tarquin

Lost Universal Master Tapes

Tom’s estate suing Universal over lost recordings from fire.

what do people think he lost here ?

already had a massive amount of archive stuff remastered, released & presumably digitised over the years (Playback, Live Anthology which must have been drawn from huge amount of sources, bonus/unheard tracks on recent releases, DTT re-release) Presumably Wildflowers All The Rest OK, as indicators are he was working on that after 2008

FWIW I saw this post by “ryan de topanga” on a different forum:

The good news is that the stereo analog masters for every Universal album are intact, as we used those to remaster for Hi-Res and vinyl a few years ago. Also, every multitrack that I've requested over the years has been available. Some on the original 2" analog, and some as digital transfers. Outtakes and unreleased songs that were not "masters" for the specific songs on each album stayed in Tom's vault. The estate is currently requesting from Universal a full accounting of the multitracks.

15 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

that the stereo analog masters for every Universal album are intact --- every multitrack that I've requested over the years has been available --- Outtakes and unreleased songs that were not "masters" for the specific songs on each album stayed in Tom's vault

It's still fun to sue, though. Gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:03 AM, Arete411 said:

FWIW I saw this post by “ryan de topanga” on a different forum:

The good news is that the stereo analog masters for every Universal album are intact, as we used those to remaster for Hi-Res and vinyl a few years ago. Also, every multitrack that I've requested over the years has been available. Some on the original 2" analog, and some as digital transfers. Outtakes and unreleased songs that were not "masters" for the specific songs on each album stayed in Tom's vault. The estate is currently requesting from Universal a full accounting of the multitracks.

8 hours ago, TPHB1976 said:

What do you mean by “multitrack you’ve requested”? Do you need some special reason to obtain one of these?

Based on the user name and context I made the inference that this was a comment by Ryan Ulyate.