Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

Vote: Dogs on the Run vs Change of Heart - Live 1985

Live 1985 Vote for Your Favorite - Dogs on the Run vs Change of Heart  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer - Dogs on the Run or Change of Heart?

• Dogs on the Run
    • Change of Heart

This should be a no-brainer vote for me; Change of Heart is the better song and is from one of TPATH's best albums. Dogs on the Run is an average as a song off one of their worst.

But...this performance of Dogs is really good. Change of Heart is really good too though, a bit faster. But I barely ever listen to Dogs on the Run so it has the novelty factor going for it. 

Lemme just vote for the  independent candidate...

On ‚Äé5‚Äé/‚Äé28‚Äé/‚Äé2019 at 1:13 AM, TomFest said:

I can't believe "Change Of Heart" is not dominating. It's a far superior song and was a big radio hit.

But it is the far superior song, indeed. In fact one of their best ever in my book. Only, this particular version/recording, at least to me, comes off a bit thin, flat. Even as the keys and the strings are really inspired at times - a few great touches in there, for sure - the tempo and luke warm temper of this take reminds me of less heavy (if totally great in their own way) dittys.. like The Hollies or something, while Dogs makes maximum use of a decent, even beautiful song and treat it to a punch and swagger, that between the phrasing and the instruments - even the horns, yes - takes it quite far beyond the studio original. It swings and rips quite a bit, like a southern infused The Clash.

So to me, Dogs here is a great song made intensely better, while Heart is a perfect song not quite kicking in.

Just purely going on the actual live performance of each song here for me it has to be Dogs On The Run, the Dogs captured my heart, more evocative feeling in the live performance of Dogs than Change Of Heart here for me. No if it were the album version of both songs then Change Of Heart would win hands down...I still complain that the fade out of the album version of Dogs on The Run is far too soon...there was more there that should have been let run......:)

Going by the albums Change of Heart is one of their best; a mix of crunchy guitars and a nice pop melody that compliment one another. But I reckon the fun here is comparing these particular performances in which case Dogs is the better choice; the performance has a certain groove that just works, highlighting the melancholy  with the sense of freedom and buoyant feelings. In a way, it's like they found the true measure of the song on stage instead of the studio.