nurktwin

New TPATH Releases

What would you like to see as new TPATH releases?

I'd like to see releases of each LP in the writing and recording stages with all the talking, playing and mistakes made during the recording process. There must be tapes of all that somewhere.

53 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

What would you like to see as new TPATH releases?

I'd like to see releases of each LP in the writing and recording stages with all the talking, playing and mistakes made during the recording process. There must be tapes of all that somewhere.

1) All The Rest for all the fans who've patiently waited.

2) Unreleased material released as single albums with song selection either chronologically or by what makes the best flow of a record. Spaced out to be affordable and give time for people to appreciate or not. Simple albums, no more box sets.

3) The last show as a cd-release with a third disc of all the deep cuts and one off songs they played on this tour including the jam etc. from Red Rocks

4) Maybe the occasional gift to fans with a free live concert download from their past every so often, spaced out. These would not conflict with any Fillmore box set or other planned live releases; just random good quality shows from their past, with all the different configurations of the band.

5) Any unreleased Mudcrutch as a single or double album. I figure there isn't that much or at the same level as TPATH

6) A live Mudcrutch album or two

7) In-depth interview book or free online interviews with the other members of the band including Stan.

cheers

1 hour ago, Gregory18 said:

Thanks for the links, guys!

But an album would be nice, a new release. I knew about the video but good luck finding it today! I don't own a VCR anyway...

... you probably already know "Hard To Handle", directed by Gillian Anderson, based on Sydney concert, is readily available on DVD...

1 hour ago, TomFest said:

OK, well this is NOT good news

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/02/tom-pettys-widow-in-legal-battle-with-his-daughters/

According to Dana, the daughters are getting in the way of her including unreleased solo material on a 25th-anniversary reissue of his album “Wildflowers,” which she says could be worth millions in royalties.

She also included an email she says Adria sent to two surviving Heartbreakers, in which she allegedly wrote, “What I don’t have the temperament for is having my entire life raped. Being disparaged. My dad being disgraced. And being surrounded by selfish, unreliable people and drug addicts.”

---It's a shame. Hopefully they can work things out.

Maybe the above quote if accurate is why there's a delay in All The Rest and why recent interviews in a different thread made the whole thing seemed confused, as if just now someone began going through the old tracks. 

from the second article listed above:

She also says that Adria flipped out about the image that was to be used on a sign for a park dedicated to her father in his native Gainesville, Fla., even though she initially approved of the picture’s usage.

Its the DTT cover for gods sake. Can this be a real story???  I cant imagine he girls dont want All the Rest released as it seemed to clearly be a passion project of their Dads... 

Just now, Hoodoo Man said:

Its the DTT cover for gods sake. Can this be a real story???  I cant imagine he girls dont want All the Rest released as it seemed to clearly be a passion project of their Dads... 

It all seems a bit strange since everything seemed copacetic with AAT. Suddenly there's a lawsuit? I really thought TPATH's musical legacy would proceed smoothly. Who knows, none of us know these people or what's really going on. 

Really strange, as TP said numerous times (in public) , how important the Wildflowers-Project was to him. He already had plans to go on tour with the Double-Album... So in this case, things should be clear. 

39 minutes ago, Thelonious said:

Really strange, as TP said numerous times (in public) , how important the Wildflowers-Project was to him. He already had plans to go on tour with the Double-Album... So in this case, things should be clear. 

I think all parties are aware of the importance of the Wildflowers project to Tom's musical legacy, as it's been brought up by Mike and Adria in various interviews since Tom's passing. In the Facebook live video before The Best of Everything's release, Adria didn't mention Wildflowers in particular, but she did say she wanted to give both An American Treasure and The Best of Everything time to breathe before new material was going to be released. In the last hour, Annakim posted on Instagram that "We don't sell out," which may be a message to Dana. Given that this TMZ article frames Dana -- and not Adria and/or Annakim -- as the person who wants access to the Wildflowers material for a twenty-fifth anniversary edition, it seems that she wants the music within a certain time frame; it doesn't necessarily imply that anyone is opposed to the eventual release of the material. So, in addition to potentially figuring out who (individually) should execute Tom's wishes and run his estate, it seems that the timing of releases -- when as opposed to what stuff is going to be released -- is a central issue for all party's involved.

And they've been saying for 20 years how they want to release an album on their Fillmore stand and still have not done so. You can't believe this band for anything when it comes to releasing new unreleased gems, deep cuts and or live music. That is literally this bands greatest sin. They released only 1 live album with a few live DVDs and VHSs that should've been also put out as LPs and other shows that should've been put out as well. Pack Up though charming at times is a bastardization of them live and though the Live Anthology  offers a great scope of them as a band over 35 years, there never was a true release of them as a band at their peak and that's a fucking crime.

Honestly if they are really arguing from the limited knowledge of the band put benmont  in charge of all  he really seems to be the one who acknowledges faults and all and would make good decisions it it's about money i don't care and Tom would be disappointed honestly the best of everything was unnecessary and sell out CD i side with who ever opposed that

15 minutes ago, billy the kid said:

Honestly if they are really arguing from the limited knowledge of the band put benmont  in charge of all  he really seems to be the one who acknowledges faults and all and would make good decisions it it's about money i don't care and Tom would be disappointed honestly the best of everything was unnecessary and sell out CD i side with who ever opposed that

MCA only agreed to license their material to Warner for American Treasure, if Warner would then reciprocate and allow MCA to do a career-spanning best of, hence “The Best of Everything”.

56 minutes ago, bonddm said:

MCA only agreed to license their material to Warner for American Treasure, if Warner would then reciprocate and allow MCA to do a career-spanning best of, hence “The Best of Everything”.

Thank you for sharing that. Is there a source for this? I have always wondered how "The Best of Everything" got out. I think that's the one that Tom would have been displeased of, especially given his oppositions to the Greatest Hits album in 1993.

So your reasoning about MCA/Warner makes a lot of sense.

Oh behave! If there is anything to this, beyond sensationalist reporting, that's just plain pathetic. However, not being able to tell exactly who's who and what's what here.. I mean who, supposedly, is selfish, who is unreliable and who is a drug addict (yeah, right) and most of all who is surrounded by all of the above.. it's quite hard to say anything conclusive about nothing. Cept it being a sad drama, totally unworthy. What does it even mean?Are we still looking at a Crystal River here, or a puddle of muck…? Or rather, was An American Treasure a foreshadow of Something Good Coming or was it all just Too Good To Be True..?  Personally, I would lie if I said I am not worried by this sad display. Disappointed. 

9 hours ago, mikemono said:

So, in addition to potentially figuring out who (individually) should execute Tom's wishes and run his estate, it seems that the timing of releases -- when as opposed to what stuff is going to be released -- is a central issue for all party's involved.

Well put. Still, the type of language used, the actions taken - unless, again, this is TMZ click hunting scandal constructing - all seem to suggest a somewhat deep trench across all of this, wouldn't you say, a wider sense of divergency, a rot of sorts, implied by the name calling and tone in all this. I hope in my heart it's all just another case of lower league journalism, but somehow.. this particular dog seems to do some yelping of it's own..

I'm really heartbroken to hear about the strife between Dana and Tom's daughters.  In the video from the club house Adria said how "leave Virginia alone' was her favorite song by her Dad.  By all accounts Dana has seemed like an upstanding loving partner that has honored his legacy.  I think this is the article I saw last night on my phone but its not as detailed and it mentioned a counter-suit and specifics about the lawsuit surrounding this mess.  This is nearly as sad as losing Tom in the first place.  The article made the point that the delays on the Best of everything was due to Adria making changes repeatedly at great cost etc which likely explains the changing timelines of that release.  I would really rather give up that collection and have seen a proper release of All The Rest which was clearly one of Toms biggest passion projects.  

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/legal-and-management/8505405/tom-petty-widow-daughters-estate-legal-battle

EDIT 

This was the link that I saw last night. I hate FB and how it closes things on the phone without leaving a bookmark etc. 

https://theblast.com/tom-petty-widow-daughters-music-trust/

It's too early to pass judgement on anyone, since all the facts aren't in, and I don't know Dana or Adria personally anyway. But it's sad no matter what that it came to this. My gut is that Adria's heart is in the right place in trying to preserve and prevent any cheapening of Tom's legacy with obviously rushed, value-less cash grabs. But it might be that she's being a little too conservative here, because there are a LOT of high-quality projects in the vaults (starting first with Wildflowers) that deserve to be released, and that fans are clamoring for. I personally don't see much of a reason to wait for "timing." If it's good, get it out there.