Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Benmont's Summer Tour 2019

image.thumb.jpeg.d3030572e2549b26d48ffb5f10647a7e.jpeg

Hi, as we know, our favourite piano playing legend (drum-roll) Benmont Tench (applause) is currently touring¬†along the Northern California coast.¬†:wub:¬†¬†According to setlist fm, on 18th July 2019, Benmont played these songs at The¬†Chapel in San Francisco! ūüéĻūüéĻūüéĻ

• Love Will Tear Us Apart¬†(Joy Division)¬†interesting song choice, not one I would've thought he'd go for¬†
  • I Will Not Follow You Down
  • Welcome to Hell¬†(Mudcrutch)
  • Veronica Said
  • I Want to Know Why Love Is Not Enough
  • If She Knew
  • You Should Be So Lucky
  • Wobbles
  • Lucille¬†(Little Richard) (with Sylvie Simmons (?), ukulele and vocals)
  • Shot of Love¬†(Bob Dylan)
  • Corrine Corrina¬†
  • Dogs on the Run¬†(TPATH)¬†:)¬†yay!! I love "Dogs on the Run" from "Southern Accents" album. But was it that one - or their¬†other song by the¬†same name???
  • Roll over Beethoven¬†(Chuck Berry)¬†
  • The Melancholy Season
  • Dogwood
  • This Is a Good Street¬†(Mudcrutch)
  • China Doll¬†(Grateful Dead)
  • Pledge
  • American Girl (TPATH)

Someone's posted on YouTube their audience videos of Corrina Corrina, Roll Over Beethoven, China Doll & American Girl. I'm just pausing on that for a moment, though. Respect.... Unlike during Mr Tench's last tour, I haven't read anywhere that he has asked people not to share footage of him playing his more intimate songs, including American Girl. Sorry, too many negatives squished into one tiny sentence! In other words -  what's the go? Shall we assume it's standard mobile phone bootleg & it's okay to repost songs from YouTube... unless we hear that Benmont says something about this issue during a show? I think last time the issue was about allowing himself to be particularly raw & vulnerable onstage for one song for a very special live moment. 

Anyway. I sure hope it's okay to repost, especially if he plays Dogs On The Run again & someone records it! I will plotz! (translates as "explode with joy"). 

In other, kinda unrelated topic, I listened to The Beatles Live At Hollywood Bowl album this week. Sure, it's one thing to know that audiences screamed the whole time. But actually hearing the screaming, soaking through the Beatles' music, the whole time, is so intense... It's like a wild animal or a howling wind, it has a powerful life of its own. I felt deeply uneasy ...& that's me listening in the safety of my home to a recorded concert years later. My sympathy is absolutely with George Harrison!

Well, speaking as a big fan of California myself (I hope they get out before it's too late ūüėĀ ) but not sure how it matters, or why I open this post that way, I really can't wait to hear Ben's take on¬†Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Yet, wait is what I'll do. Inpatiently. That being one of the best ever tracks, now done by the world' s probably best and most... well.. Key player.. makes it endlessly intuiging to me. (As soon as a video shows, please drop link here, anybody!)

In addition to that, thanks kindly for the report in all generalness. Love keeping track of where the road takes Ben these days!

I went to the Chapel last night and it was a very moving show. He played a number of great new songs, so it was a great way to experience them for the first time. "Dogs on the Run" was dazzling.

Benmont stayed and met fans after the show for quite awhile. Could not have been gentler or nicer. He told me he's particular excited to play in Big Sur tonight.

Okay, so, here are the songs. I take it from the absence of mention in Peterdimples review that Benmont didn't mention anything about not filming? The last one is "American Girl". I haven't actually watched them yet myself. 

Sorry, Shelter, nothing on Joy Division yet. 

Housekeeping - someone on YouTube called "demand" posted some random electronic noises, labelling it Benmont Tench San Raphael 2019. I don't swear much but that's fucked up. Seriously, what a waste of time by this "demand" person, whoever they are. Such people don't show any basic respect to the very musicians /artists they might claim to be a fan of - their actions reflect poorly on themselves.

Alright, put your hands together for Misterrrr Bennnnmont Tennnnch‚ÄľÔłŹ¬†

Lucille

Corrina Corrina

Roll Over Beethoven

China Doll

American Girl

15 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Really? A four line review?? Please, more!! 

Henry Miller Library in the Big Sur (from quick google search). 

image.jpeg.952660ce7d9ab57a4d7b50b8067d127e.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7936fa1c9623f24590f2fd9300f53bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.c03d2f38bde226630b130e7750bfb6d2.jpeg

This is Big Sur?  I love it.  That looks amazing. I think I want to spend some time there.

^ I think you would.. and probably should! (Visible is what you will get on one side of the road, for most of it - woods. On the other side: the ocean.) Problem is, once you get there, you will wanna stay.

(And yes, the HM library is not a bad feature in itself. VERY cool place.)

35 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

that is a beautiful locale, sitting there, reading a library book, sipping Maxwell House before a concert...

The air vibrating with those certain Tenchy tunes.. you know 'em..

Benmont's open air evening concert at Henry Miller Library.

Shot Of Love (Bob Dylan. FYI for any non-Dylan-fans out there, Benmont & Heartbreakers are on the original recording too...)

Dogs On The Run (Yes - is from Southern Accentsūüźĺūüźĺ), Back In¬†The USA (Chuck Berry) & Under The Starlight (;)¬†how¬†very witty & appropriate!).

I'm heroically re-posting these before listening. I had a tiny peek to confirm which Dogs were running, but only for few seconds. 

6 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Benmont's open air evening concert at Henry Miller Library.

Shot Of Love (Bob Dylan. FYI for any non-Dylan-fans out there, Benmont & Heartbreakers are on the original recording too...)

correction Shot Of Love (Bob Dylan. FYI for any non-Dylan-fans out there, Benmont & Heartbreakers are on the original recording too...) 

Dogs On The Run played that way.  :wub: I had faith that Mr Benmont Tench playing solo would be special. So grateful to be able to hear & see this recording. His interpretation is beyond, just beyond, anything I could've possibly :wub::wub::wub:imagined. Thank you!!!

On 7/29/2019 at 3:55 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

correction Shot Of Love (Bob Dylan. FYI for any non-Dylan-fans out there, Benmont & Heartbreakers are on the original recording too...) 

Yes. Benmont explained his "first time" with Dylan in an interview.

It was Iovine who took him to the studio. They were recording "Caribbean Wind". Finally Dylan sent Iovine to his home. He didn't want that guy near him anymore. But Benmont stayed there. :)