Eddie_Rebel19

Songs not on Normal Albums

Hey all. This is my first post on the forum. I've been looking through the forum and have been looking for a definitive, close-to exhaustive list of Petty originals that don't appear on the normal albums. I threw this one together, which has the name of the song, as well as the album I believe the song was initially recorded for (songs that are unclear or without a specific corresponding album recording session). Please let me know with any additions or critiques so I can add them to this list. Hopefully it will help fans enjoy rarer, more obscure music from throughout his career. (All due credit to the list I found on Reddit's Tom Petty subreddit, the format and information for which I used in part for this list). Links coming soon!

Surrender - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I Don't Know What to Say to You - You're Gonna Get It!

Casa Dega - Damn the Torpedoes

It's Rainin' Again - Damn the Torpedoes

Nowhere - Damn the Torpedoes

Gator on the Lawn - Hard Promises

Heartbreakers Beach Party - Long After Dark

Keep a Little Soul - Long After Dark

Keeping Me Alive - Long After Dark

Turning Point - Long After Dark

Trailer - Southern Accents

Walkin' From the Fire - Southern Accents

Make That Connection - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Waiting For Tonight - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Down the Line - Full Moon Fever

Don't Treat Me Like a Stranger - Full Moon Fever

Peace in LA - Into the Great Wide Open

Lonesome Dave - Wildflowers

Girl on LSD - Wildflowers

Somewhere Under Heaven - Wildflowers

Sweet William - Echo

Gainesville - Echo

I Don't Belong - Echo

The Woods - Highway Companion

Home - Highway Companion

Around the Roses - Highway Companion

Mystery of Love - Mojo

Little Girl Blues - Mojo

Playing Dumb - Hypnotic Eye

Bus to Tampa Bay - Hypnotic Eye

Two Men Talking - Hypnotic Eye

Songs not recorded for an album

Lookin' For Daddy

For Real

Travelin'

Christmas All Over Again

Can't Get Her Out

Moon Pie

Got My Mind Made Up

Come on Down to My House

God's Gift to Man

You Come Through

Songs only played live

Dog on the Run (live only)

Drivin' Down to Georgia (live only)

Black Leather Woman (live only)

Melinda (live only)

Songs that still remain unreleased (and unheard!)

Confusion Wheel - Widflowers

Something Could Happen - Wildflowers

My New Guitar

Next Time You See Memphis

Reptiles

Just thought of a few more:

• You Get Me High. Not the Hypnotic Eye song, the one on Playback.
  • Lost Without You (was this written by Petty?)
  • "Worried Guy" [aka Insomnia]. I don't know what album it was left off of.

3 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

Any chance to hear Next time you see Memphis and My new Guitar?? Never heard of em. And what about Reptiles? Are those Songs written by TP? 

Why yes there is. You will find all the 2003 songs premiering in Chicago in this recent post, compiled by atse:

20 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

And what about Reptiles? Are those Songs written by TP? 

Oh, sorry.. I missed that part. Not sure an actual recording exists, or, if so, when it was cut. Maybe 81 or 82? But Reptiles sure is a TP song (as are the 2003 songs mentioned) According to Tom he wrote Reptiles, as can be imagined, about lawyers, during/ in the aftermath of his lawsuit battles of 80/81.

28 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Oh, sorry.. I missed that part. Not sure an actual recording exists, or, if so, when it was cut. Maybe 81 or 82? But Reptiles sure is a TP song (as are the 2003 songs mentioned) According to Tom he wrote Reptiles, as can be imagined, about lawyers, during/ in the aftermath of his lawsuit battles of 80/81.

Thanks for your help, Shelter!! Will check those Chicago Five.
Worried Guy and Showtime are new to me too. And I though I was a dedicated fan, haha.

I'd say, time for American Treasure Part II 😉 But first finally....All The Rest please!

15 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

Found 2 other tunes on this japanese fansite here:

https://www.herecomeshb.jp/hb/wild1/song/song-others.htm

Boat Song - She's The One

Back Into Los Angeles - The Last DJ

Have you guys heard of these?

Right. I've seen those. I have no other credible sources for those titles, though and I have never heard them myself. I have them as unconfirmed on my list. However, that JP site also lists There Ain't Enough Money and Goodbye Little Rich Girl, both from the LMU(IHE) sessions, and those just skipped my mind for the above post. They are mentioned elsewhere as well and even played live, so.... (The latter were played quite a few times live in 1987,  the first one, to my knowledge, was ever only performed once.. also in 87.. and that one I have never heard.) 

Speaking of Boat song.. There are the also the "jokes", that may or may not be included on such here list. Jokes, as in:

Titanic (performed at Storytellers)

I'm Stupid (performed on the road in home video, published as side material in the A Bunch of Videos (ABOVASOS) collection

The San Fernando Valley (spoken word piece/video, in typical FMF style, made for ABOVASOS collection as well.

Iguana Song (Last DJ sessions)

(And.. while not an original TP/TPATH song at all.. Ben's and Tom's backstage performance of John Fogerty's The Old Man Down The Road (in Italian?!) at the beginning of the Pack Up The Plantation concert film, is quite groovy... )

To my mind songs like Moon Pie, Girl On LSD and even Heartbreaker's Beach Party kinda.. sorta.. belongs to this category as well.

16 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

The title "Back into Los Angeles" sound very promising to me somehow. Would love to hear that one...

Yeah.. I wonder. Can't help but notice how, potentially, very fitting titles like that one, Alive Again and Showtime.. would seem, given the loose The Last DJ album concept. Interesting also, since the left over LDJ material, however much there might be in total, is so rarely talked about, not much known or rumoured beyond those two or three titles, really, is there.*

----

*Of course, given the obscurity of the LDJ info available, there is also the stray chance that Back Into Los Angeles could in fact be the same song as one of the other two. This type of name confusion riddles several of the pre Heartbreakers songs from the mid 70s, where several certain Mudcrutch demos are known under different names, despite being the same song. Again, though.. I know next to nothing about the additional LDJ material, but I'd love to know more! This album/era seems to grow on me with time.

Personally, I think, some of his best songs are Outtakes:
Waiting for tonight
Keep a Little Soul
Home
Trailer (80s Version)
Keeping Me Alive
Turning Point
Casa Dega
Lost in your Eyes (Mudcrutch)
Long way from Home (Mudcrutch)

So I hope, some of the other Outtakes will appear someday soon. TPs Wildflower-Era-Songrwriting couldn't produce a bad song, I think. But this is a story of its own 😕

36 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

So I hope, some of the other Outtakes will appear someday soon. TPs Wildflower-Era-Songrwriting couldn't produce a bad song, I think. But this is a story of its own 😕

some would argue against this statement with the existence of Girl on LSD - I personally get a kick out of the song and have been doing some "shower thoughts" on track listing / mixing for All the rest with what we have released now.  My thinking would be that Girl on LSD makes the cut but as a "hidden track" with a few minutes of silence ahead of this song coming on like other artists have done (Beck) from time to time back in that era. :D

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

some would argue against this statement with the existence of Girl on LSD - I personally get a kick out of the song and have been doing some "shower thoughts" on track listing / mixing for All the rest with what we have released now.  My thinking would be that Girl on LSD makes the cut but as a "hidden track" with a few minutes of silence ahead of this song coming on like other artists have done (Beck) from time to time back in that era. :D

Nothing from with a little fun--song for me :-)

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

Actually.. This exists as studio recording. Aka Can't Get Close To You. Reportedly part of the cancelled solo album project of 1975. (As was first version of Louisiana Rain a cover of Rolling Stone's "We've Got a Good Thing Going".. and Lost In Your Eyes, Since You Said You Love Me, Another Lonely Night.. Strangered In The Night and Hometown Blues from first LP is from here as well.)

Whoa. You almost forget that TP was signed as a solo act for a brief moment with Shelter Records, circa 1975.

Mudcrutch is signed in 1974. Record never happens.

------

What if the world saw a Tom Petty solo album in 1975? What would that record look like? I say we'd get to hear the studio recording of Dog on the Run. The whole album has gotta have that bridge feel - somewhere between a Mudcrutch/TPATH sonic thing. Struggling to be cohesive, a hybrid of all the influences and instincts built into an ambitious 25 year old TP thus far. Going off of the above track list, and Mudcrutch set lists for clues, I imagine something like this....(see attached).

Unhappy with being a "solo artist", and Tom being the stubborn guy he is, goes back to the label (who is starting to have their doubts about him), and tells them his next effort HAS TO BE A BAND EFFORT.

------

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers first LP is released in 1976.

TP_Dog on the Run LP.jpg

TP_Dog on the Run LP2.jpg