Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Question of the day 6/9/19

How about the first time you ever attended a professional sports event?   For me I'm pretty sure I went to a minor league baseball game here in Seattle at old Sick's Stadium in 1968. They get paid so that counts.  But for one of the major sports at the highest level, it was the Seattle Pilots in 1969. Our first Major League baseball team, and they left after 1 year to become the Milwaukee Brewers.  I never forgave Bud Selig for that.  I saw the Yankees for sure, but sadly Mickey Mantle had retired in spring training that year, so I never got to see the Mick play in person. 

Hi all, long time no see.

Because I missed spring training this year, I went to San DIego and saw a three-game series between the Padres and the Mets in early May. Lots of fun; I even had a front-row seat for one of the games. Let's go Mets!

Tomfest: any theories as to why the f*** Edwin Diaz was so unstoppable for the Mariners but not for the Mets? Geez.

Yeah, he was tough last year - but never boring.  Not a lot of 1-2-3 innings as I recall.  Yes, he throws 100 mph, but these guys can hit a fastball.  It's about location, and if he's in the middle of the plate, guys will hit it.  But he's likely to run off 20 saves in a row too, hence the love/hate relationship with your closer.  I'll say one thing, we sure miss him this year.  We can't hold a lead to save our a$$.

Sometimes he reminds me of the Giants' Brian Wilson, who was also rarely boring. I know Diaz has several saves this season but it seems like every time I watch him, he stinks. Maybe I am jinxing him, haha.

Crazy what has happened with the Mariners, especially because they started out so well. Baseball is a strange game!

We're in full purge mode.  They sent Encarnacion (leading the league in home runs) to the Yankees a couple of days ago - for a kid we used to have on our roster that they traded away.  I'm pretty sure they'll dump Dee Gordon (2nd base) as soon as possible - and anyone else that has trade value.  All for re-stocking our minor league system - which was universally considered the worst in all of baseball.  42 years of never winning the penant and we're in last place with the worst farm system in all of baseball.  It is hard to be a Mariner fan.

I've seen Mickey Mantle quite a few times in Cleveland when I was a young kid. Saw him, Roger Maris, Yogi and others hit home runs, even saw Whitey Ford pitch. My father chartered a couple buses each year for double headers between NY & Cleveland, 2 years he even chartered a Pennsylvania Railroad passenger train for the trips to Cleveland!! Mickey was my childhood hero and I'm lucky enough to have 2 baseballs and 1 picture autographed by him. Here's a 1 hour story about Mickey.

Its been so long I cant recall.  I went to a pair of games at Fenway just after  High school (thirty years back)  I saw Tom @ Fenway in 2014 as well as the TD Garden. Do ice capades count? Took the kids to Disney on ice about 8 years back.... not a sports fan as you can likely guess... :) 

Unless pie eating contests count as "sport" - or "professional" - I think perhaps some Giants game at AT&T in the mid or late 00s may have been my last one. But I'm allergic to sports, usually get a reaction of some sort and then have a hard time remembering anything beyond the tailgate Corrs or the pretzels, so... I don't know. Sorry.