Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Farm Aid 1985 & 1986

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers played in the first & second Farm Aid Concerts. As you know, Farm Aid concerts raise money and awareness for family-owned farms, who were doing it tough back in 1985 & are still under pressure today. 

This came up as a topic in another discussion, so it seems fun to create a new topic just for Farm Aid! 

image.thumb.jpeg.55512354e357fc90af2a0d7700e9e471.jpeg

• There's a full recording on YouTube of the first Farm Aid Concert, held in Champaign, Illinois in September 1985. Vision is fine. Unfortunately, sound quality isn't great - there's a hell of a hiss. 
  • Another one also in YouTube is incomplete (part 1 but where's part 2?). Crucially for us, it's the not even the part with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers :D, so who cares, right?

So next option, for now, seems to be all the individual songs. These are posted on youtube by Farm Aid. Arranged here in the order that  Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers played them:

Just for contrast, here's Refugee earlier in year at Live Aid. In the planet suit! 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

Spike has long been one of my favorite songs and despite having seen Tom over 10 times since 87 he never played it live on a tour I saw. :(  

I finally saw Spike at the 2014 Hypnotic Eye tour in San Francisco. It was pretty remarkable that for all the shows I had been to—more than 40 since 1991—they played 9 songs I had never heard out of 19 songs in the set that night