

Here we go again. When MC himself actually ponders these things, putting them in those words, it actually seems like perhaps it's not totally impossible after all. Despite my own initial scepticism, I guess I can see way to make that happen.. If Mike says so, I might consider becoming a believer. He says he ain't ready and I very much respect that. Still, chances are that by the time they get ATR out in any shape or form, we'll all be quite past our prime and the moment will be over. Either way, it's interesting to hear him speak about all these things in terms like that. Makes me feel sligthly hopeful. For him! No matter what end up happening with "The Macs" or the moods and whims in the TP Heir Office. I don't know how to put it - reading this piece makes me very... well.. proud of Mike. He's the man.