nurktwin

New TPATH Releases

1 minute ago, martin03345 said:

Did I miss something in all this noise? Who, when and where was any of that stuff mentioned?

The articles have all referenced this email Adria sent (specific recipient unknown):

“What I don’t have the temperament for is having my entire life raped,” she wrote. “Being disparaged. My dad being disgraced. And being surrounded by selfish, unreliable people and drug addicts.”

2 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Gotcha. Only got a chance to read the legal PDF so far

The initial link/article really quoted stuff in snippets and somewhat out of context.. for the slightly disturbing/chock effect of the wording, no doubt. In the the legal document the email in question - to Ben and Mike, supposedly - is presented more or less in its entirety. And it paints a picture that's frankly no less disturbing...

without reading it I'm not shocked by all the feelings and arguments, suden death of a loved one is going to bring up blame, pain anger it's all part of grieving, 

To argue over all the rest which Tom clearly was going to put out soon (although tom said a lot of stuff that never happened)  And is with out a doubt the most popular and wanted album by fans and I would argue general public to, just seems selfish.  Compromise  put all the rest out and than take a break nothing for a year.   

4 minutes ago, billy the kid said:

And is with out a doubt the most popular and wanted album by fans and I would argue general public to, just seems selfish.  Compromise  put all the rest out and than take a break nothing for a year.   

Plus, this is something that Tom wanted to put out.

I just hope the Wildflowers box set doesn't go the way of Half-Life 3: stuck in hiatus so long that Valve seems almost afraid to touch it because there's no way it'll possibly live up to the expectations it built.

1 hour ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Yikes. This thing just gets messier and messier.

Does anyone have a link to the PDF? I'd like to skim through it myself.

See just above.

12 hours ago, Shelter said:

Woah.. is THAT a morning well spent!! Sh*tstorm.

Yep.

12 hours ago, Shelter said:

To read in plain text what so often been hinted at - that Tom's original vision of it was ready to rock, so to speak, already back in 2015 - is at the same time sad and reassuring.

I get what you're saying about "sad and reassuring".

My only guess as to why it didn't come out then was the record company figured it would sell better with a tour. Or maybe Tom wanted to release it and do this unique WF tour with old and new material so it got pushed back. 2015 was an off year for the Heartbreakers from touring and maybe Tom was maybe (?) gearing up for  entering Mudcrutch mode then. After that came the 40th tour. Now if the project is expanding into a box set coupled with this recent legal revelation, I think my guess for a 25th anniversary release was hopelessly optimistic. 

But if Tom had it set, which is how it seems, if that's really accurate, then release the darn thing as it is. 

13 hours ago, Shelter said:

that Ryan's then been assigned to go through (probably what Mike was talking about in those weirdly/grossly edited a la mode interview snippets recently) - presumably to expand an original +10 songs edition idea into a full box set to commemorate the 25th Anniversary this year -

That fits the situation for sure and explains that weird disconnect.

7 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

This is definitely at least one level too deep inside a dungeon I never wanted to enter.

I hear ye man!

7 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

and took a break from the PDF  as it was 270 pages.

Yeah, crazy. I read a bunch of the email stuff at the beginning and the complaints but started skimming the stuff about the trust and then felt a bit grimy and figured that's just way too far for me.

7 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

there was a ton of bickering about using 'Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' for both collections with Adria saying it should be only 'Tom Petty' to capitalize on the loss of her dad

This is just more pointless speculation. I figure, she misses her Dad and wants him to get his due, maybe just really putting the focus on him. What do I know? The thing is, most people I've spoken with usually refer to the band as Tom Petty, some throw in the Heartbreakers or say the whole thing; he's the singer, the songwriter, probably has the most interviews and photos, there's no doubting where he stands in pop culture and he even has his more or less signature look, top hat and such from the DCAHNM video.

I figure grief has just put her into this state of mind where she doesn't see how Tom has always been out front despite keeping the band together and being loyal to them. 

To me, And the Heartbreakers naturally follows Tom Petty. It doesn't diminish him at all. He was the captain and he did his best to manage the crew through the turbulent rock and roll industry waters.  But that's all easy for me to see from the outside.

But I really do think And the Heartbreakers should be added to everything unless it's specifically FMF or Highway Companion or even WF though they played on that too.

When a collection has so many songs with the Heartbreakers playing on, to not have them in the title would be wrong.

5 hours ago, Thelonious said:

with the 10 additional tracks, one can at least question, why there should be more (unfinished) material on it. Maybe he just didn't want that stuff to be put out.

That's a good point. I figure let Mike and Benmot sort that out, additional demos and such. But if true that Tom had set up All The Rest as the ten tracks, then out of respect for him, just use that version.

2 hours ago, billy the kid said:

Compromise  put all the rest out and than take a break nothing for a year.

This makes sense. The longer this goes on the more money for the legal teams. Probably stepping back and reassessing makes the most sense. But as soon as some formal battle lines are drawn that gets more challenging to do, especially now for better or for worse this stuff has become public. Then factor in Tom's reputation regarding the DTT tapes and Hard Promises record price and that legacy to be lived up to possibly in their minds, I don't know, it just seems like one big legal/emotional mess. 

Considering all of this, it's impressive how smoothly they promoted AAT since to all of us, it seemed like they were a unified coalition.

Now it turns out there was all this in-fighting and acrimony. 

2 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I just hope the Wildflowers box set doesn't go the way of Half-Life 3

Like Shelter talking about Chinese Democracy and how it eventually came out, I think All The Rest as Tom finished it or a box set will eventually come out. It could be too that the impending 25th anniversary of the record will motivate them to figure it all out.

Overall I don't know what to believe at this point, or how legitimate the email(s) quoted are though I suppose they'd have to be legitimate or that would be libel. What a mess.

3 minutes ago, martin03345 said:

All I know is after all this time, it better have more than 10 tracks attached to it lol. the DTT re-release was incredibly underwhelming due to the lack of new material

I think ten tracks is a good length. Maybe there'd be more if not for She's The One, but if the new ten were mixed in with the original album you'd have twenty-five which is a pretty good sized double album.

If true that Tom had this in place then I'd rather them release what he wanted rather than expanding into demos and the like. An album with ten tracks that flow together nicely is pretty good, I think. Heck, I don't even count WF in my top five TPATH albums (I prefer She's The One over it) so I'd just be happy for the people who've been hoping for this to come out to finally have it and to hear the new music. 

cheers

14 hours ago, Shelter said:

Chinese Democracy in the field of the legendary absurd, here and now entering hyperspace.

In a way GNR seem the exact opposite of TPATH, the anti-TPATH as it were. A band where the lead singer dominated to the point that he was the only one remaining and instead of a career filled with records of the original band or close to it, seeing how far they could grow together musically, you get Chinese Democracy. It was Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers yet he did what he could to keep them as a band, whereas GNR became a band in name only.

23 hours ago, wild1forever said:

This is so unfortunate. However, I must say that I am on Team Adria/Annakim.

I think it's one of those situations where there isn't an objective point of view, that everyone thinks they are in the right regarding the musical legacy. I could be wrong. Maybe we'll find out in time.

I think there's a respectful, classy way to release unheard tracks and albums without rehashing the same old songs most everyone here already owns. And maybe they'll find that way going forward; but I say this as largely not a fan of box sets.

There's just too much we don't know about any of it no Insider (pun intended) perspective.

cheers

20 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

But either way, reading this was the original plan for what eventually became the American Treasure box set is disheartening.

Actually yes. That's what I think.

It's amazing how the scandal tinged news coverage seem to distract even the most deep heart fans - like us here - from pondering the really interesting information that seeps through here. I'm not so interested in their personal differences (other than whatever it implies for the jeopardized future of archival releases), their tantrums or their possible psychological or financial reasons for fighting. What strikes me as both interesting and important is rather what the plans are (were) for the music. What ideas are worked on and what ideas are opposed. At least that will give us a rough map of the possibilities.

It seems to me:

* Dana's grand vision of honouring Tom's legacy (and his fans, and the estate/trust profit, let's not forget) seems to be blending her idea about Tom's wishes with the wishes of the label and the band and the fans... the world outside, as it were. That is, to explore with dignity the vaults and set a series of releases up due to anniversary chronology and/or what may have been Tom's own priorities or interest in projects or eras. Starting then, ideally (according to her and Jenkins and Ben & Mike and...??) with Wildflowers - All The Rest in 2019. Further - she also, despite (or humbly because of?) her own lack of professional experience in all this, seem very keen on involving Adria, Anna-Kim, Ben and Mike and Ryan in all of this, making sure that the lot of them together pass judgement of what can and should be done close enough in line with the spirit of Tom. She seems to think that this would be key to Tom's desires. So, I suppose if this team, which to me seem pretty much like the same old team (save for Tony and Tom himself.... damit) was to run things, we could perhaps expect All The Rest to come out, at long last, towards the end of this year and then if and when they find another batch of quality and integrity stuff, a good enough context and concept, a year or two down the road - who knows what the schedule will be, it's of less importance as long as the integrity flag is flying - there would be another release, perhaps a live set or some Mudcrutch set (both Ben and Mike seem to be into both those ideas and they speak about these things as if Tom would have been into that as well), or what Adria mentioned about Southern Accents vaults being so full of goodies (another All The Rest type of box then perhaps?) for the 35 years anniversary perhaps, late next year.. and so on and so forth. I'm just speculating, of course. But in general terms, this seem to be Dana's agenda and wishes with the archives. Probably a great way to honour the legacy by showcasing a deeper level of Tom's genius and an additional dimension of The Heartbreakers story, if you ask me. (I wonder why they didn't.) Also probably the best way to make some money out of all this, no doubt - In cases like this, profit and integrity is not really opposite entities by necessity. Oh, hum.. 

*Adria's grand vision seem to be very similar to her personal vision. That is, it's her dad. And that tends to make it complicated. The sisters' talk of "not selling out" seem to reflect a very understandable private defence mechanism in relation to the material, but also some confusion about what selling out really mean in this case? How to understand it? Is a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers credit over a Tom Petty credit selling out? (Didn't they also die in a way? Isn't it their legacy too, even if Tom was the mastermind and the one we want to remember especially right now?) Is releasing anything that Tom didn't explicitly OK in advance selling out? Anything that is not strictly private would be selling out, right? Well, if one wants to play the devils advocate one could argue that they already did sell-out,  then.. or at the very least that a repackaging focus on the material is problematic.. One could also argue, from an artistic point of view that the Dana/management/band side also work quite hard to prevent any selling-out, with all their apparent efforts and interest in the artistic dimension, the expanding the legacy over just repacking it. Either way, whatever they mean by selling out, if indeed the first idea was to honour Tom's memory and musical heritage with a 2 disc set of previously released album deep tracks only, supposedly very personally selected at that (which could, for a few of us, be quite interesting in itself,) that would, from a market point of view be totally nuts. If sales and money worry Tom's extended family just half as much as it seem in these documents (Dana doesn't pretend that money is of no importance, she spells out the numbers that could be earned to the trustees from her vision, and Adria seems to care less.. but still she express worry that they will all starve unless she takes over and run things more competently, professionally, in effect) the idea of such a no-hits/no-news revue selling many copies is laughable. I am sorry, but despite a lot of other most understandable aspects and the tons of love and respect I feel for Tom's daughters, if this double disc mentioned  indeed was the best idea, this does not speak for her credibility and judgement in any way. It does not speak for great deeds to come. Despite all the big words in her presentation of her (rightfully!) importance and role in all this, a few things does not seem all that professional to me. (But I'm aware that it is also how Dana wants her to come across, so..) On the other hand, it does seem very genuine and human, and it's hard to argue with that. Unfortunately it's also hard for anyone involved, judging from the situation as presented in the document we have (biased as it is in nature) to know anything about nothing, impossible to run anything professionally and smoothly, if all this huge complex apparatus and decisions are gonna be on-hold, dependent on the emotional whims of one (or two) people. "When do I feel like what? Let's see... I'll call you back." Needless to say, though I have no indications whatsoever that the sisters are in any way uninterested in showing the world more of Tom's hidden treasures in due time, what seem like a heck of a combination of irrational behaviour, self-asserted creative ambitions and (inherited?) severe control issues, makes it impossible to speculate what and when they would have anything in mind. Not to mention how impossible it would be for other involved to adopt to and work with. Again, pure speculation.

But, these speculations about their view on releases and material aside.. it strikes me that Adria's email (quoted apparently at large in the legal document) really seems to disprove a lot of the claims to professionality that is it's meant to convey. Quite paradoxical that way. But that may be just me.    

Finally then, all this means, as I understand it, that both sides, given the chance to have last word, may produce some highly interesting releases in the future, full of love and respect for Tom's work. However, it does seem, for now, for whatever personal or rational or emotional reasons, or whatever they have in mind for later, that the sisters want to.. wait, I take it.. while the Dana/management/band side seem more interested in slowly moving along, exploring the unissued sides of Tom's work, of having a plan, a professional outlook, as it were. Paying Tom respect by displaying unknown sides of his work and the band's, basically. And, speaking of adopting professional outlook on frequent archival releases, how endlessly ironic then, that according to her own claims, Adria is the one who's been consulting Jeff Rosen! Hahahaha...! It's just too crazy.

As a very final plead, in all humbleness - in order to steer away from selling out, please, no more swag, tumblers, pins, coasters, visors, bags and hats with Tom on them.. Let the music talk, thank you!   

(Disclaimer: Should anyone feel upset about anything I just wrote, that I put the Dana section first, or anything else that may be sensitive, please be assured that I have the utmost respect for anyone involved in Tom's estate/trust, his life and music and I did not, with the above ramblings, try to pass judgement on anyone on a personal level or point one single person out as better suited to decide (quite the opposite, actually, and that may be the problem, come to think of it...). Again, it's all in good spirit, trying to ponder what all this could mean for us fans and the future of Tom's vaults, his music, heard and unheard. Simple as that. I really wish it would not have to come to law suits and silly behaviour like this, over any of it, and I sure don't wish to contribute to a mini-version of it among us fans. I am sure all think they have their reasons and they are so entitled. Not to mention there are surely a lot of stuff that we don't know of. (If it hadn't been for the fact that the "accusing" document had so much to offer in ways of letting the "accused" speak, I would surely not have said even as little as I now have. It's not fair basing a whole load of ponderings on one side of the story. I realize this and really try to take it into account. So.. don't shoot me, is all I'm saying, for trying to rationalize all of it just a little bit, trying to keep what's important in the hundreds of pages that rightfully seem to overwhelm (bore and frighten) people, in focus - that is the future of the music. What could us fans be looking at here..? That's what interests me. And worries me some.)

Be good, stay friends, love and respect to all! Don't be selfish, unreliable, drug addicts, and I try to do the same.

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

As a very final plead, in all humbleness - in order to steer away from selling out, please, no more swag, tumblers, pins, coasters, visors, bags and hats with Tom on them.. Let the music talk, thank you!   

I have some rather profanity-laced chatlogs where I expressed dismay to a friend that the first newsletter that I received from the official site following Tom's death was this.

Spoiler

VOndAcc.png

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

It seems to me:

* Dana's grand vision of honouring Tom's legacy (and his fans, and the estate/trust profit, let's not forget) seems to be blending her idea about Tom's wishes with the wishes of the label and the band and the fans... the world outside, as it were. That is, to explore with dignity the vaults and set a series of releases up due to anniversary chronology and/or what may have been Tom's own priorities or interest in projects or eras. Starting then, ideally (according to her and Jenkins and Ben & Mike and...??) with Wildflowers - All The Rest in 2019. Further - she also, despite (or humbly because of?) her own lack of professional experience in all this, seem very keen on involving Adria, Anna-Kim, Ben and Mike and Ryan in all of this, making sure that the lot of them together pass judgement of what can and should be done close enough in line with the spirit of Tom. She seems to think that this would be key to Tom's desires. So, I suppose if this team, which to me seem pretty much like the same old team (save for Tony and Tom himself.... damit) was to run things, we could perhaps expect All The Rest to come out, at long last, towards the end of this year and then if and when they find another batch of quality and integrity stuff, a good enough context and concept, a year or two down the road - who knows what the schedule will be, it's of less importance as long as the integrity flag is flying - there would be another release, perhaps a live set or some Mudcrutch set (both Ben and Mike seem to be into both those ideas and they speak about these things as if Tom would have been into that as well), or what Adria mentioned about Southern Accents vaults being so full of goodies (another All The Rest type of box then perhaps?) for the 35 years anniversary perhaps, late next year.. and so on and so forth. I'm just speculating, of course. But in general terms, this seem to be Dana's agenda and wishes with the archives. Probably a great way to honour the legacy by showcasing a deeper level of Tom's genius and an additional dimension of The Heartbreakers story, if you ask me. (I wonder why they didn't.) Also probably the best way to make some money out of all this, no doubt - In cases like this, profit and integrity is not really opposite entities by necessity. Oh, hum.. 

*Adria's grand vision seem to be very similar to her personal vision. That is, it's her dad. And that tends to make it complicated. The sisters' talk of "not selling out" seem to reflect a very understandable private defence mechanism in relation to the material, but also some confusion about what selling out really mean in this case? How to understand it? Is a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers credit over a Tom Petty credit selling out? (Didn't they also die in a way? Isn't it their legacy too, even if Tom was the mastermind and the one we want to remember especially right now?) Is releasing anything that Tom didn't explicitly OK in advance selling out? Anything that is not strictly private would be selling out, right? Well, if one wants to play the devils advocate one could argue that they already did sell-out,  then.. or at the very least that a repackaging focus on the material is problematic.. One could also argue, from an artistic point of view that the Dana/management/band side also work quite hard to prevent any selling-out, with all their apparent efforts and interest in the artistic dimension, the expanding the legacy over just repacking it. Either way, whatever they mean by selling out, if indeed the first idea was to honour Tom's memory and musical heritage with a 2 disc set of previously released album deep tracks only, supposedly very personally selected at that (which could, for a few of us, be quite interesting in itself,) that would, from a market point of view be totally nuts. If sales and money worry Tom's extended family just half as much as it seem in these documents (Dana doesn't pretend that money is of no importance, she spells out the numbers that could be earned to the trustees from her vision, and Adria seems to care less.. but still she express worry that they will all starve unless she takes over and run things more competently, professionally, in effect) the idea of such a no-hits/no-news revue selling many copies is laughable. I am sorry, but despite a lot of other most understandable aspects and the tons of love and respect I feel for Tom's daughters, if this double disc mentioned  indeed was the best idea, this does not speak for her credibility and judgement in any way. It does not speak for great deeds to come. Despite all the big words in her presentation of her (rightfully!) importance and role in all this, a few things does not seem all that professional to me. (But I'm aware that it is also how Dana wants her to come across, so..) On the other hand, it does seem very genuine and human, and it's hard to argue with that. Unfortunately it's also hard for anyone involved, judging from the situation as presented in the document we have (biased as it is in nature) to know anything about nothing, impossible to run anything professionally and smoothly, if all this huge complex apparatus and decisions are gonna be on-hold, dependent on the emotional whims of one (or two) people. "When do I feel like what? Let's see... I'll call you back." Needless to say, though I have no indications whatsoever that the sisters are in any way uninterested in showing the world more of Tom's hidden treasures in due time, what seem like a heck of a combination of irrational behaviour, self-asserted creative ambitions and (inherited?) severe control issues, makes it impossible to speculate what and when they would have anything in mind. Not to mention how impossible it would be for other involved to adopt to and work with. Again, pure speculation.

But, these speculations about their view on releases and material aside.. it strikes me that Adria's email (quoted apparently at large in the legal document) really seems to disprove a lot of the claims to professionality that is it's meant to convey. Quite paradoxical that way. But that may be just me.   

I think this is a good summary of the two sides, based only on what we know so far with seemingly incomplete information.

Dana knows she needs input from others, which is good, and is open to lots of projects, which is good. (Seems like Mike and Benmont would be too.) Could she be out for some $$$? It's possible, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Adria's decision-making and judgement are obviously heavily weighed by affection and grief for her dad. She's very conservative and very cognizant of her dad's integrity and legacy — possibly too much so. She's always seemed like a bright person to me, but she seems to have a bit of a blind spot for fans' interests. Her ideas so far (a deep cuts-only release with no new material, taking the Heartbreakers name off the titles, and postponing the Wildflowers release again) run counter to fans' preferences.

Again, this is putting aside for the moment the unpleasantness of the legal mudslinging and Adria's overly dramatic lashing out at Mike and Benmont etc. Assuming all that stuff gets resolved, I hope Wildflowers, the Fillmore live set, the unused Hypnotic Eye tracks, and the unused Mudcrutch material (from the '70s and 2016) all actually get released. These are all projects with the utmost amount of integrity and fan demand, so there's really no basis for "sell out" accusations. All parties can rest easy the legacy is and will be untainted. 

On April 4, 2019 at 9:39 AM, High Grass Dog said:

But either way, reading this was the original plan for what eventually became the American Treasure box set is disheartening.

If it had been two discs of unreleased material that would've been good but two discs of deep cuts from the albums wouldn't have been much of a draw. I can appreciate the idea behind it, focusing on the lesser known tracks but at this point, with hindsight, bundling them together with some unreleased stuff in AAT seems the better plan. 

For me the bigger disappointment if I understood it correctly was Dana's (?) and the company's plans to release yet another Greatest Hits collection. C'mon. There's GH, Anthology, AAT and BOE. Another GH? It's ridiculous. 

It's also interesting to have a bit of an inside peek at the money amounts thrown around and the focus on promotion, etc. Though at the same time something a bit dismal about it too. He's been gone just over a year and a half and it seems like it just comes down to $. I get it, bills, lifestyles, salaries...it's just the difference between being the listener and engaging with the music on how it speaks to one's heart than dealing with all the complex machinery running underneath.

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

in order to steer away from selling out, please, no more swag, tumblers, pins, coasters, visors, bags and hats with Tom on them.. Let the music talk, thank you!  

I agree. I hope things are sorted out for everyone's emotional well being; I'm sure once whatever releases are agreed upon will generate money.

I could be wrong but it's respectable if Tom's daughters are more concerned about the quality of the music released in addition to financial concerns, despite some bad judgment, wanting to leave off The Heartbreakers.

From here on out, unless whomever's in charge judgment calls happen to line up with my preferences I'll probably just end up cherry picking whatever new music comes down the pike if it's clustered with a lot of previous songs.

Like others have said, the whole thing's a mess.

Thanks for the link to the pdf; I wasn't seeing it in the original Variety article.

I don't know if I have the energy to pore through all 200+ pages. This is so unfortunate, but in my experience, all kinds of crap happens when a loved one dies. When you're Tom Petty's family, though, it plays out publicly, which just makes it even harder and more stressful. I'm sure Tom wouldn't have wanted it this way, and that makes me sad.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

For me the bigger disappointment if I understood it correctly was Dana's (?) and the company's plans to release yet another Greatest Hits collection. C'mon. There's GH, Anthology, AAT and BOE. Another GH? It's ridiculous. 

I think someone misinterpreted the article / PDF  the "greatest hits" refered to was the Best of Everything and not another (additional) collection.  The article mentions delays in the BOE due to ongoing changes with packaging etc that caused delays in the release and the need to rework track order, mixing and the packaging that had been finalized at expense to the estate and record company. 

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I think someone misinterpreted the article / PDF  the "greatest hits" refered to was the Best of Everything and not another (additional) collection.  The article mentions delays in the BOE due to ongoing changes with packaging etc that caused delays in the release and the need to rework track order, mixing and the packaging that had been finalized at expense to the estate and record company. 

Thanks, I'll take your word for it, that makes sense, don't feel like wading back into that document. 

cheers

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but.. since haven't seen anyone else stepping forward.. here's a piece widely circulated yesterday. Backfire, is the name of the game. But perhaps most accurately described, it's "destructive nonsense", all of it, through and through.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/russespinoza/2019/05/16/tom-pettys-daughters-sue-artists-widow-for-control-of-estate-and-damages/#3db5f0ba2447

I suppose this means it will be a long while before we see anything bright or constructive from the TP camp(s). Shame.

I don't know bout you guys, but to me this whole ordeal have made me lost a lot of my interest in whatever they decide to do from here on out.. They have already kinda ruined all the fun, all the hope for something good coming (alright) despite our loss of Tom.

If I knew it to be a fact that Dana was behind all the producing and pushing the endless stream of ugly swag crap on the official web, if I knew Dana to be the one not listening to, respecting and involving the Heartbreakers (and Ryan?) and other key persons in the music and strategic matters, if I knew Dana to be the one who wanted shut everyone out and run the show her self, yeah.. if I knew it was her idea to have AAT to be previously released deep tracks only, noticeable reluctant to honour Tom through highlighting the creative dimensions and processes of Tom's, by procrastinated everything connected with releasing archival material or following through even on Tom's own list of begun projects and priorites, being irrational in relations to insiders and outsiders.. making sure to highlight her own name and projects as a subtext to Tom's rather than allowing The Heartbreakers and their joint professional venture/brand with Tom over 4 decades call first prio… Well... if I knew that Dana refused to appoint someone professional (skilled and loyal, presumably) who really knows his/her way about running estates like this in a both financially and artistically sound way, but rather kept fans and band alike out to deal with the mourning and office regiment all on her own... well, if I knew all that to be true about her being selfish and greedy, I would have no problem understand Adria's and Anna-Kim's frustration at this point, (or all along).

But. Really. However hard I try, it's hard to put most of those things on Dana, isn't it. Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but I just can't help but thinking someone else is the problem. (About those ever returning - all seasons is crummy gifts season - specials in the official TP store, may those are Dana's brain children... and if so, I'm prepared to call her evil.. but in the light of all the rest... eh.. wow.. how did I manage t-h-a-t reference with such grace? I really think - no matter how much or little greed is buried in what places and no matter how much everyone is entitled to their own personal greif, even in the shadow of public professional icons dying - I really think Dana, Mike and Ben so far seem to be the ones thinking the most of the long term legacy and the music of Tom, the artist, as it were. When it comes to Tom the father, that is another matter. Endlessly sad the way things have happened of course, but really.. not a dimension to mix up with the professional dealings of a creative and artistic legacy and brand finances. Maybe some people have some waking up to do in this regard, and maybe some starting to ask themselves, who is really stopping who from earning money and why? Biting ones own tail? Or just being plain silly? All in the name of grief and loss. 

All in all, I suppose this is it. There will be no more endlessly fascinating and deeply heartfelt rear view glances of the genius that was Tom Petty. At least not in the shape of previously unheard music or any other substantial projects made in good celebratory spirit and with a warm friendly vibe (turns out the first and only one out wasn't as friendly as they wanted us to think). At least not for a foreseeable time anyway (in this generation?). And at least not without an Adria Petty Corp. video to go with it.

Peace and Love to all.

/S