MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Words on Take The Highway: Live!

On 6/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, Shelter said:

Basically I just wanted to nuance the communicated opinion that this tour, this film, feature the "original band". At least to me, realizing that it's not, makes the whole TPATH enterprise stand out a bit more as "ever-changing", "ever-evolving" and as such less dramatic, is all. If there is one before and one after, I would suggest that there is several befores and several afters too, the way it goes with time, people as with art. I just tried to put some perspective on you guys' built up, really. I know that is none of my business, and I should have saved myself the problem of excusing myself and explaining, not to mention the unpleasure of offend people, had I just let it all be, but I got stuck on the wording there (which was initially not even yours!). Again sorry. Your take on history is your take. Never mind me.

It's alright, no offence taken. 😄 I know what you meant, by the way.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, Shelter said:

As for hype - I just meant that TPATH were on a commercial peak, very "cool" and very "happening" in most music press and among most rock fans. At least around here, that was the case around 91/92. He seemingly could do no wrong, he was the cat with the hat and everybody, including people who really didn't have much clue, loved him for the time being. Everybody was taking turns in praising him. Tons of good will, cool vibes, sunshine and sing along radio hits.. he was even a friend of Bob's, Roy's and George's (sure, Jeff's too) and that was cred by most standards around that time.. It was "hip" to like Tom Petty around here in 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992.. and still pretty awesome in 1993, 1994, 1995 too, before all the coolness of it all, all the writing and record selling, slowly started to dwindle some.. (None of this did ever imply that there was no substance to back it up, surely!! Or that all the love or the product itself was in any way superficial! No! There can be content behind a hype, can it not?)

OK, thanks for explaining, now I see. "Peaked in general popularity on all levels" I understand.

To me, hype implies lack of content... but that's of course not a necessary causal relation.

On June 25, 2019 at 5:55 AM, Shelter said:

Basically I just wanted to nuance the communicated opinion that this tour, this film, feature the "original band". At least to me, realizing that it's not, makes the whole TPATH enterprise stand out a bit more as "ever-changing", "ever-evolving" and as such less dramatic, is all. If there is one before and one after, I would suggest that there is several befores and several afters too, 

Nuance is good and noted about the several befores and afters true and one could say the original band ended when Ron quit; I was more going on about the ethos of the early band in relation to this release and not a direct, literal take.

Perhaps if when Steve joined they continued writing songs in the vein of ITGWO or DTT his arrival may not seem like such a line of demarcation but not only did the drummer change but Tom experienced a change/growth in his songwriting.

Take the Highway, to me, is notable as a last hurrah because it's an official tour document of this version of the band which even with the addition of Howie and Scott has more in common with the band who recorded DTT than what came after.  

cheers

On April 30, 2019 at 1:48 PM, peterdimples said:

I was also at the last two shows of the 1999 Fillmore run which were filmed for High Grass Dogs. The production company screwed up and did not film more than half the show, I remember there was a lawsuit over it. That's my least favorite live show they put out because it should have been so much longer.

That's too bad. I was disappointed when I first purchased High Grass Dogs and the whole thing did feel rather truncated. I much preferred my bootleg copy I purchased on VHS of the Hamburg show from '99.

cheers

Im glad i downloaded this a few months ago from youtube.  The missing song ( kings highway ) is by itself . I have the vhs version.

Its to bad they don't put the VHS only stuff on one special dvd box set and be done with it.

One thing being a TP fan ....the concerts are full and recorded & film well.  My son and I were watching The Beatles Live on various videos on YT and there's so much screaming and bad video & sound you can really appreciate the improvement that came later.

I watched this again recently - with some friends over that hadn't ever seen it.  They loved it (of course).  I do wish we had a high-def version.  I have the laser disc (but no player) and my DVD was taken from a laser disc, but just doesn't deliver the resolution that we routinely get these days.  Too bad, but it's still a great show.  Rare stage shenanigans going on, plus a bunch of great tunes that were never to be heard from again.  Of all the videos we have, this one is right up near the top for me.

I haven't seen this one for ages (I have the vhs tape but nowadays I don't have a vhs player). I guess I have a downloaded digital copy somewhere.

I like a lot this film. But it is a little bit dissapointing the way someone mixed the footage. In almost every song there are footage from the two days. Tom's scarf is the proof!