Sign in to follow this  
Nourdna

Interested in your perspective on the topic of continually pushing promotional merchandise via the official Tom Petty website

On 31 May 2019 at 4:06 AM, Shelter said:

^ Although in his defence, he didn't mean that as encouragement, right...

Hahahahahahahah.  Shelter strikes again, straight to the heart of the issue. 

Whenever I've seen this image (below) online, I've always laughed... until now. Now my blood runs cold at the thought of things to come unless smarter heads prevail. Which hopefully they will. Also, I'm admiring all the more how they handled the divorce situation back in the day. Keeping it as private as possible for as long as possible, I mean. Separating the music & what's in the public eye from what's legitimately private family-only.

• Also, maybe worth noting that as Annakim Petty was born in 1981/82, so & Adria Petty was born in 1974, they've been adults for a while now... Adria Petty's 45ish & Annakim Petty's 37ish. That gives them years & years of building up life experience, professional work-ethic / career and networks of other adults... All of that creates a pool of emotional resilience they can be drawing on now. 
  • They're daughters, yes, but not frightened little girls, nor vulnerable teenagers facing an overwhelming crisis. 
  • By the time Tom Petty was their ages? He & the Heartbreakers had already created 7 albums & were touring the world with Bob Dylan (Annakim Petty's 37ish, so TP in 1987). Touring Wildflowers album & releasing a career retrospective Playback (Adria Petty's 45ish so TP in 1995).
  • In other words, I'm not saying they should be professional musicians too (talent & skill & hardwork aren't always genetically inherited), just using TP's ages as a point of reference.

Personally, I'd appreciate it if tompetty.com covered the basics,

• like having all the albums in stock as vinyl & CD & downloads instead of having only a few at a time. So people can, you know, access the music in a range of media. 
  • Also creating access to high-quality recordings of concerts, like other people have already been saying here.
  • I freely admit, I do like a slogan / logo tshirt - just never when merchandise is a bands' main selling strategy. 

image.png.31efc670107db22e7c8aefe0e4edec5a.png

Also available as a hoodie. :rolleyes:  Don't worry, it's not really advertising a real flying school. The designers at bathroomwall.com say:

There is just something about Tom Petty that makes you feel great. Whether it is his honesty and integrity that lead to his stand against the greed of the record industry or just that laid back delivery that makes even the coldest day feel like summer hanging out with friends in the sunshine; it is impossible not to love the man. And it is Tom Petty's ability to recall a simpler time that inspired this Learning To Fly T-shirt.

"Annakim Petty's 37ish. That gives them years & years of building up life experience, professional work-ethic / career and networks of other adults... All of that creates a pool of emotional resilience they can be drawing on now."

From what I can tell, Annakim has never done a day's work in her life. She's just followed her father around touring, smoking weed and living off a trust fund. Even Adria's 'artistic' outputs, as a videographer working on some films for famous people, was limited to just a few years in the naught-ies. She's done bugger all ever since - admittedly she's been bringing up her daughter. Both girls - who call themselves 'artists' (what a joke) - strike me as being rather too inclined to live off their father's money. Annakim seems rather child-like to me, not to mention self-absorbed, judging by the utter tripe and selfies she puts up on her Instagram page. I get the impression she does sod all with her day apart from preening herself in front of a mirror and posting on social media. If that is not so, she is not doing a very good job of promoting a better image of herself.

As both girls are both so privileged by clearly being financially independent, long before TP died, they really should be getting their arses into gear and devoting their lives to charitable projects. Doing real work, in other words. There is really no excuse for kids of the very rich and famous to be doing nothing at all. Setting up trust funds for kids so that they can just roll out of bed midday and swan around life in a life of self indulgence and laziness - and doing a bit of hobby jobbing - just to appear purposeful and busy - but really  'not doing very much' is really not a good way to live. 

It seems to me that this spat they are currently in with TP's wife clearly indicates that they have no concept of team-work or cooperation - precisely because they have spent far too long living a life of extravagant self-indulgence. Meanwhile, the older one - Adria - seems to think it is perfectly fine to insult the Heartbreakers by sending them rude emails and trying to cut out any reference to them on the latest TP release project when the band have done precisely what she has not: got their finger out in life and honed and talent based on effort, hard work and endeavour. One of the main reasons why I am far from impressed with TP's daughters and more inclined to believe his wife who, at least before she married TP, did have a proper career as a Head Teacher and, after she married TP, devoted her day to managing his schedule, which I should imagine is not all that easy. Far more impressive, I would suggest, that swanning around doing sod all.

... Mmmm yeah, if forced to comment, I'd say yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Certainly, I can say I admire what we see of Dana. Which isn't much, admittedly. Also, Tom Petty did say (in interviews) how much she contributed to their life on the road, that all kinds of people would talk to her and she'd sort out loads of issues before they became problems. (As well as how much they loved each other, which is ❤️❤️❤️)

PS not that there's anything inherently wrong with a bit of leaf 🌿 & a beer 🍺 or glass of wine 🍷. Time & place & how often, I guess. And standing down wind of anyone else if smoking it.   Weed, i mean, not that I've tried smoking beer or wine. Unless you count mulled wine. Ok. Think I'll stop talking before I get myself in a knot! 😀

PPS I just don't see why would anyone would be rude to any of the Heartbreakers. That's a biggie for me. I say that as a fan, looking on. Who would lose my cool if I ever saw one in the street (& is prepared to fork out big ones for a FMac concert just to see Mike play & Chinner pass him guitars).  Maybe Mike secretly kicks his guitars & Benmont steals all the choc cookies... but they seem so darn lovely & committed to being a band of brothers. Those lucky few. 

Seems so unnecessarily brutal. Maybe it was taken out of context? Written in haste? Regretted it immediately? 

I'll take a long-winded defense on this one.

If your suppositions are accurate, in terms of being spoiled, then it really shouldn't come as much of a surprise if indeed, there's a divide between how she perceives life, reality, the world, her father and his bandmates work and what most on here would call reality. In other words if what you say is true below and I'm not saying it is, my speculations will follow. 

If indeed this is accurate...

2 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

From what I can tell, Annakim has never done a day's work in her life. She's just followed her father around touring, smoking weed and living off a trust fund.... I get the impression she does sod all with her day apart from preening herself in front of a mirror and posting on social media. If that is not so, she is not doing a very good job of promoting a better image of herself.

...then why would anyone think she could handle the stress and extreme financial pressures of any of this? Any judgment rendered unto her is by its very nature also its undoing. Don't expect someone who's never worked a real job their whole life to be thrown into a factory and earn Employee of the Month.

I happen to recently peek at Zanes's book and at it's pointed out that coming off the road, Tom was so removed from normal life that he didn't even know how to grocery shop for himself.

I'm not condemning Tom for that, nor Adria for her status if indeed she lived off a trust etc. If one's circumstances make one extremely sheltered (and no pun for our fellow Farmer) how could one expect some sudden onset of maturity and level-headedness just because Tom died. 

And to close off this windbag of a defense, I again think it was in Zanes's book that Adria had to step in and help raise her younger sister during the divorce/Echo period of time with Tom and whatever issues her Mother was dealing with, certainly an admirable thing to do and not something the selfish and narcisstic readily spend time on.

And who knows how the stress of that, stepping into the breach as it were, had a long lasting impact. Of course, to some this may seem like a "spoiled little rich girl" but people are more complex than that and none of us have any true insight or history with the involved parties.

Spoiled or not, heartache and mourning are still difficult to deal with.

Who knows? I don't.

Peace.

6 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I'll take a long-winded defense on this one.

If your suppositions are accurate, in terms of being spoiled, then it really shouldn't come as much of a surprise if indeed, there's a divide between how she perceives life, reality, the world, her father and his bandmates work and what most on here would call reality. In other words if what you say is true below and I'm not saying it is, my speculations will follow. 

If indeed this is accurate...

...then why would anyone think she could handle the stress and extreme financial pressures of any of this? Any judgment rendered unto her is by its very nature also its undoing. Don't expect someone who's never worked a real job their whole life to be thrown into a factory and earn Employee of the Month.

I happen to recently peek at Zanes's book and at it's pointed out that coming off the road, Tom was so removed from normal life that he didn't even know how to grocery shop for himself.

I'm not condemning Tom for that, nor Adria for her status if indeed she lived off a trust etc. If one's circumstances make one extremely sheltered (and no pun for our fellow Farmer) how could one expect some sudden onset of maturity and level-headedness just because Tom died. 

And to close off this windbag of a defense, I again think it was in Zanes's book that Adria had to step in and help raise her younger sister during the divorce/Echo period of time with Tom and whatever issues her Mother was dealing with, certainly an admirable thing to do and not something the selfish and narcisstic readily spend time on.

And who knows how the stress of that, stepping into the breach as it were, had a long lasting impact. Of course, to some this may seem like a "spoiled little rich girl" but people are more complex than that and none of us have any true insight or history with the involved parties.

Spoiled or not, heartache and mourning are still difficult to deal with.

Who knows? I don't.

Peace.

I'd be inclined to be more generous if I had a reason to. So far they haven't given me any reason to. I never said they were spoiled. I implied that their lives and their recent behaviours, since his death, don't really reflect the values I believed TP to have. My supposition is that is why TP left his wife in charge of the Trust, not his daughters. But, as you say, no one really knows the whole truth and I might far wide of the mark. If I am, I am happy to concede. But if you are in the public eye, or want to be, I would want to make pretty darned sure that I created a good impression so that I could limit any criticism that might come my way. 

Well in defense of Adria she did just release a number of videos for her Dad's posthumous releases as well as I think Luke Ryan or something like that (- its a country guy that I don't follow or care much about.)

As for Annikim she did post on Instagram last night a photo of a mock up of a salad dressing bottle 'classicrock.com" or the like had put out "advertising" the article about Dana's lawsuit.  She claimed they had NEVER floated the idea of the products listed in the article and has no idea where that stuff came from and she thought in a way it was hysterical that anyone believed that stuff.  My insta skills are not very good so I cant find it so not sure if she deleted it or if I just suck at searching that site.  The comments were kind of funny on her post and people pointed out "Tom looks kinda pissed off" on the label as we know he wouldn't approve of it.  

I wish I was better at ignoring these stories and could just "let it be" but living in Trump world I find myself watching the news in disgust more than in past years.... :( 

7 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

I never said they were spoiled.

16 hours ago, MaryJane0612 said:

She's just followed her father around touring, smoking weed and living off a trust fund.

Hmm.

---Aside from that I think we're on the same page more or less, your speculation is well reasoned but just your best guess analysis of the situation.

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

She claimed they had NEVER floated the idea of the products listed in the article

That's the thing, we don't know. Yeah, it sounds incredibly stupid (but funny), Tom Petty's face grimly staring out at me at the grocery store from rows of products.

Donut Do Me Like That etc.

But who knowssss? The Shadow perhaps.

I wish I was better at ignoring these stories and could just "let it be"

I hear ya. I try to avoid these topics and anything else on the lawsuits but something pulls me back in. Gonna have to get better at ignorin' this stuff. I guess enjoy the music you have, albums and live shows and if something good and new emerges from the TPATH camp it's a bonus at this point.

I find myself watching the news in disgust more than in past years....

My impression is the news is heavily edited, filtered and controlled by a variety of monied interests who don't give a damn about regular people. Local news may be different. My point is, don't let this get you down, we don't live in Trump's World nor Clinton's nor any politicians, not really. Sometimes it's best to get off the internet and get outside, be in God's country and do something physical, don't let the corrupt on either side of political lines get ya down.

Speakin' of, took my bike out on a mellow ride the other day, first time this year. Felt good.

cheers

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Well in defense of Adria she did just release a number of videos for her Dad's posthumous releases as well as I think Luke Ryan or something like that (- its a country guy that I don't follow or care much about.)

As for Annikim she did post on Instagram last night a photo of a mock up of a salad dressing bottle 'classicrock.com" or the like had put out "advertising" the article about Dana's lawsuit.  She claimed they had NEVER floated the idea of the products listed in the article and has no idea where that stuff came from and she thought in a way it was hysterical that anyone believed that stuff.  My insta skills are not very good so I cant find it so not sure if she deleted it or if I just suck at searching that site.  The comments were kind of funny on her post and people pointed out "Tom looks kinda pissed off" on the label as we know he wouldn't approve of it.  

I wish I was better at ignoring these stories and could just "let it be" but living in Trump world I find myself watching the news in disgust more than in past years.... :( 

This is precisely what she should not be doing: stoking the fires of this court dispute by getting fans to side with her on any aspect of it by explaining, defending and justifying - no matter how she thinks it might help her. A dignified silence on the matter, and letting the courts decide is far the best approach. It is also the mature approach to take too. Whining on social media is never classy. Geez, she always seems to come across like a petulant teenager to me. 

... this focus group's feedback might be summarised as "Yes, I'm a fan. I'm not buying products with his face on it. Unless it is All The Rest from Wildflowers. PS Get your house in order. PPS the time for Heartbreakers lunch boxes has come and gone."

• oh lordy so now Annakim Petty's backing off & denying it was ever her & saying it's hilarious anyone would think she would do such a thing? And then the posts are deleted? 
  • Not what I'd call hilarious. I'm not laughing. I'm starting to feel judgy. In fact first time for this emoji :angry: Step up, do better & if you don't want the new responsibilities, either hire someone to do it for you, or pass it back to people who are competent & willing. 

If it's at all reassuring, the very real sense of disgust I feel about shifty-ass stories is directed not at myself for reading them, but at the people whose lives are creating them. I'm reading because I want to understand why All The Rest from Wildflowers is delayed & delayed. Which, quite frankly is a legitimate reason. I'm not fascinated by their private lives. I'm concerned by what I read & hope for a good outcome with all those sensible people who've been on the team for years to continue to be actively involved. 

1 hour ago, MaryJane0612 said:

This is precisely what she should not be doing: stoking the fires of this court dispute by getting fans to side with her on any aspect of it by explaining, defending and justifying - no matter how she thinks it might help her. A dignified silence on the matter, and letting the courts decide is far the best approach. It is also the mature approach to take too. Whining on social media is never classy. Geez, she always seems to come across like a petulant teenager to me. 

Now we can buy a mug! Why? Who knows. What's the connection to the band? Not sure. What's the reasoning for stamping the logo on the mug? No idea.

I am half-joking of course but the lack of direction and connection is really clear.

3 hours ago, Mudcrutch said:

Now we can buy a mug! Why? Who knows. What's the connection to the band? Not sure. What's the reasoning for stamping the logo on the mug? No idea.

I am half-joking of course but the lack of direction and connection is really clear.

come on! We all know Tom did or did not enjoy Maxwell house! ;)   

Went into my supermarket today and immediately thought of that interview the two daughters gave a few weeks back for fans, revealing their late Dad's breakkie cereals all day munching habits and his love of coffee - not Maxwell House though - something they deny he ever drank, and in doing so casually implying that Warren Zanes, Petty's biographer, was telling porkie pies and possibly discrediting the whole book in the process. I thought it was Neil Young who'd coined the term 'Needle' and the damage done...oh well..

I am very pleased to report that on my supermarket shelves I saw no sign of any 'Petty Pops' or 'Petty Puffs' sitting alongside boxes of Weetabix and Cornflakes, and in the hot drinks aisles I saw no shelf space designated to Petty percolated coffee either.  I dared not venture into the salad dressing aisle too, to stock up on Mayo', as I felt I might be pushing my luck too far.....

If the two girls don't win this law suite, denying them royalties for product endorsements, I fear something else might happen that none of us have thought of. Annakim is a multiple dog owner is she not? Isn't it possible that, to avenge Dana and her lawyer's team, she might market her own brand of Kimberley Kibbles? Adria, hot tempered and abusive, according to Dana, her own brand of Sod Off (Dana) Soda water?

Shudder the thought....:)

On 5/11/2019 at 4:25 AM, Nourdna said:

FWIW, When Tom was still with us, he was very hands on (staging, merch, cover art etc). Every form of artistic expression relative to his music was intentional and deliberate. This is slipshod &  amateurish., undermining his integrity as a artist in every sense. I hope his family and the Heartbreakers get more rigorous in  maintaining the integrity of his good name.

That's hardly likely. In fact, I think that Tom Petty's passing has been met with the most appalling exploitation / treatment from many close to him - from colleagues to family. He has been swiftly turned into a commodity, which I suspect is the very last thing he would have wanted.