Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Those Heartbreakers get around - collaborations & session work

Okay, sure, so they're all sensational musicians & over the years have contributed to other people's recording sessions.

Are there too many to count?

I knew about this first appearance (from 3:20) but was completely surprised while watching the second music video (from 2:10 onwards).

I can not tell you how stunned I am to have learned that Mike Campbell plays slide guitar on the Wallflowers Sixth Avenue Heartache, 😳 I've loved that song since its release and would rank it fairly highly as a song overall.   Looks like Mike joined Jacob  back in 08 onstage at the Troubadour.

I read that George Harrison called Mike after he heard the song and said jokingly  something to the effect of "so you are doing me on slide guitar now I see" 😎

Oh and while I'm at it.. (or a loong week later..) This is dynamite. At least in parts. This is ROCK history, people.. Bob on fire. TPATH as well. It's also fairly new photage to surface, as far as I know. At least I don't think I've seen it previously. Dynamite, I tell you.. What's it called? "Howie's birthday bash"? ("He's gonna choose the key himself.. since it's his birthday..") or.. "Smoke em if you got em"? Either way, it's some priceless stuff I tell you. I never get tired of watching this kinda stuff. Or like Bob says.. "I should've been to bed hours ago!"

Or like he also says.. "Sometimes rich people get all the front seats.. and they don't care what they see..." 

Chris Hillman

Listening to interview with Chris Hillman on podcast called Songcraft: Spotlight On Songwriters. At 60 minutes in, they talk about recording an old song of his he'd never recorded. He says "That's the Heartbreakers playing... and it was fun." 

https://www.songcraftshow.com/chris_hillman

The other day while I was listening some Tracy Chapman's old cd's I realized that Mike played in Tracy's third album (Matters of the Heart). It's not my favourite album by Tracy. Do you remember "Bang, bang, bang"?... Mike played electric guitar in this one... A forgettable work I guess... Well he plays in several songs, but Mike's guitar is lost under the annoying and prominent sound of the keyboard of Roy Bittan...

Well, Mike adds a nice mandolin in Woman's Work. 

I know Don Henley can be divisive and is often considered an arrogant jerk. However two of my favorite albums are the End of The Innocence and Building the Perfect beast are peppered with Heartbreakers....  Lots of Mike, Ben, Stan and some others I cant think of off the top of my head... We all know the slide guitar for Boys of Summer is Mikes beatiful playing. 

The End of the Innocence (album)

Mike Campbell – additional guitar (4), guitar (10), keyboards (10)

Stan Lynch – percussion (4, 9, 10), drums (8, 10), bass (8), guitar (8)

Production

• Producers – Don Henley (Tracks 1-10); Stan Lynch (Tracks 4 & 8); Mike Campbell (Track 10).

Building the Perfect Beast

Mike Campbell – synthesizer (1), guitar (1), percussion (1)

• Benmont Tench – keyboards (2, 5), acoustic piano (8), synthesizer (9), synthesizer arrangement (9)