MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Words on Take The Highway: Live!

Opening Credits---This could've gone on even longer! I really enjoy watching the band in seemingly candid soundcheck moments. I even really like that tiny guitar ditty Howie (rest in peace) plays.   
Kings Highway----Not included on this but could be to keep it from being struck down. Sorry Two Gunslingers. As for the song, I was never a big fan of this so...I'm still not. Not high enough energy for me; a good comfortable performance. I actually prefer the opening credits.  
Too Good To Be True----Here we go! A good song from the record and I like how they extend it, some moody Benmont playing.  
I Won't Backdown---Pretty much a straightforward version. Aside from the acoustic takes this has largely stayed the same over the years. Unfortunately I'm quite burned out on it but it's a good performance.  
Free Fallin'----Like the above but moreso. My favorite live version was the extended one they did back in the previous tour. A good version but I was never a big fan of this song to begin with and it's just been overplayed. Did Stan ever play the drumrolls in this song during the last verse? It's too bad he didn't as musically that's one of the best parts of the song in my opinon.  
Out In The Cold----Nice. It's a good version, nice and rockin' and much needed after the mellow Free Fallin'.  
Psychotic Reaction----A moment for the Psychedelic Dragon. Very funny. High powered, I love how Mike rakes his pick against the strings during the fast part. Very fun to hear Stan sing and band leap into hyperdrive.  
Ben's Boogie----Excellent! The only complaint would be it could've gone on even longer! Who doesn't love when Benmont transionts to the other keyboard! Just excellent. Except for Tom's dancing, sorry ladies I'm sure you liked it but...blehh. Terrible.  
Don't Come Around Here No More----What about that intro? One of the best intros to DCAHNM. I used to watch that part over and over, Mike setting up the loop, the e-bow making his guitar sound like "whale song", playing the mandolin, the rhythmic thump of Stan joining in...and that's before the song proper starts. Just a really good version; probably my favorite from all the times they played it live since the fast part goes on even longer due to the corny chase scene.   
Here Comes My Girl----Good.  
I'm Tired Joey Boy----I liked it.  
Into The Great Wide Open---Not a fan of the song overall but a fine version.  
Love Is A Long Road----Good, never understood why they never extended it.  
Refugee----Excellent. I love how the band gets mellower, then brings it up briefly before dropping down before the final explosion into the finale. The extended Refugee is my favorite live version of the song (aside from the goofy and fun acoustic bridge school take) and I'm glad they filmed this version.  
Runnin' Down A Dream----Pretty high energy. I still think it's a song that was never really captured live as well as on album but I'd say these early tours when it was still fresh are the best live versions of it.  
Lonely Weekends----It's okay, not much to say about this.  
Built To Last----Very good. I enjoy watching Stan drum with those mallets, I think and just the whole bouncy, yet mellow mood of the song. Like a 50s rock lullaby.  

Makin' Some Noise-----Good! A fun riff, fun lyrics and high energy finale!

Thoughts?

•   Except for Tom's dancing, sorry ladies I'm sure you liked it but...blehh. Terrible.

Really? Some people might read that comment as you're sure ladies like Tom's dancing? What is this, the culture section of The Medieval Weekly? Or are you writing a review of people going crazy when Elvis Presley shakes his hips? Or when George & Paul shake their moptops and sing Yeaaaahhh into the one microphone?  I hope not. Obviously you are way more intelligent than that & realise that you, me, we, the people, :blink: :huh: :angry: ^_^ are a lot more nuanced.  So, I'm guessing it's just a throw away line in the middle of a post... not to be  taken as any more than it is. Sure, that's fine. 

However.

Surely the deeply-held principle is that any band's on-stage game (including dancing) is only part of their appeal. We (that's all fans, not just these mythical "ladies") can appreciate that. So: "gents" can appreciate dancing too; "ladies" can appreciate music technique too. Or, hey, radical thought, we can think of music audiences as people... & not go splitting them into groups unnecessarily. 

Signed by The People's Front or is it The Popular Front (you know, the Splitters! scene from Life of Brian)

Kinda harsh.  Are you suggesting there isn't a sexual aspect to women's attraction to Tom Petty?  Of course there is.  As a straight male, that wouldn't apply to me, but to deny it exists - and primarily but not exclusively for women - would be naive.

57 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Really? Some people might read that comment as you're sure ladies like Tom's dancing?

I meant I don't like watching Tom dance and that goes for anyone in the band, I don't care how well Mike Campbell cuts a rug or how well Stan can Frug. I guess Steve's tap dancing would be a possible exception but he ain't even on this video.

Ha ha, you're taking this much too seriously.

While I'm all for nuance on serious matters (especially online when there's no vocal tells) this is a rock-n-roll show with a giant fairy tale tree as background, evil presidents and a harmonica delivering wyvern. I'm not going to qualify every statement, that's just darn boring and really unnecessary. Of course women can appreciate musical technique and there's some who don't find Tom attractive (yeah right) and whooooo zzzzzzzzzzzz. What was I droning on about? Set list? Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Not only do the ladies in the crowd enjoy watching Tom dance,  they love it when he saunters up to the mic and says things like "...babydoll..." and "...hello..."

:P

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Surely the deeply-held principle is that any band's on-stage game (including dancing) is only part of their appeal. We (that's all fans, not just these mythical "ladies") can appreciate that. So: "gents" can appreciate dancing too; "ladies" can appreciate music technique too. Or, hey, radical thought, we can think of music audiences as people... & not go splitting them into groups unnecessarily.

Not trying to be annoying or harsh. 

17 minutes ago, TomFest said:

Kinda harsh.  Are you suggesting there isn't a sexual aspect to women's attraction to Tom Petty?  Of course there is.  As a straight male, that wouldn't apply to me, but to deny it exists - and primarily but not exclusively for women - would be naive.

Thanks for your question. No, actually, I'm not suggesting that at all. Perish the thought. TP 1991 is smokin' hot.

I'm saying that their onstage game is only part of their appeal. That people respond: some to the dancing, some to the music and - to clarify - some people to both the music and the dancing. What lies at the heart of those magic connections between performers & audiences? Love, joy, happiness... 

PS FYI Not all women appreciate being called "ladies". "Ladies" implies all sorts of social etiquette. Some people find that annoying.  You absolutely might not be implying anything when you innocently say "ladies" in general conversation. But it might help if you realise that's how some people hear it.  

B) Communicate by using whatever words you want. It's your free & independent life. This might be interesting browsing, though.  From same years as Damn The Torpedoes & Hard Promises - Miller & Swift's classic from 1980 - The Handbook of Non-Sexist Writing for Writers, Editors and Speakers.  

"Lady is used most effectively to evoke a certain standard of propriety, correct behaviour, or elegance. Because of these connotations, lady is not a synonym for woman in the primary senseof that word any more than gentleman is a synonym for man.

• A Birmingham lady has been named in the case... is arch. A better choice would be A Birmingham woman has been named ...or, using an appropriate identification, A former official of the Red Cross in Birmingham has been named in the case. 

Like other unnecessary words, lady has a diminishing effect when dragged in: Her colleagues know her as a fighting lady to be reckoned with is stronger when it becomes: Her colleagues know her as a fighter to be reckoned with. (pages 68-69).

...Woman has come into its own as a strong, positive term, like man, connoting responsible adulthood. (page 73)

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

What lies at the heart of those magic connections between performers & audiences? Love, joy, happiness... 

I agree.

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

PS FYI Not all women appreciate being called "ladies".

How about dames? Or better yet...goils. 

Da goils sure love Petty and dose Heartsbreaker. They got moxie, see. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think Kings Highway isn't on this (sorry Two Gunslingers)

:D No Problem. Not a favorite of mine. I think you probably refer to our little discussion elswhere and some time ago about the acoustic version versus the full band version (which I prefer, you're right about that).

Thanks for bringing Take The Highway up, for me it's probably the definitive Tom Petty live Video (the contender being the 30th anniversary concert from Gainesville). For autobiographical reasons, I guess. It was the period I first became aware of him. Thanks to nightdriver, I have this gem on DVD.

It has a somewhat magical aura to it - for lack of a better word, sorry - that, for me, transcends the normal concert situation. I'm not sure why and I don't want to question it. :lol:

On a more nerdy note: Does anybody have any idea why Learning to Fly wasn't included in the video? I have a bootleg CD from one of the concerts that the video was put together from and they played Learning to Fly. I'm pretty sure it was already a hit when the VHS came out, so why not include it? Well, back in the land of heavy speculation from here on out.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

On a more nerdy note: Does anybody have any idea why Learning to Fly wasn't included in the video? I have a bootleg CD from one of the concerts that the video was put together from and they played Learning to Fly.

Right. What's really strange, though, I don't know if you noticed, but Learning To Fly is actually listed as content in the end credits*. They kinda pretend they included it, I suppose. Such a move can go a long way, as it turns out. For a few years there I guess I believed them. Then one day.. the feeling just died.. to quote a phrase.. and I realized they did indeed omit it. Too bad. This film is a strange and wonderful beast as it it, though. So glad that even without LTF they kept such a contemporary focus on this film, skipping at least some of the old standards that was of course part of the set at the time.

-----

* Deja vu...  Much like Even The Losers on the A Bunch of Videos tape...

On 4/19/2019 at 2:17 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I agree.

How about dames? Or better yet...goils. 

Da goils sure love Petty and dose Heartsbreaker. They got moxie, see. 

I laughed a lot harder at than than I should have

I was at the Nov. 24, 1991 show in Oakland that was filmed for Take the Highway. A couple things I remember: Tom sang "Psychotic Reaction" that night, because Stan had laryngitis, so the version on the film is definitely from Reno the night before. They played "Learning to Fly" as an electric version somewhere in the middle of the show, no idea why itys cut out, but there might have had lousy camera coverage or something.

I was also at the last two shows of the 1999 Fillmore run which were filmed for High Grass Dogs. The production company screwed up and did not film more than half the show, I remember there was a lawsuit over it. That's my least favorite live show they put out because it should have been so much longer. Also, the Fillmore is hard to film, so they just don't have camera coverage the way they do in Pack Up the Plantation, Take the Highway, Last DJ, or Gainesville 2006.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, peterdimples said:

I was at the Nov. 24, 1991 show in Oakland that was filmed for Take the Highway. A couple things I remember: Tom sang "Psychotic Reaction" that night, because Stan had laryngitis, so the version on the film is definitely from Reno the night before. They played "Learning to Fly" as an electric version somewhere in the middle of the show, no idea why itys cut out, but there might have had lousy camera coverage or something.

Wow, that's great! I didn't expect to hear (read) an eyewitness on the subject! So thank you very much! :) I think you're right, they probably didn't get good footage or not enough (good) footage or had some sort of technical issue with the cameras. Because the audio worked fine, so it must have had something to do with that.

On April 23, 2019 at 5:24 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

I think you probably refer to our little discussion elswhere and some time ago about the acoustic version versus the full band version (which I prefer, you're right about that).

Yes. 

On April 23, 2019 at 5:24 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

for me it's probably the definitive Tom Petty live Video (the contender being the 30th anniversary concert from Gainesville). For autobiographical reasons, I guess. It was the period I first became aware of him. Thanks to nightdriver, I have this gem on DVD.

Full Moon Fever/ITGWO and WF were the albums that brought a lot of new listeners, same with Greatest Hits but TTGWO was the last tour with the old feel of the original band and a sense of newness to the enterprise.

The FMF songs and GH while prominent hadn't taken over, they played a good amount of tunes from ITGWO and later in Europe some unreleased songs and a few other deep cuts, when added to the Psychedelic Dragon and other brief stage show and fantasy backdrop made the tour feel special; edited together from two nights Take The Highway came out before the internet, when one either trawled old record shoppes for dodgy quality videos and recordings of live shows or settled for a performance on a talk show or Saturday Night Live and so this videotape felt special to those who bought it at the time, and remained so for those who saw it later online, because of the energy of the band and despite whatever backstage drama existed for them as a group, the sheer fun they exuded from the stage.

A last hurrah of the original band, balanced at the edge of how they were and how they were changing.

cheers

On 6/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, wild1forever said:

I was at the November 24 show too; Peter, your memory is much better than mine.

Actually, that is one of my least favorite shows because IMO, the band was playing to the cameras rather than the crowd.

Sad to read this... I imagine it must be extremely difficult for a band to play a show and do a concert film of it at the same time... never thought about that before... must feel a bit like serving two masters.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:19 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

A last hurrah of the original band, balanced at the edge of how they were and how they were changing.

This also makes me feel sad... somewhat melancholic... what's the matter with me today???

19 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

This also makes me feel sad... somewhat melancholic... what's the matter with me today???

Does it make you feel any better if I remind you that it was indeed not the "original band" in any way? Their "last hurrah" would have been on Peace Sunday Committee Benefit show, summer of '82 or sometime thereabout. Neither did 1991/92 mark the very farewell of the Howie/Stan line-up either. (Another Benefit - Bridge School of '94 this time -  that was.) But one could rightfully argue TITGWO was the pinnacle of TPATH commercial success and pop hype though. A sweet moment, surely, riding a powerful wave. And an uncharacteristically elaborate stage production too. Special, for sure. Ok, now go ahead and cry if you like..... 

6 minutes ago, Shelter said:

But one could rightfully argue TITGWO was the pinnacle of TPATH commercial success and pop hype though. A sweet moment, surely, riding a powerful wave. And an uncharacteristically elaborate stage production too. Special, for sure.

Call it what you like... it was a high point before things took a different direction, and therefore a goodbye. Which was great in its own right, but different.

Not sure about the "hype" part, though. Sounds like there was not much of substance behind Tom, the band, and/or their music. I think we're all on the same page here that the period between 1988 and 1995 is among their best - commercially and creatively.

9 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Ok, now go ahead and cry if you like..... 

I didn't.

OK, so basically my notes missed their marks on all accounts.. Sorry about that.

Bottom line is that you are right. It was very special. A high point. Extremely great.

But that is beside the point with my post. Basically I just wanted to nuance the communicated opinion that this tour, this film, feature the "original band". At least to me, realizing that it's not, makes the whole TPATH enterprise stand out a bit more as "ever-changing", "ever-evolving" and as such less dramatic, is all. If there is one before and one after, I would suggest that there is several befores and several afters too, the way it goes with time, people as with art. I just tried to put some perspective on you guys' built up, really. I know that is none of my business, and I should have saved myself the problem of excusing myself and explaining, not to mention the unpleasure of offend people, had I just let it all be, but I got stuck on the wording there (which was initially not even yours!). Again sorry. Your take on history is your take. Never mind me.

I realize (or counted on) you were not actually crying, that was just a silly way to say "if you still find it melancholy, that's fine of course, I do see the overall idea here". After all these years, I should have know better than trying attitude in my writing, right. Point taken.  

As for hype - I just meant that TPATH were on a commercial peak, very "cool" and very "happening" in most music press and among most rock fans. At least around here, that was the case around 91/92. He seemingly could do no wrong, he was the cat with the hat and everybody, including people who really didn't have much clue, loved him for the time being. Everybody was taking turns in praising him. Tons of good will, cool vibes, sunshine and sing along radio hits.. he was even a friend of Bob's, Roy's and George's (sure, Jeff's too) and that was cred by most standards around that time.. It was "hip" to like Tom Petty around here in 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992.. and still pretty awesome in 1993, 1994, 1995 too, before all the coolness of it all, all the writing and record selling, slowly started to dwindle some.. (None of this did ever imply that there was no substance to back it up, surely!! Or that all the love or the product itself was in any way superficial! No! There can be content behind a hype, can it not?)

So, instead of writing all that right there ^, I went with the word "hype". (Just ponder that most words I write carry that kinda s*it with them... oh golly.. no wonder there are mishaps in the transmission..) Again, I probably shouldn't have. Apparently I don't know what hype even mean. How about "peaked in general popularity on all levels"? That works?

Tom Petty as the cat in the hat... You are funny! 🎩 Maybe Mike's the gator in the hat?  🐊🎩Actually, Benmont, now, consider, he's cool cat in hat too.  🐆🎩Oh no! We need more animals for this to work!!!

I'm kind of glad that while they had many peaks in popularity & songs were part of zeitgeist, they never flew too close to the sun like poor old Icarus (myth, not band).  Or let ambition get out of control. Or created hype without substance. So they retained  their mojo over a long career & are still much loved. Like people say - TPATH's part of the soundtrack of our lives. 

Never seemed anywhere near falling into that too-popular situation where (for some bands) it seems everyone owns an album for 6 months before turning on a band & start hating them or finding them cheesy / embarrassing...Not naming names!! For some bands, as those metal gods Spinal Tap say: fine line between clever & stupid.