Jump to content
nurktwin

New TPATH Releases

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

My gut is that Adria's heart is in the right place in trying to preserve and prevent any cheapening of Tom's legacy with obviously rushed, value-less cash grabs.

Yeah, it's hard to tell what's cooking exactly.. much like your iconic avatar suggest it goes back and forth, probably. What you wrote just there, in terms of "cheapening" made me think two things:

1. A set like TBOE must, by all available or conceivable standards, be seen as a lot bigger "cash grab", than any imaginable Wildflowers edition. (I know, I know.. they pretty much had to let TBOE out there, in order for them to be able to make An American Treasure happen.. but still.. Just saying - as a project it has got nothing of true passion, integrity and plain.. value.. no a concept like "All The Rest". I've heard Tom speak of it enough times to feel sure about that part.) Also, wasn't Adria the one recently talking of what a treasure of unreleased gems that the Southern Accents sessions was, or did I dream that? I'm sure she was thinking a few years ahead.. but like you seem to agree... wouldn't high quality projects like that, artistically and integrity-wise, be more important than "timing" or mass hits repackaging then... Especially considering how two fairly vast-yet- repackaging-heavy releases made it out in a few months without it bothering anyone too much...

Then again - like I said to begin with - I don't know the details enough to say anything final, really. One side says, we should have a new release out every third month to keep the brand hot? And the other is saying no every third year, not to water out the brand? What a silly dimension to occupy. Like you say, if it's good and from the heart and in line with what Tom was on about, I'd say go for it!    

2. If the cash-grab aspect is what's worrying Adria, it's a good thing, that at least personally, most things I'd like to see released probably won't make them any money at all! :D 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/legal-and-management/8505405/tom-petty-widow-daughters-estate-legal-battle

She states that Adria's "erratic behavior" held up the release of a posthumous Greatest Hits album

 

----I guess I was naive to think there wouldn't be another GH or another attempted one, if true.

Beyond that, I guess this is how I see it: The band released a couple albums I think are good from top to bottom, great mix of songs and balance of emotion. Other albums with a core of good songs and some clunkers. And a couple albums with more clunkers than good music. A lot of fun concerts to listen to from different periods of time and thanks to the generosity of hardcore fans and the internet, available for free and in good quality. And I've got my own nostalgia for the times I've seen them live.

Everything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Sure, potential for more fulfilling meals but until All The Rest is released or other albums of unheard music come out I shouldn't have any expectations. Just like I should probably know better than when all reporting is stating how good things are when it comes to releases like AAT, everyone is putting their best face forward. 

From the outside looking in it's a sad sight, with heavy emotions on all sides and at the same time, it's tempting to yell out across the internet...you're all quite wealthy and surely things can be worked out without attorneys! But feelings are feelings no matter where one resides on the financial spectrum. And it really isn't my business.

---I really don't understand why All The Rest hasn't appeared since it seemed like Tom took an active hand in its creation/recreation. Oh well. Again, for all you WF lovers and there are many, I hope it does come out true to Tom's vision sooner than later.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

If the cash-grab aspect is what's worrying Adria, it's a good thing, that at least personally, most things I'd like to see released probably won't make them any money at all! :D 

Ha ha. I guess I should stop waiting on the orchestral arrangement of It Ain't Nothin' To Me.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Yeah, it's hard to tell what's cooking exactly.. much like your iconic avatar suggest it goes back and forth, probably. What you wrote just there, in terms of "cheapening" made me think two things:

1. A set like TBOE must, by all available or conceivable standards, be seen as a lot bigger "cash grab", than any imaginable Wildflowers edition. (I know, I know.. they pretty much had to let TBOE out there, in order for them to be able to make An American Treasure happen.. but still.. Just saying - as a project it has got nothing of true passion, integrity and plain.. value.. no a concept like "All The Rest". I've heard Tom speak of it enough times to feel sure about that part.) Also, wasn't Adria the one recently talking of what a treasure of unreleased gems that the Southern Accents sessions was, or did I dream that? I'm sure she was thinking a few years ahead.. but like you seem to agree... wouldn't high quality projects like that, artistically and integrity-wise, be more important than "timing" or mass hits repackaging then... Especially considering how two fairly vast-yet- repackaging-heavy releases made it out in a few months without it bothering anyone too much...

Then again - like I said to begin with - I don't know the details enough to say anything final, really. One side says, we should have a new release out every third month to keep the brand hot? And the other is saying no every third year, not to water out the brand? What a silly dimension to occupy. Like you say, if it's good and from the heart and in line with what Tom was on about, I'd say go for it!    

2. If the cash-grab aspect is what's worrying Adria, it's a good thing, that at least personally, most things I'd like to see released probably won't make them any money at all! :D 

 

 

Personally, I don't see the Best of Everything as such a big deal. It's just a compilation of old songs (all of which I own and have listened to for years). I'm glad it exists, and it's a nice moment to get both eras on one release. But I'd much rather have new or unreleased stuff, which is why I would be frustrated if the releases of much more exciting projects were delayed due to some kind of recognition of a greatest hits collection.

Adria and Dana both probably have the best of intentions. Adria might be so obsessed with preserving her dad's legacy that she misses the forest for the trees a little here. Dana doesn't have any real experience in this realm either though. I really hope Mike and Benmont can take a more active role in steering the ship musically. Their taste and instincts are impeccable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just disgusted by it.  Tom loved all of them.  Why can't they just honor that and play nice.  Humans are complicated creatures.  Let's not forget Jane in all of this.  She was never discussed, never mentioned until Tom died.  Now she is in the kids Instagram posts, at the Park dedication.....   Moms can stir things up.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I guess I should stop waiting on the orchestral arrangement of It Ain't Nothin' To Me.

You mean you want MORE orchestra in there??

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

Personally, I don't see the Best of Everything as such a big deal.

Yeah, me neither. I think I heard what you said and think my reasoning went agreeable rather than controversal with it so to speak. It's a matter of priorities, surely, and I suppose the creative dimension should, to me, and to you I take it, take front seat over repackaging, if the idea is that you have to pick one over the other. I did not mean to contradict you at all.

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

I really hope Mike and Benmont can take a more active role in steering the ship musically.

Right. Me too. From what I gather though they too got more than their share of the stinger, in whatever has been going down... So..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LoversTouch said:

Just disgusted by it.  Tom loved all of them.  Why can't they just honor that and play nice.  Humans are complicated creatures.  Let's not forget Jane in all of this.  She was never discussed, never mentioned until Tom died.  Now she is in the kids Instagram posts, at the Park dedication.....   Moms can stir things up.  

 

Topic for a different thread, but yeah, Jane's existence is completely mysterious. For years, she was completely invisible. Tom never ever spoke about her or any details of their divorce. Then the Zanes book came out, and she was discussed so oddly that you honestly couldn't tell if she was even alive anymore. Since Tom passed, she has popped up a bit, so at least we know she's still kicking. Really bizarre overall though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Right. Me too. From what I gather though they too got more than their share of the stinger, in whatever has been going down... So..

This might be the most disturbing part of this ordeal. You can give Adria (and Dana) the benefit of the doubt and assume their heart is in the right place and assume it's just the execution that needs some tweaking with the legal stuff. But what's up with the rant against the band members? Who are the alleged "drug addicts"? Why the needless rape reference? There needs to be significant explaining for any of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 3:11 PM, seltaeb said:

Thank you for sharing that. Is there a source for this? I have always wondered how "The Best of Everything" got out. I think that's the one that Tom would have been displeased of, especially given his oppositions to the Greatest Hits album in 1993.

So your reasoning about MCA/Warner makes a lot of sense.

Can’t find the original source, but this is from the legal filing

E1055131-429A-491C-8FF6-A744337735BE.thumb.jpeg.f5342e843bab3bfd37a42916837cd6c6.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bonddm said:

Article has a PDF of the legal filing which includes information on “All the Rest”.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/tom-petty-daughter-widow-estate-battle-1203180081/

Woah.. is THAT a morning well spent!! Sh*tstorm... Must say though.. depressing as it reads, it actually does shed quite a bit of light upon a few things I've been wondering about lately. Very interesting that way. What it does not, however, is offering much hope in terms of this being just a minor scratch on the beautiful beast that is Tom's estate. Seems to me bitterness already has taken all the scalps necessary to make this a real wound, unfortunately. Erratic and rude, not to say snotty, being the name of the game, apparently. Self-assertive artistic ambitions that really should have no part in this, seem to peek through as well. And even if quite a lot seemingly genuine and warm intentions (obviously!) seems to shine through as well, on both sides, there seems to be quite a few tracks derailed here, a few manners coming off their rockers. Even if the one's claim - that the other is basically lying - turns out not to be the whole truth either... it certainly feel like some is in way over their head, and that they need this professional executive someone to run the ship, before rambling paranoia take lead. 

As for Wildflowers - All The Rest, we're already beyond the point where this release surpassed Chinese Democracy in the field of the legendary absurd, here and now entering hyperspace. To read in plain text what so often been hinted at - that Tom's original vision of it was ready to rock, so to speak, already back in 2015 - is at the same time sad and reassuring. What is said about Dana then finding more demo type material from the era - a real treasure trove - that Ryan's then been assigned to go through (probably what Mike was talking about in those weirdly/grossly edited a la mode interview snippets recently) - presumably to expand an original +10 songs edition idea into a full box set to commemorate the 25th Anniversary this year - is also very good news, at the end of the day (sounds like the perfect, honourable and dignified idea, to me, actually). Something good coming (as it were) from the grieving process and the sadness over losing Tom.. His creative spirit being allowed to still be with us, somehow.. All this, given that the forces at work won't ruin everything before we get the chance to hear it, of course. After all, without further ado (well..) Chinese Democracy finally and quite suddenly (as I recall) came out, after some 10 years. 10 years, moreover, of a saga so strange and terrible that by the time it was out almost no one in their right mind had the slightest interest in it anymore. The myth surpassed it many times over and it couldn't possibly live up to it's own legend. Alas. Wildflowers -All The Rest is a totally different creature of course, an archival release at that, an invincible legend that way.. but still.. by now its saga already turns even stranger and more terrible than ever Chinese Democracy's. So, let's just hope that it's all for the best. Let's hope this is a much needed wake up call for everyone, as to what is needed to salvage the project and projects to come, to make good to it, to each other and to Tom. It has to get worse before it gets better kinda logic, that is... Some guidance over here, please! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bonddm said:

Can’t find the original source, but this is from the legal filing

E1055131-429A-491C-8FF6-A744337735BE.thumb.jpeg.f5342e843bab3bfd37a42916837cd6c6.jpeg

 

Either the PDF has been removed or I can't find it. But either way, reading this was the original plan for what eventually became the American Treasure box set is disheartening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelter said:

Woah.. is THAT a morning well spent!! Sh*tstorm... Must say though.. depressing as it reads, it actually does shed quite a bit of light upon a few things I've been wondering about lately. Very interesting that way. What it does not, however, is offering much hope in terms of this being just a minor scratch on the beautiful beast that is Tom's estate. Seems to me bitterness already has taken all the scalps necessary to make this a real wound, unfortunately. Erratic and rude, not to say snotty, being the name of the game, apparently. Self-assertive artistic ambitions that really should have no part in this, seem to peek through as well. And even if quite a lot seemingly genuine and warm intentions (obviously!) seems to shine through as well, on both sides, there seems to be quite a few tracks derailed here, a few manners coming off their rockers. Even if the one's claim - that the other is basically lying - turns out not to be the whole truth either... it certainly feel like some is in way over their head, and that they need this professional executive someone to run the ship, before rambling paranoia take lead. 

As for Wildflowers - All The Rest, we're already beyond the point where this release surpassed Chinese Democracy in the field of the legendary absurd, here and now entering hyperspace. To read in plain text what so often been hinted at - that Tom's original vision of it was ready to rock, so to speak, already back in 2015 - is at the same time sad and reassuring. What is said about Dana then finding more demo type material from the era - a real treasure trove - that Ryan's then been assigned to go through (probably what Mike was talking about in those weirdly/grossly edited a la mode interview snippets recently) - presumably to expand an original +10 songs edition idea into a full box set to commemorate the 25th Anniversary this year - is also very good news, at the end of the day (sounds like the perfect, honourable and dignified idea, to me, actually). Something good coming (as it were) from the grieving process and the sadness over losing Tom.. His creative spirit being allowed to still be with us, somehow.. All this, given that the forces at work won't ruin everything before we get the chance to hear it, of course. After all, without further ado (well..) Chinese Democracy finally and quite suddenly (as I recall) came out, after some 10 years. 10 years, moreover, of a saga so strange and terrible that by the time it was out almost no one in their right mind had the slightest interest in it anymore. The myth surpassed it many times over and it couldn't possibly live up to it's own legend. Alas. Wildflowers -All The Rest is a totally different creature of course, an archival release at that, an invincible legend that way.. but still.. by now its saga already turns even stranger and more terrible than ever Chinese Democracy's. So, let's just hope that it's all for the best. Let's hope this is a much needed wake up call for everyone, as to what is needed to salvage the project and projects to come, to make good to it, to each other and to Tom. It has to get worse before it gets better kinda logic, that is... Some guidance over here, please! 

 

Are you (or anyone) able to summarize some of the bigger takeaways from the PDF? Some of the bits about the Wildflowers box set sound interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shite! I was just reading this and took a break from the PDF  as it was 270 pages.  A lot of vitriol in the thing and it was kind of sad to read how spiteful Adria was toward Dana. One of the big gist of this was that Jane Petty owns the copyrights to a lot of Tom's music still and Jane was more or less letting Adria speak for her.  Dana at the direction of the estate plan from Tom had formed a LLC with  the girls and her as the three stake holders and the girls were systematically vetoing anything Dana wanted to do. 

As for All the rest, the document indicated Tom had a more or less finished project, there were 10 new tracks mentioned and he had been paid something around 400K from the record company for the rights to the project.  After Tom's passing the estate elected to do a deep dive and what they found was good enough for WB to offer another 500K for the rights.  Ryan U was asked to do a deep dive into the archives and early demos from before going into the studio as well as new tracks or versions of the tracks were found and some post production  was done by Ryan;  not a full mix but enough to see what was worth pursuing-  it would end up being a box set worth of material and not just a double album.  Adria was sent a contract offer from WB/Reprise and immediately and without talking to Dana rejected it.  She followed that up with a text  to someone Ryan(?) that shredded them for trying to move this forward until she took control of the estate.  Adria was painted as an out of control, control freak saying essentially only she could properly manage the music and legacy and she claimed she would control the music as of April 1 this year.

there was a ton of bickering about using 'Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' for both collections with Adria saying it should be only 'Tom Petty' to capitalize on the loss of her dad, there was also a big part covering how Adria was insisting on a forward for the box set with Dana and the band and Dana seemed opposed to it. 

as for TBE it was delayed in part from Adria making changes but also the record company wanted to wait so as not to hurt sales, in the end its one sided as it is from Dana and was produced the whole thing is sad and its partly about the money, partly about the legacy and a lot of it is about control and power.  T think they all loved Tom and want to honor his legacy but fundamentally disagree on how to do that and it seems there is a lot of bad blood now between the girls and Dana. :(   

 

I expect this will not resolve quickly and beyond what I wrote above they were looking at milestone years for DTT, FMF and WF as having special releases to commemorate 40 30 and 25 year milestones to celebrate the music and light a fire under catalog sales.   I would be very surprised to see All the Rest any time soon now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it, Adria. I love you, I respect you, I appreciate you, and I think your heart is in the right place, but please stop.

Release this Wildflowers All the Rest Box Set. In 2019. Cooperate for the greater good. Give it the green light. Do what you gotta do.

The fans want it. We've been waiting for 5 years now.

WB wants to do it. They paid a lot, and are offering more for the demos.

The marketing dept wants to do it, to capitalize on special anniversary dates. Fine. Cool.

Ryan U. wants to do it. He's the man. He found a treasure trove. He has great instincts. His loving care and mixes make the music sound out of this world. He and Mike and Ben can put together an awesome track list. Trust them.

Just reading the above snippet about finding the demos and home recordings gets us more excited than you will ever know. The album already is warm and intimate....we can only imagine what the home records sound like and they are starting to be formed, realized, and fleshed out.

Finally, Tom wanted to do it. Please do it....for your dad and for the fans. Not to be selfish here, but I think Tom would do it for the fans alone.

Please don't be silly about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Dang it, Adria. I love you, I respect you, I appreciate you, and I think your heart is in the right place, but please stop.

Release this Wildflowers All the Rest Box Set. In 2019. Cooperate for the greater good. Give it the green light. Do what you gotta do.

The fans want it. We've been waiting for 5 years now.

WB wants to do it. They paid a lot, and are offering more for the demos.

The marketing dept wants to do it, to capitalize on special anniversary dates. Fine. Cool.

Ryan U. wants to do it. He's the man. He found a treasure trove. He has great instincts. His loving care and mixes make the music sound out of this world. He and Mike and Ben can put together an awesome track list. Trust them.

Just reading the above snippet about finding the demos and home recordings gets us more excited than you will ever know. The album already is warm and intimate....we can only imagine what the home records sound like and they are starting to be formed, realized, and fleshed out.

Finally, Tom wanted to do it. Please do it....for your dad and for the fans. Not to be selfish here, but I think Tom would do it for the fans alone.

Please don't be silly about this.

It'd be great if a bunch of us put together a letter like this — or just this — and sent it to Adria somehow. She might be overwhelmed with the scope of what is going on and the enormity of her dad's legacy and may need to be reassured of what his fans really value and how we see things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Just reading the above snippet about finding the demos and home recordings gets us more excited than you will ever know. The album already is warm and intimate....we can only imagine what the home records sound like and they are starting to be formed, realized, and fleshed out.

Finally, Tom wanted to do it. Please do it....for your dad and for the fans. Not to be selfish here, but I think Tom would do it for the fans alone.

Please don't be silly about this. 

I'd love to hear the demos too. On the other hand, if TP had (more or less) finished the project with the 10 additional tracks, one can at least question, why there should be more (unfinished) material on it. Maybe he just didn't want that stuff to be put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

This might be the most disturbing part of this ordeal. You can give Adria (and Dana) the benefit of the doubt and assume their heart is in the right place and assume it's just the execution that needs some tweaking with the legal stuff. But what's up with the rant against the band members? Who are the alleged "drug addicts"? Why the needless rape reference? There needs to be significant explaining for any of that.

Did I miss something in all this noise? Who, when and where was any of that stuff mentioned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×