Sign in to follow this  
Nourdna

Interested in your perspective on the topic of continually pushing promotional merchandise via the official Tom Petty website

Over decades as an avid Tom petty fan, it sickens me to se his face plastered over promotional materials like this with his lyrics. For whatever reason it just feels so contrary to who he was and how he felt about commercial endeavors. Especially posthumously to continue to push products is in poor taste. 

Just listen to his song “For Real”. Do you think the person who wrote that would be looking down at these promo materials with favor? I think not. 

What do you think?

FB5015D5-8D97-452E-9967-D76252A7E6BB.png

595D04EB-968A-4888-8592-27769D573017.jpeg

5 hours ago, Nourdna said:

What do you think?

I think you're right. Between all the tacky brand merch stunts, archival photage video fests and what was revealed from the lawsuit documents, it seems a lot of the impulses, no matter how genuine and heartfelt in origin, proove to be badly misguided, ego oriented and backwards prioritized. If by accident so. Thank goodness someone stood up and helped shaping AAT into becoming about the music and the legacy of the man that created it, because other than that, so far it's a grim prospect we're looking at, waist deep in swag, repackaging and cheap tricks.

But let's be hopeful, that once they all had their ya-ya' s out in terms of personal visions, projects and agendas, made a bit more name for themselves and used the stuff a few more times, maybe there will again be focus on what matters.. the music genius and music processes of Tom's.

(Also, playing the devil's advocate here.. let's not forget there where hoodies, bags and keychains over the years, other stunts too.. back when the captain was still behind the wheels himself - sure, some kinda marketing must be ok, even at this point, so.......)

But sure, I agree.. I wish they put a lot less prio on the swag bazaar from here on out.. Would be a tasteful move, all things considered.. To me it just doesn't rhyme to question the Heartbreakers' involvement (and their judgement?) or agenda, or too stall releases of quality dignified archival stuff and at the same time sign OK to all the crap with logos slapped on.  And they worry about honouring Tom....!?!

This screams young social media/marketer was hired in for cheap to do X to promote Y. Management is out of touch and has no idea what to do but they are scrambling to make whatever they can off the fallout of Tom passing. 

You can tell how disorganized things are behind the scenes since nothing of quality is happening, and the timing of all promos are all over the place. No consistency and no real messaging or reasoning to engage with TPATH stuff.

FWIW, When Tom was still with us, he was very hands on (staging, merch, cover art etc). Every form of artistic expression relative to his music was intentional and deliberate. This is slipshod &  amateurish., undermining his integrity as a artist in every sense. I hope his family and the Heartbreakers get more rigorous in  maintaining the integrity of his good name.

No offense, but they sold out (or bought in, depending on your view) after they teamed up with LiveNation and Ticketmaster and that dates all the way back to 05-06 after the Last DJ knocked them down to a nostalgia act in the public eye from then on out.

Mmmm... "Quit Jammin' me"?

Oh, I think they're only warming up...anyone could quote any number of lyrics out of context & to make it look like Tom Petty was aiming to be a genius at advertising & sales... as if he wanted to sell his songs as the background for orange juice commercials. (Horrified gasp.)

But, obviously, if you consider the whole song in context you get a different story... We all know he was a genius songwriter working closely with genius musicians to create consistently awesome music. 

Ok, so, let me put this claim of mine to the test & see what I can do if I "borrow" some lines from a couple of albums? Randomly selects Southern Accents & Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) and scans lyrics...

• whatever you're looking for 
  • i know what you want, but it's a surprise (Let Me Up)
  • It's something I want, babe, it's more than that, it's something I need (How Many More Days)
  • everyone could mail -order tickets / yeah you could sell a lot of shirts for the last picture show (All Mixed Up)
  • Buys them old records that they sell on TV (My Life / Your World) 
  • You'd make me a millionaire (The Damage You've Done)
  • deliver me, deliver me
  • how many more days? 
  • Baby nothing's guaranteed (Jammin' Me)
  • I woke up this morning, there was a car in the drive (Let Me Up)

Personally, my wish is "Please don't play around with this heart of mine." 🎸🎹🎼🐊🐝

On May 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM, Nourdna said:
Over decades as an avid Tom petty fan, it sickens me to se his face plastered over promotional materials like this with his lyrics. For whatever reason it just feels so contrary to who he was and how he felt about commercial endeavors. Especially posthumously to continue to push products is in poor taste. 
Just listen to his song “For Real”. Do you think the person who wrote that would be looking down at these promo materials with favor? I think not. 
What do you think?

I respect where you're coming from. Who can say what he'd think about it, I don't know. For my taste these products look unappealing and haphazardly thrown together.

Generally I'm against milking the fans for every conceivable dollar and preying upon completionist's impulses when it comes to records or souvenir items; but with that everyone draws the line in a different spot I suppose.

I saw this from a rollingstone article on Zeppelin:

“There is a thirst for discovery on an artist celebrating its 50th anniversary,” Fraser-Harding tells Rolling Stone. “It’s about creating the right tools to educate and broaden the horizons for the potential consumer. We’ve got to think about the consumer and how they react. Sometimes, it’s a question of how we make something out of nothing.”

That's how these things go unless an artist and or his executors are super strict and disciplined; I guess if one gets higher quality releases (unreleased songs, All The Rest) etc. then that's a bonus considering how these things can go, as from that quote "...make something out of nothing." 

On May 10, 2019 at 9:29 PM, Farmer101 said:

This screams young social media/marketer was hired in for cheap to do X to promote Y. Management is out of touch and has no idea what to do but they are scrambling to make whatever they can off the fallout of Tom passing. 

You can tell how disorganized things are behind the scenes since nothing of quality is happening, and the timing of all promos are all over the place. No consistency and no real messaging or reasoning to engage with TPATH stuff.

I pretty much agree.

On May 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM, Shelter said:

let's not forget there where hoodies, bags and keychains over the years, other stunts too.. back when the captain was still behind the wheels himself - sure, some kinda marketing must be ok, even at this point, so......

I never had Tom on a pedestal despite the whole Hard Promises stand he took, or even if they kept their tickets reasonably priced. Perhaps there were more boundaries set up to keep these sorts of things in line when he was alive, which seems to make sense. Since everything with the lawsuits have come out it seems like they're won't be any "messaging or reasoning" till things are sorted out one way or another.

And even if there is a deluge of further greatest hits and reissued material, I hope the unreleased tracks in addition to All The Rest as best as Tom completed it,  float to the surface as well.

cheers