Sign in to follow this  
High Grass Dog

11/26/06 show?

I was reading an article today that casually referenced a one-and-only live TPATH performance of "Depending on You" from a show in December of 2006, noted here on setlist.fm: 

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Jackson, MS, 11/26/06

I had never heard of this show or any performance of that song, and I am wondering if anyone else here has. The whole show seems weird since the 30th anniversary tour appeared to end a month or so before this date. Was this a one-off show? (In Mississippi?!) Kind of odd. I wonder what the story about this was. Anybody know? Setlist.fm is fairly accurate, but this could possibly be incorrect also.

I think this show was added to that site in error. I've seen it as the only time "Depended on You" was played and I just don't buy it. One-off shows that were played outside of main tours were usually advertised to some extent, however minimal, and this one wasn't. Even the time Tom played "American Girl" solo at a birthday party made it to the news. 

Plus, lots of people have posted stuff on setlist fm that I've tried to keep track of and report as false. For instance, someone has recently added "For Real" to the end of every 'Echo' tour set list (insert eye roll emoji here).

Tom was definitely very burnt out by the end of the 2006 tour; he acknowledged that he only did it because of the occasion of the 30th anniversary and in a Rolling Stone interview from that year said that he wouldn't tour again. So to add a show at the end of 2006 after a lengthy tour seems unlikely on Tom and the band's part. Thankfully, we know that the lack of desire to tour sentiment didn't wind up being true.

But my guess is that the only performance of a rare song ("Depending on You") wouldn't be for a one-off show, and that they definitely wouldn't do a one-off show outside of CA or NY, or without significant financial incentive (though of course I could be wrong, since apparently She's the One material was performed at a benefit. But, that album didn't get a tour, so different logic may apply.) The performance of "Southern Accents" randomly, as well as "A Face in the Crowd" (which would be performed for the first time more than a decade in 2008), makes the set list even more suspect. More than this, the set list order didn't follow any kind of template of a previous set, and, let's face it, the band didn't really mix up sets (especially ends, i.e. "Refugee" and "Runnin' Down a Dream" as ending songs before / or part of encores) that much.

12 hours ago, mikemono said:

I think this show was added to that site in error. I've seen it as the only time "Depended on You" was played and I just don't buy it. One-off shows that were played outside of main tours were usually advertised to some extent, however minimal, and this one wasn't. Even the time Tom played "American Girl" solo at a birthday party made it to the news. 

Plus, lots of people have posted stuff on setlist fm that I've tried to keep track of and report as false. For instance, someone has recently added "For Real" to the end of every 'Echo' tour set list (insert eye roll emoji here).

Tom was definitely very burnt out by the end of the 2006 tour; he acknowledged that he only did it because of the occasion of the 30th anniversary and in a Rolling Stone interview from that year said that he wouldn't tour again. So to add a show at the end of 2006 after a lengthy tour seems unlikely on Tom and the band's part. Thankfully, we know that the lack of desire to tour sentiment didn't wind up being true.

But my guess is that the only performance of a rare song ("Depending on You") wouldn't be for a one-off show, and that they definitely wouldn't do a one-off show outside of CA or NY, or without significant financial incentive (though of course I could be wrong, since apparently She's the One material was performed at a benefit. But, that album didn't get a tour, so different logic may apply.) The performance of "Southern Accents" randomly, as well as "A Face in the Crowd" (which would be performed for the first time more than a decade in 2008), makes the set list even more suspect. More than this, the set list order didn't follow any kind of template of a previous set, and, let's face it, the band didn't really mix up sets (especially ends, i.e. "Refugee" and "Runnin' Down a Dream" as ending songs before / or part of encores) that much.

Thanks for your take, mikemono. That's actually what I think as well. A one-off show in Mississippi of all places just seems too strange to be true. None of "Depending on You," "A Face in the Crowd" or "Even the Losers" were played on the 2006 tour (though the latter two did show up on the band's next tour in '08). I should know never to attempt to understand why anything gets posted on the internet, but who would make up such a random post? I don't know, I guess it's possible TP or someone in the band had some connection to a benefit or an event or a close friend and they felt it was worth a trip, but it seems very unlikely. There is no other mention of it I can find out there, so short of someone in the Heartbreakers camp confirming the performance, it will remain dubious. Apparently they did play that venue on the Dogs with Wings tour in 1995, FWIW.

Jackson... :blink: 

Back in reality, found these confirmed dates for them wrapping up their final leg of tour in October 2006 on the West coast -  (tompettyrocks.com)

Wed 10/04/06 Glendale, AZ - Gila River Arena

Fri 10/20/06. West Sacramento, CA - Raley Field

Sat 10/21/06 Indian Wells, CA - Indian Wells Tennis Garden

Fri 10/27/06 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre

Sat 10/28/06 Las Vegas, NV - Vegoose Festival for Halloween

4th Oct - Glendale - an unnamed fan posted their photo on Trip Advisor

image.jpeg.c80c4e5a1d79b09833762b08ed5344ed.jpeg

20th Oct - Sacramento - birthday photo from rocktime.com

image.jpeg.ba580c436353ccfb3283efe19abc1a5d.jpeg

21st Oct - Indian Wells- here's a blog posted on the 24th by Robert Kinsler rockwrite.blogspot.com

Tom Petty, Jackson Browne; magic in the desert

Life is hard, no doubt.  But, on occasion, it can be a blast. Such was the case last Saturday night (Oct. 21), when I was lucky enough to catch full-length sets from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Jackson Browne at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.  On a beautiful autumn night, it wasn't hard to enjoy two Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Famers in action under the stars on a comfortable night.
Of the two artists, headliner Petty & company delivered the stronger set. As part of his current 30th anniversary tour, Petty and his strong supporting cast (notably lead guitarist Mike Campbell, singer-multi-instrumentalist Scott Thurston and keyboardist Benmont Tench) played many of their best-known songs before an adoring crowd. And, at least for this listener, the finely-tuned troupe played Petty's three best rockers too: "I Need to Know" (lead vocals courtesy of Stevie Nicks), and later in the night, "Refugee" and "Runnin' Down A Dream" in a back-to-back blowout. 
This was no mere bit of nostalgia. Rather, the band really rocked. Petty, smiling and greeting the audience after just about every song, really seemed to be having a great time. 

27th Oct - The Greek - Getty images apparently it's dark because some glitch happened with the venue's lighting
image.thumb.jpeg.5d06702bd32766f5d072995ca9eeddb2.jpeg

28th Oct - Las Vegas - Vegoose Festival for Halloween - Getty Images has 5 pages of images of them playing there...

image.thumb.jpeg.d783ed3a772392bc2c2f48bdcc11cd93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d0c9d3619ff0c1180514eeca67887e66.jpeg