under-them-skies-of-blue

The Story Behind "Rick's Airport Recorders"

Hi! I'm new around here (this is my first post, in fact) and I haven't had a lot of time to look around, so I'm sure this question has already been answered, but I'm dying to know: what is the story behind Rick's Airport Recorders? I know Tom mentioned it on every episode of the Buried Treasure Show and that's where he recorded the Buried Treasure Show, but every time I hear him say it, it feels like an inside joke that I'm not a part of 😂

If anyone wouldn't mind to explain the story behind it, I'd appreciate it more than you know!

Cheers! 😁

Hey, hello, welcome! 

Uh, so, good question. In answer, my best guess is it's more part of him having that quirky sense of fun than it being anything too deep or layered in secrecy. Having said that, maybe it had some funny insider meaning. 

I was totally tempted to tease you, but am heroically restraining myself & just :D giving a straight answer. Also, I have a question for you, which is - if you know he mentioned it in every episode, does this mean you've been listening to every episode? If so, wow, impressive & I'm sure you have many thoughts to share. 

PS Great choice of image in your thumbnail there, looking like you've chosen Tom Petty 💘 with Japanese 🇯🇵 paper umbrella☂ during Damn The Torpedoes tour. 

6 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Also, I have a question for you, which is - if you know he mentioned it in every episode, does this mean you've been listening to every episode? If so, wow, impressive & I'm sure you have many thoughts to share. 

I have yet to listen to every show, but I've been listening every day on Sirius due to their being free until June 4th (which is great for me as I'm a broke college kid!). However, I noticed that another member here seems to have all the episodes available for download, so I definitely plan to partake in that! I love the show and I'm gonna be sad when Sirius stops being free next week 😪 but having all these episodes available makes it a lot better! 😁

9 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

PS Great choice of image in your thumbnail there, looking like you've chosen Tom Petty 💘 with Japanese 🇯🇵 paper umbrella☂ during Damn The Torpedoes tour. 

Thank you! If I'm being completely honest, early 80's Tom is my absolute favorite, and that outift he's wearing in that picture is my all-time favorite of his as well! It couldn't be a more perfect pic for me! 

11 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Uh, so, good question. In answer, my best guess is it's more part of him having that quirky sense of fun than it being anything too deep or layered in secrecy. Having said that, maybe it had some funny insider meaning. 

Thank you for answering my question! I'm in a Tom Petty Facebook group and someone had asked the same thing in there to Mark Felsot, but he didn't really give an answer; he just mentioned that Tom had told the story many times on the Buried Treasure Show, so I very much appreciate your input! 😁

A fine choice indeed!

Marion has kindly shared the episodes, so rest assured, you will still be able to listen for your fix! 

Nice, hey? Vox teardrop & polka dot shirt (below)

image.jpeg.affe422cd3422692486db95297c5766c.jpeg 

there are some more photos (maybe about 1 billion, but who's counting) posted by various people on threads which were pinned while active, but have now slipped further down the queue.  You could find them by searching for photo of the day part I, photo of the day part II & photo of the day part III.  Some images you'll doubtless already recognise, of course! Anyway, it's all good fun. Enjoy!

image.jpeg.4debad0160e2677db099c2e4c1b4ed71.jpeg

From what I heard, Tom used to tape the show at SiriusXM studios, but after breaking windows and something about Vaseline spread all over the studio at a party they had at the recording, they were asked to leave and never come back. Thankfully, the show was continued and Tom found a recording studio to use near the LAX airport. Whether the studio was called "Rick's" or not is unknown. Most likely a fake name for radio or privacy purposes, but they did sell t-shirts for "Rick's Airport Recorders" and I have one! That's about as much as I can say and believe it as the truth about that story.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

they did sell t-shirts for "Rick's Airport Recorders" and I have one!

I saw where those used to be for sale a while back! If only I'd been born a few years earlier, I might have been a fan by then and could have snagged one, but if my math is right, I was only 12 when the TP site sold those! 😂