Sign in to follow this  
peterdimples

Writer compares Tom Petty to Doris Day in mixed review of Echo from 1999

This story was linked on the ExpectingRain website, dedicated to all things Bob Dylan or Dylan-related. With Doris Day's passing, and Tom's being gone, it makes for an interesting read, although I wonder if the writer would have been so flip about "dumb blondes" if his subjects were dead at the time of the article.

https://observer.com/1999/05/tom-petty-doris-day-and-the-art-of-being-dumb/

On May 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM, peterdimples said:

This story was linked on the ExpectingRain website, dedicated to all things Bob Dylan or Dylan-related. With Doris Day's passing, and Tom's being gone, it makes for an interesting read, although I wonder if the writer would have been so flip about "dumb blondes" if his subjects were dead at the time of the article.

https://observer.com/1999/05/tom-petty-doris-day-and-the-art-of-being-dumb/

That's a weird article; disagree with the assessment of Room at the Top; that it kicks in elevates the song, keeps it from being a dreary opening to the record. 

Petty's music isn't dumb, and nor is he judging from what I've seen of him interviewed on You Tube vids. But it isn't unique in its compositions or arrangements either. If it were food, I would say it is the best darned hamburger you're ever likely to eat.  Hamburgers sell a lot - yes? But no one says that they are gourmet or sophisticated. Now you can take that as a compliment or an insult. It's up to you. Whenever I hear one of the TP&TH songs - even my favourite ones (and there are a lot of those) - I feel as though I must have heard it somewhere else before, even if I haven't. I can only conclude that it's well crafted middle of the road American rock written and performed to a high standard - and great for a good ol' singalong during a drive in the car. It certainly puts a smile on my face. But for a concentrated listen through pricey Bose headphones with an eye mask on and the phone off the hook - forget it! 

Maybe it's because I'm a British Girl, I don't know and therefore missing the important subtle nuances of American rock compositions. YOu could be right. But, as things stand with me now - as a true Brit - I can honestly say that the best of American bands - like Petty's band, which is one of the best that has ever been, according to their profile, wealth and record sales  - still doesn't hold a candle the very best of British rock bands for the reasons I've already stated above. 

Ok.. war has broken out. Leap through my computer screen and strangle me...just you try.....:) Over to you....

On June 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM, MaryJane0612 said:

But it isn't unique in its compositions or arrangements either. If it were food, I would say it is the best darned hamburger you're ever likely to eat.  Hamburgers sell a lot - yes? But no one says that they are gourmet or sophisticated. Now you can take that as a compliment or an insult. It's up to you. 

Since no one else has responded, I'll tackle this one. 

Hamburgers? Tom Petty & the Hamburgers? I see what you're saying. I'm going to refine it a bit. Maybe TPATH's music is like a hamburger joint but...

...each burger has the perfect layering of ingredients, where other places throw on a standard amount of garnish, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, etc. TPATH layer on just the right amount of each ingredient, very carefully measured out, with some additional seasonings you won't notice unless pointed out but ones your palette appreciates.

That's not all. In addition to burgers, plain and with cheese, they also offer up the occasional unique grilled cheese, corned beef, turkey and even a veggie burger. While most people come and stay for the burgers, there's the regulars who go for these lesser popular plates and even enjoy the  daily specials.

If TPATH are burger makers than to my taste, the bob segers/bruce springsteens/eagles/james gang/random United States classic rock band are like McDonald's. True they may have a good meal here and there but it's generic processed junk. TPATH are the Mom-and-Pop restaurant, there's something unique about the quality of their food and the care with which they put it together, deceptively simple yet more nutritious and tastier than you'd think.

ciao

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Since no one else has responded, I'll tackle this one.

I don't know.. Was hoping for some more chopping, dicing and braising from your response.. some smoking and curing for sure. You just gonna let it stand like that, raw and hardly plucked?? 

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Let's not be gluttonous.

Hm.. and here I was picturing the type of food fight scene from Animal House. Corn dogs and Shepherd's pies flying I the air..