Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

Best three days.....

June 13 2008  Tom Petty at the Boston Garden,  June 14th 2017; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Joe Walsh at Xfinity center Hartford MA 8th row,  June 15th 2016: Mudcrutch House of Blues Boston.  (Honorary mention to June 27, 1987 my first Petty Concert. :) )  I saw Tom over 10 times in Thirty years and he gave nothing but Amazing shows every time.  

2016 HOB Boston

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.d070443c6bab7b4f738610c2feafbdcd.JPGIMG_0739.thumb.JPG.d14bd39389937af392eb5892cb28096b.JPG

2017 Hartford CT

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

Link to the amazing June 27, 1987 show. https://livepetty.com/1987-06-27-mansfield-ma-sbd/

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

(Honorary mention to June 27, 1987 my first Petty Concert. :) ) 

Wait you actually attended that show, witnessed that set - and still it doesn't make top three?? And here I am thinking how folks that never got to see the pre Wildflowers TPATH (before the no vacancies sign was hung over the set, so to speak) were the ones truly missing out on some crucial aspects of the glory. Not that it's easy to rank these things.. and not that there will ever be objective truths.. but still.. A Thing About You.. comon..

30 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Wait you actually attended that show, witnessed that set - and still it doesn't make top three?? And here I am thinking how folks that never got to see the pre Wildflowers TPATH (before the no vacancies sign was hung over the set, so to speak) were the ones truly missing out on some crucial aspects of the glory. Not that it's easy to rank these things.. and not that there will ever be objective truths.. but still.. A Thing About You.. comon..

It's three days "in a row" albeit in different years. :)  The first show of June 27th easily solidified me as a lifelong fan.  It was an amazing show, I was sixteen, and at Tom Petty concert with three friends, I had just gotten my licence but didn't drive there.  .

The Del Fuegos were amazing and I managed to catch that band several more times including the reunion tour in 2012 and saw Dan Zanes do the children's music thing a number of times including one all star performance where he had Laurie Sargent and the drummer from Morphine and a few other guests for Mothers Day. But Tom and the band were amazing. I had seen a number of shows before this; Triumph, Whitesnake and most memorably Pink Floyd, but there was something special about the Rock and Roll Caravan that hooked me and kept me interested for the rest of my life ( I don't see me losing interest in the band anytime soon.) The crowd had an amazing energy and even from the cheap lawn seats I could tell there was something different with a Petty show.  There were unexpected covers - I still recall being knocked out that they played "should I stay or should I go"  Runaway trains was magical and it was not a greatest hits kinda show.  It was years before I know of any kind of expected set list but Tom had a way of holding the crowd in the palm of his hand.  That my frined was a good time and remains one of the best shows I saw.  :D