under-them-skies-of-blue

Unheard Song From The Mojo Sessions?

Mark Felsot posted in the TPN Facebook group this morning that they’re doing “Mojo Madness” all weekend on TPR since it’s Mojo’s 9th birthday. 

What interested me specifically was his mentioning that they’ll be playing a song from the Mojo sessions never before heard on TPR. I guess what I’m wanting to find out is, has it also never been heard by me? 😂

I don’t currently have TPR, so if anyone’s listening this morning and hears the song, would you mind sharing what it is? The suspense is killing me! 😂

(and if anyone happens to record it if it’s not something we’ve heard before, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to anyone sharing it 😜😂)

Just heard it for the first time. How cool! I've always wished that this song had made it onto the actual album. Scott does a great job on the harmonica on this track, and the rest of the band is locked in as usual.

47 minutes ago, seltaeb said:

Just heard it for the first time. How cool! I've always wished that this song had made it onto the actual album. Scott does a great job on the harmonica on this track, and the rest of the band is locked in as usual.

This just makes me want to listen to it so much more! I've got my fingers crossed that it ends up on YouTube or somewhere sometime soon. I guess until then I'll just get my fix from what you can hear on the Mojo doc 😂

Thanks for the share! Great!

As much as Im not very much certain about those lyrics, so to speak... What's the deal with the International Personal Assistants Association anthem approach... donknow.. Musically though.. must say, this is so far the finest "blues" effort ever to surface by TPATH, IMO. Really groovy execution, perhaps especially by Ben (I always loved when he got to pump it out like this) and then.. all of it framed by that almost spooky presence of Tom's dry wit and comments.. Then again, Two Men Talkin' studio version, that showed up only on An American Treasure last year, was another "blues" high mark in my book, so who knows what else is left in the vaults in terms of blues gems. They seemed bent on playing this type of material in what was to become their latter years and to include some of it on their albums too.. but so far.. two of their finest "blues" moments proved to be discarded for other tunes. 

^ Yeah.... amazing! Didn't even remember so much of the track being included in that Mojo promo doc/video. Kinda random, considering it wasn't making the cut for the album. (Or maybe it actually did, up til the very last minute....)

Just ironic to me, how Mojo became such a loong, winding and slightly scattered 15 course meal, even with no less than three of their better and tastier servings of the era left in the sink... Very prolific era. Or perhaps a few less optimal last minute decisions.... (I've said it before, how I think Mojo would've been a much better album held at perhaps 12 tracks and including the castaways. This is even more obvious to me with Help Me added to the potential line up.)

On 7/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, DogOnTheRun76 said:

Help Me

Here you go guys and gals, Enjoy!

Thank you so much!

On 7/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, Shelter said:

Just ironic to me, how Mojo became such a loong, winding and slightly scattered 15 course meal, even with no less than three of their better and tastier servings of the era left in the sink... Very prolific era. Or perhaps a few less optimal last minute decisions.... (I've said it before, how I think Mojo would've been a much better album held at perhaps 12 tracks and including the castaways. This is even more obvious to me with Help Me added to the potential line up.)

After watching the "Making of Mojo" mini documentary years ago, I instantly wondered why "Help Me" wasn't on the actual album. I agree it would have made it a better album. Would have been a great live song, too.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, Shelter said:

^ Yeah.... amazing! Didn't even remember so much of the track being included in that Mojo promo doc/video. Kinda random, considering it wasn't making the cut for the album. (Or maybe it actually did, up til the very last minute....)

Totally agree with that sentiment. A bloated album that would be much more palatable if they trimmed the fat. But as I said in another thread, if there's anything this band is good at, it's putting great songs in the vault as trash instead of releasing them. Honestly, the EP is a thing, and with the digital age being a thing for 25 years, when they were between albums, they could've and should've released stuff they knew was great but didn't fit their overall album mold as digital EPs and sell them for 8 bucks.

11 hours ago, TomFest said:

That was cool.  Very "Booker T".  Duck Dunn would have been proud. I need to listen some more, but that was some pretty solid blues from the Heartbreakers.

"Help Me" is "Green Onions" but with lyrics. There's out fun fact for the day lol

5 hours ago, TomFest said:

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of.  And Ben can play that in his sleep.  The Heartbreakers of course covered "Green Onions" on the Fillmore run, wasn't it?

Yup! And at various times in 99. A nice version from 99 is from the Rockpalast show

On 7/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, DogOnTheRun76 said:

Help Me

Here you go guys and gals, Enjoy!

I’ve been moving so I hadn’t seen this until today! Thanks so much! I actually got a Sirius XM subscription for my birthday (yay!), but I’ve only managed to hear the song on TPR once, and I caught it in the middle! 🤣 Your recording is much appreciated!