Sign in to follow this  
Mr Timba

Two men talking (American treasure) lyrics

We got two men talkin' right outside my door. Yeah. We got two men talkin' right outside my door. Said they made my boy a soldier. Sent him off to war. Well, are youse gonna stand? No, I can't say for sure. No, I can't. 

Well, I got one wheel turning. One that's off the tracks. Well, I got one wheel turning. One that's off the tracks. I can put all I own inside a paper sack. Well when the hard times come, you're gonna see who's got your back. Sure will. 

Yeah, I lost that good woman. Lord, she left me twice. Yeah, I lost that good woman. Lord, she left me twice. Well, I shoulda tried much harder. Tried to treat her nice. I used to be someone that I don't recognise. Ain't that true.

Well, we got two men talkin'. Talking by the rule. Well, we got two men talkin'. Talking by the rule. Well, they put me  down. And it hurt more than it showed. I heard one man laugh. Said "Brother, we tread a heavy load." That's right. 

... Is my guess. Hope this helps you! 

As it's written above, the first verse doesn't make much sense if it really is Wellare youse gonna stand?  Unless maybe... It might make more sense if we hear this as an old-style blues call & response. And if we do, then who's in the first verse & what's giving them their grief? 

• We got two men talkin' right outside my door. Yeah. We got two men talkin' right outside my door. Said they made my boy a soldier. Sent him off to war. Said they made my boy a soldier. Sent him off to war.
  • Well, are youse gon uh'stand? 
  • No, I can't say for sure. No, I can't.  No, I can't say for sure. No, I can't.

Military police on the front steps outside family's screen-door. They're saying the son's army unit is being deployed to a war zone. Maybe also, this is happening during compulsory military conscription, such as during the Vietnam War? They made my boy a soldier

Emotional response within parents... trying to come to terms with this news. Understand makes more sense than just stand. So, full sentence might be: Well, are you going to understand? But with TP singing with an accent & fitting the words into the rhythm it begins to sound more like: Well, are youse gon uh'stand? 

Then sense of family being overwhelmed in grief & crying "No, oh no, no... I will never understand why my son has to go off to war"

(Could easily be wrong, but kinda feels true for me.)

I think maybe swap "youth" for "youse", and "road" for "rule", and you're pretty close.   But this song is a good example of Tom just riffing words as he goes.  Making stuff up on the fly.  He was really good at that.

It's easier to catch the lyrics when you can watch him sing.  Check out the "Soundstage" version of this song and the lyrics are quite different.  He's mixing and matching parts of verses together.  I also love Mike's little tribute to Jerry in his solo.  At least that's what it conjures up for me.  Mike's got his "Lucy" Les Paul and also does this sweet bit with just harmonics.  Very cool.  Ben also goes off for a while, something like Melinda.  Which makes some sense in that they're pretty similar songs, and both one-chord songs.

Well we got 2 men talking..........talkin' by the road

yeah we got 2 men talking.........talkin' by the road

I heard one man say.....boy I'm carrying a heavy load

yeah I heard one man say......brother I'm carrying a heavy load

Yeah I got one wheel turnin'.........and one won't go around

yeah we got one wheel turnin'.........and one won't go around

yes when my work dries up.......I'm gonna try another town

yes when this work dries up ......I'm gonna try another town

Yeah I got 2 men talkin'............talkin' right outside my door

yeah we got 2 men talkin'.........right outside my door

said they made my boy a soldier........and they sent him off to war

yeah they made my boy a soldier.......and they sent him off to war......sure did

Yeah I got 2 men talkin'............talkin' right outside my door

yeah I got 2 men talkin'.........right outside my door

I heard one man say.....brother I'm carrying a heavy load

yeah I heard one man say......I'm carrying a heavy load......and he was