Skyfreighter

New news on Learning to Fly video? Extras etc.?

I'm hoping maybe someone has found new info on the making of the Learning to Fly video from 1991 in Tucson. I've got some to share that I have not seen posted. I've had no luck on the pool scene. The nightclub scene was filmed at the Gaslight Theater there in Tucson. Still there and very popular. The stage arrangement is still the same. The Jimmy Hendrix double was a local diner chef. The beautiful painted girl who stole the show is still a mystery to all it seems. I hope she is alive and well and happy. She danced beautifully. I think that all the dancers were U of A students. Any news would be welcome.

Much appreciate hearing from you! I fly for a living so the planes are a day at the office. Looks like a lot of Convairs, a Grumman Albatross and a couple of Beech 18s with a B-25(maybe) thrown in. I'm really interested in the final scene since the painted girl seems to simply have vanished. I've been able to find the names of several extras and dancers etc. but the final scene seems to be the toughest.

BTW- Tom was right. Coming down is the hardest part. LOL

Tom always said it like he saw it. I think he may have meant kooks. It's his attitude toward his calling that made him the ultimate professional he became. He just did what he did. Always had a plan for how. Never forgot who he was. To me that defines success in anything. I'll bet he's still writing.

Hey Big Blue Sky. Just remembered. The boneyard where they filmed the aircraft segments is now owned by K- Tech Aviation. You'll notice that most of the cockpit windows on the aircraft are missing. The reason for that is that used, serviceable windscreens bring a premium in sales. New are rediculously expensive. (Spent many years as a mechanic on aircraft). One thing I noted after about 6000 viewings of the video! Duh on me! Lot of the older birds are still active. Cheers!

B) yeah, totally agree, that article is well written, isn't it? As a bonus, here are 2 extra images from the article (that I didn't include earlier)... Is it, what, his 3rd cover of Rolling Stone? I like the hat. Actually,  what really caught my eye was the next line under your yellow highlighter - about how it's good for a band not to have any assholes & so they take turns!! I dunno, just makes me laugh. In his somewhat snarky comment about his earlier band & whoever it was who got under his skin, I guess we can safely assume he's not referring to Mike Campbell or Benmont Tench or Jim Lenahan! 

Good luck, sky freighter, with your ongoing search for the dancer... Just captured your imagination, hey? Highlights for me would probably be the bomb flare over the horizon & the teenagers hugging after the car-crash. And the clouds too, based on reading how they were quite prepared to hang around for days in the heat, just to get the right clouds. 

So interestIng there, about what you say about aircrafts' cockpit windows being cannibalised for other planes.  Good to hear aviation industry is reusing & recycling parts. If you like Heartbreakers & you like planes, can see how Learning To Fly is the perfect song for you! 

image.thumb.png.1ffe245405538b4b57c80992733106e1.pngimage.thumb.png.63c6ed9fae4ef7db68d938a4377c1087.png

Also, see this? A site called bathroomwall.com that makes fan /pop culture / homage logo t-shirts. 

• "There is just something about Tom Petty that makes you feel great. Whether it is his honesty and integrity that lead to his stand against the greed of the record industry or just that laid back delivery that makes even the coldest day feel like summer hanging out with friends in the sunshine; it is impossible not to love the man. And it is Tom Petty's ability to recall a simpler time that inspired this Learning To Fly T-shirt." image.png.9cc16a058c6aac5babd8497f61606b05.png

Hey Big Blue Sky! Gotta say - you are the bomb! I'm gonna get one of those shirts! I've been a pilot for so long that I sometimes take it for granted. But I'll tell you this. The late night flights, say Ontario to El Paso are too awesome. I wish everyone could experience one from the cockpit. John Gillespie Magee Jr. wrote a poem called High Flight. He was a Canadian Air Force pilot killed in a mid air over England in 1941. He's been an inspiration to me my whole career. You might like it.  And , I have to admit, the painted girl means a lot to me. Couldn't say exactly why. I don't think we ever met. Just something. I'll keep at that one. If I ever do find out- won't tell. I really enjoy and appreciate your input. Thanks much! Look foreward to the next info exchange. Take care!

Awwww, thank you right back! You've made my day!! Enjoy B) flying those planes & listening to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers & wearing that t-shirt! Possibly even all at once? 

High  Flight. I looked it up & remembered it when I saw it. "Oh, yes, that flying poem about swooping through footless halls!" 

Remember reading & analysing High Flight in class as part of war poetry, back in the day, would you believe? It's a vivid memory because just like you, our teacher really appreciated John Gillespie Magee Jr & his poetry had a special place in her heart. 

Okay, off topic of Tom Petty, but still on topic about creative process. Would you all know the short story about an RAF pilot flying his Vampire jet home for Christmas? It's called "The Shephard" by Frederick Forthyth. 

Here it is being read (in case it's new for any of you). Then a minute or so of Forthyth telling how he created it. Not exactly containing plot spoilers, but I'd watch the interview after the story, if I were you. 

On it. Looks like the picture is of a British Mosquito Bomber. Very fast but made entirely of wood. Bad for the pilot if hit by flak! Very interested! I'd bet Tom would have been interested as well while writing. Thanks for the reference. I'll definitely look into it. Live in a jet. So I get the urge to use the speed to get home. Do it weekly. Pretty sure I can sneak the shirt in on one of the trips.LOL

Just watched it . So absolutely cool! Can't thank you enough. All I know will see this. I can't believe I've never seen it before. Thank you. Its what happens when you get those wings. Always someone (Air Traffic Control) who brings you home on the worst of the trips. They always bring you home. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Remember reading & analysing High Flight in class as part of war poetry, back in the day, would you believe? It's a vivid memory because just like you, our teacher really appreciated John Gillespie Magee Jr & his poetry had a special place in her heart. 

1 hour ago, Skyfreighter said:

Where did you go to college? No need to answer if too intrusive. Just curiosity. My training I guess.

:lol: ... that's okay, good question... it was during high school literature class, actually, not college,  so would've been only 16-ish.

36 minutes ago, Skyfreighter said:

Just watched it . So absolutely cool! Can't thank you enough. All I know will see this. I can't believe I've never seen it before. Thank you. Its what happens when you get those wings. Always someone (Air Traffic Control) who brings you home on the worst of the trips. They always bring you home. Thank you!

Hah! Glad you like that. I was listening to it too, making sure I wasn't recommending a dud. Jeez, actual goosebumps, from the moment he first sees his compass wobbling off course. What a cracker of a story, it tells itself.  And yes, agree the Brit's name "Shepherd" patrol is lovely! Let's hope when you share it, there'be some freaked out / spooked out pilots now. Just hopefully not while flying, lol. 

And to think Forthyth wrote that in one sitting. Phew. Back to Tom Petty's creative process, it's similar to how people say some of his songs, like Wildflowers, just somehow flowed out already finished.  Some might say, in perfect form - certainly good enough. As a non-aviation person, all the aircraft details were good enough for this reader. 

Well put. When we're out there sometimes the only thing we have is the voice on the other side. Really the "shephard". It really hit home how many times I've been vectored home to whatever airport I was trying to get into by ATC (Shephard). Couldn't have done it without their help. You have a fine eye for the aviator! Can't thank you enough. So now we see where Tom Petty maybe saw something. I know he did a ton of Charter flights. (Just FYI Part 135 Air Charter) so he got a lot of access to the crews. Coming down is the hardest part. Crossing restrictions (altitude), speed restrictions etc. and just plain having to land. Bummer. Blessings for the video! My daughters will love it. They always wonder how I've made it this far.LOL . Thank you!

Sorry. hate this computer. Anyway, he was who he was. not really a need to dissect him. An amazingly talented guy who actually hated doing music videos. And ended one of the best video bands. Ironic. But his music lives on . Influences us. Changes our mood. Sometimes our whole course. Many times mine. Just new insight. I don't think he would have wanted to be under a microscope. We all do, or hope to do. what we're called to do. He did, you do, I do. He was simply the best at it because it was his calling.. He left a remarkable legacy. Just because it's what he did. A gift to the world. He probably never saw it that way. See ya soon. Be good