Sign in to follow this  
Michael Niebuhr

Greatest Hits Vol. 2

This past year I've been getting deep into the later albums. I've often thought about what to put on a Greatest Hits Vol. 2.

What would you put on it?

The only rule is 18 tracks released after the original Greatest Hits. Choose from the albums from Wildflowers to Hypnotic Eye. Include Mudcrutch and soundtrack work as you like.

Really lookin' forward to seeing some replies and putting together some playlists. My own list is still in the works (added every song from 1994 onwards in a playlist and I'm slowly removing tracks till I get to 18).

6 hours ago, Michael Niebuhr said:

My own list is still in the works (added every song from 1994 onwards in a playlist and I'm slowly removing tracks till I get to 18).

Sweet challenge. 🎼 very appropriate for this week's super-full-moon

Q: So how many album songs do you have gathered at the starters' gate? 

Q that I see you have already A (answered)... "How about covers from live shows?"  Okay, not them. Fair enough. 

Q: What kinda criteria are you using? Are the greatest songs for you the ones that you personally love most? (Seems sensible)

I'll try and answer as best I can. Overall I think the Greatest Hits Vol. 2 should be a great companion piece to Vol 1. Since Vol. 1 is mostly singles, I'm hoping a lot of singles will make it. Those are obvious go-tos. Other than the live-LPs I wouldn't personally go lookin' for live recordings or live covers. I'm not lookin' at Mudcrutch either, but I could see 1 song make it towards the end of the record/playlist.

She's The One has some great covers, so that could be a way to get one or two covers on the record.

I'm gonna start right off by saying I like the idea of this, I really do. ❤️ Questions are only to tighten up any blurred edges before I get started. That's okay with you? 

okay... so am I right in thinking that you're open to including songs from albums:

• Wildflowers
  • She's The One
  • Echo
  • Last DJ
  • Highway Companion
  • Mudcrutch 1
  • Mojo
  • Hypnotic Eye
  • Mudcrutch 2

Q but not necessarily all songs off retrospective albums like:

• Playback
  • Anthology: Through The Years
  • Live Anthology
  • Would it be easiest if only allow songs from those retrospective albums if they were actually performed after 1994? For example,"Melinda" on Live Anthology. 

Q how about TP songs originally written before 1994 but only first released on an album after 1994? Like "Keep A Little Soul"? 

Q or as a twist on that... What about really great post-1994 versions of earlier Tom Petty songs? Like the later "Handle With Care" at Concert For George rather than earlier "Handle With Care" from Wilburys' album? 

• my brain's about to collapse,  but I think maybe that's all the groundwork questions. For now ^_^

Q: what about Tom's collaborations with other people (performing his own material or to covering someone else's). For example that amazing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Prince & others? If allow that one (and I think it's a contender) then maybe also songs from other proper commemorative albums (but not live moments in concerts only available via bootleg):

• Go a Cat Go (Carl Perkins)
  • Cash's "Unchained" album
  • Concert For George
  • I'm Walking (Fats Domino)
  • JJ Cale album 3-ish songs with Eric Clapton
  • & i think there's a Hank Williams tribute too maybe?

It's great to see some enthusiasm for the idea! I love it.

I would include the albums you mention as candidates, though I'm not familiar enough with the Mudcrutch stuff (a sin, I know, especially given the name of this forum).

To the anthologies I would include Kiss My Amps and Kiss My Amps Vol. 2.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a good example of a track that deserves special attention.

I put together this list this morning, which is very basic and predictable. Essentially what I think a label would've come up with.

It goes like this:

1. You Don't Know How It Feels

2. You Wreck Me

3. The Last DJ

4. Walls (Circus)

5. Free Girl Now

6. Swingin'

7. When A Kid Goes Bad

8. Have Love, Will Travel

9. Saving Grace

10. Candy

11. Down South

12. Good Enough

13. Damaged By Love

14. Full Grown Boy

15. Power Drunk

16. Somewhere Under Heaven

17. I Got A Woman (Live)

18. Crawling Back To You

Running time is 75 mins. 

I guess there's plenty of album tracks here to switch with Mudcrutch stuff. It would be great to include a track from 1 and 2, and While My Guitar Would Be Nice as well. But what 3 tracks would we lose?

Well, all of the ones you've selected are worthy contendors.

Just like you, I've thought & discussed similar ideas about this, on & off. One idea is - gasp - to retire all songs in "Wildflowers" album from consideration.  

Why? Because many people love "Wildflowers" as a whole album, it's maybe better to hear those songs in that context, rather than in isolation. Also, because each Wildflower song is so fine, it's almos a case of "okay, all of Wildflowers and some other songs..." Haha. Risk it can tend to dominate any long-list of possible songs! B) Which is unfair, as many songs from other albums are also contenders for any short-list, especially one as short as 18 songs. 

The problem with Greatest Hits 2 is there aren't enough in my opinion, what  I consdier consider songs that the crowd at a gig would recognize! Greatest Hits is perfect as it is but I went ahead and played along for the fun of it. These are the songs I think a record company would select to fashion GH2, not necessarily the ones I would pick to share with people.

YDKHIF----Bit hit single, and going chronologically would lead off.

You Wreck Me---Enough of a hit that people seemed to recognize it in concert so I'd throw it on there. 

Honey Bee---Dave Grohl Version from Saturday Night Live. This would have to plastered on the cover. HONEY BEE with DAVE GROHL of FOO FIGHTERS! Maybe a big sticker and used in the promotion. They could even run the interview bit with Grohl when he mentions how Tom asked him to join the band etc. This is now three songs from WF but YDKHIF has to be on there as it was in my opinion, their last HUGE hit. Walls was popular but nowhere near YDKHIF.

Walls (Circus)---Their last big hit single in my opinion. 

Angel Dream----I figure this would be a record concession to Tom since he presumably liked the song a lot, performed it somewhat frequently and maybe the record company thinks a short sincere ballad would become popular. I guess the question is, #2 or #4. I was initially leaning towards the one without percussion, just Tom and a guitar, I don't know. Either way, I think this song could fit and maybe would be popular if played on radio or online, especially the version with the drumbeat, almost sounds countryish.

Room At The Top----They tried promoting this at the time, so it's a single even though I don't think it ever took off. But it qualifies as an attempt. I'd almost cut this because of how dour the opening seems and could be a bit much going from Angel Dream into this. Maybe I'd swap this and Free Girl Now's positions for a better flow.

Free Girl Now----the first free single online or something, so a lot of people heard this. Again, it wasn't a hit per my view but on it goes. Also, maybe they'd figure that people who downloaded it might recall it and like to one degree or another.

The Last DJ----wasn't this in a Simpsons episode? Did they try promoting it on Saturday Night Live at the time? I think so. On it goes.

Saving Grace----They performed it quite a bit in 2006 & 2008, it's upbeat. Throw it on there.

ISHKI----They made a live or "live" in the studio video of this, trying to support this so this belongs here.

You Get Me High---wasn't this its own short lived single? Or an attempt at one. Anyway, I think it's a solid positive number to end the collection on. Though another possibility would be Forgotten Man since the band did keep that one going in concerts.

Anyway, there's my thoughts on it. 

cheers

8 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Why? Because many people love "Wildflowers" as a whole album, it's maybe better to hear those songs in that context, rather than in isolation.

I appreciate the logic but I figure there's no way they'd release a GH2 without having You Don't Know How It Feels on there. That song was huge! And if you're going to have one WF song, then why not a couple if they fit?

cheers

For people interested in this thread, I'd like to suggest the previous threads, on this forum, dedicated to the issue of a GH sequel. I don't particularly like the idea of a GH2 at this point.. Or any point.. what's the point, so to speak.

That said... it's a little fun, theoretically..

54 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Anyway, there's my thoughts on it. 

I think those are good, focused, realistic thoughts if such an album was ever really to be constructed for a market. It's not my type of release, admittedly, but for what it is. Messing the thing up with live records, Mudcrutch or TV appearances is not what would end up in my "Good ideas!" folder.

Additional tracks to MJ2LD list would be:

- Scratch Honey Bee & Free Girl Now

- Swinging(single)

- Dreamville (seems key)

- Flirting With Time (single)

- Down South (seems key)

- Good Enough (seems key)

- Forgotten Man ("single")

- American Dream Plan B ("single")

- Mystery Of Love (bonus)

- Two Men Talking (studio/bonus)

That is..

YDKHIF

YWM

Walls

AD

Swingin'

R@TT

TLDJ

Dreamville

FWT

SG

DS

ISHKI

GE

FM

UGMH

ADPB

MOL

TMT

If it's "Hits" one definition = big impact songs that resonated / singles that were popular.

tricky in contemporary era ... drawing on physical units, downloads, data from YouTube  & how often played on streaming services.

So in that sense, logically, a song on YouTube with 68 million hits is a contender. Even if hahaha it's 68 Prince fans watching it a million times each.

• While My Guitar Gently Weeps. 

{I'm here for fun & cheerful discussion about Tom Petty music.}

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

For people interested in this thread, I'd like to suggest the previous threads, on this forum,

Yes, there's quite a number of attempts at this one might enjoy reading too!

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

- Swinging(single

Ah, I forgot that was a single, I guess I'd add it to my list after Free Girl Now though I think it really pushes the patience of the casual Tom Petty fan for all the reasons some people like it; meandering groove jams are not what Tom's music is largely or popularly associated with. 

cheers

Further on what songs have large numbers of views on YouTube (& therefore could be considered popular "hits"), this is what I've found so far from the official videos put up by tompetty.com Coincidentally it's 17 songs 😀💘

• Most views
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 68 million 
  • Learning To Fly 50 million
  • You Don't Know How It Feels 33 million
  • Between 5 million and 1 million
  • Wildflowers
  • It's Good To Be King
  • I Should've Known It
  • Swingin'
  • Room At The Top
  • Something Good Coming
  • You Wreck Me
  • American Girl - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 
  • Saving Grace
  • Crawling Back To You
  • Scare Easy - Mudcrutch
  • Wrong Thing To Do
  • Southern Accents - live @ Gainseville ie from the documentary
  • Honey Bee

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 68 million 
  • Learning To Fly 50 million
  • You Don't Know How It Feels 33 million
  • Between 5 million and 1 million

That is a huge drop-off.

Makes sense WMGGW would have the most since it's a Beatles song/tribute and Prince on stage with 'em.

Hmmm whereas once I remove Wildflowers album something weird happens to the YouTube list... 

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George Harrison cover) - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 
  2. I Should've Known It - Mojo 
  3. Swingin' - Echo 
  4. Room At The Top - Echo
  5. Something Good Coming - Mojo
  6. Super Bowl (American Girl, Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down & Runnin' Down A Dream)
  7. Saving Grace - Highway Companion
  8. American Girl - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 
  9. Scare Easy - Mudcrutch
  10. Wrong Thing To Do - Mudcrutch
  11. Southern Accents - live @ Gainesville ie from the documentary 
  12. Walls - She's The One 
  13. Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover) - combining Live Anthology & live @ Gainesville 
  14. jefferson Jericho Blues - Mojo
  15. Lover Of The Bayou (Byrds cover) - Mudcrutch
  16. Keep A Little Soul - released on American Treasure 
  17. I Forgive It All - Mudcrutch 2
  18. I Won't Back Down - Tribute For Heroes (9/11)
  19. Friend of The Devil (Grateful Dead cover) - Live Anthology
  20. I've inserted a gap here
  21. I Need You (George Harrison cover) - Concert For George
  22. You And Me (Clubhouse) - Last DJ
  23. Angel Dream - She's The One (combining a couple of tracks)
  24. U Get Me High - Hypnotic Eye
  25. Gainesville - American Treasure
  26. Don't Pull Me Over - Hypnotic Eye
  27. I'm Walkin' (Fats Domino cover) - I'm Walkin' album
  28. Lost Highway (Hank Williams cover) - from the documentary
  29. Green Onions (Booker T & the MGs cover) - Live Anthology
  30. Mystic Eyes (cover) - Live Anthology
  31. Waiting For Tonight - released on Anthology: Through The Years
  32. Handle Me With Care (Traveling Wilburys) - Concert For George

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

editing the list to just have album songs:

1. I Should've Known It - Mojo 
  2. Swingin' - Echo 
  3. Room At The Top - Echo
  4. Something Good Coming - Mojo
  5. Saving Grace - Highway Companion
  6. Scare Easy - Mudcrutch
  7. Wrong Thing To Do - Mudcrutch
  8. Walls - She's The One 
  9. jefferson Jericho Blues - Mojo
  10. Keep A Little Soul - released on American Treasure 
  11. I Forgive It All - Mudcrutch 2
  12. You And Me (Clubhouse) - Last DJ
  13. Girl On LSD - b side  single from Wildflowers album
  14. Angel Dream - She's The One (combining a couple of tracks)
  15. U Get Me High - Hypnotic Eye
  16. Gainesville - American Treasure
  17. Don't Pull Me Over - Hypnotic Eye
  18. Waiting For Tonight - released on Anthology: Through The Years

Editing that list to include everything other than album songs

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George Harrison cover) - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 
  2. Super Bowl (American Girl, Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down & Runnin' Down A Dream)
  3. American Girl - live @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 
  4. Southern Accents - live @ Gainesville ie from the documentary 
  5. Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover) - combining Live Anthology & live @ Gainesville
  6. Lover Of The Bayou (Byrds cover) - Mudcrutch
  7. I Won't Back Down - Tribute For Heroes (9/11)
  8. Friend of The Devil (Grateful Dead cover) - Live Anthology
  9. I Need You (George Harrison cover) - Concert For George
  10. I'm Walkin' (Fats Domino cover) - I'm Walkin' album
  11. Lost Highway (Hank Williams cover) - from the documentary
  12. Green Onions (Booker T & the MGs cover) - Live Anthology
  13. Mystic Eyes (cover) - Live Anthology
  14. Handle Me With Care (Traveling Wilburys) - - Concert For George

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Editing that list to include everything other than album songs

The thing is some of the youtube views are the same people watching clips over and over again. That's fine if three million people watch Swingin' or whatever online but that doesn't necessarily translate to a big reaction in concert, nor does it make the song a hit. Which sounds odd. At a certain point TPATH's music ceased being considered contemporary and became classic rock, I think. Probably sometime after WF, I'd say maybe after Walls. Tom's songwriting changed and the big promotion wasn't there the way it had been in the past, as well as there being new music and different styles that became popular. So maybe it was inevitable at some point the songs wouldn't be as popular as the earlier material.

My impression is anytime Tom went off the beaten path in concert, some of the audience, a minority went with him and the others waited/hoped for the next song and a big hit they recognized. 

If someone picked up Greatest Hits they'd recognize all if not most of the songs; I don't think that would be the case with GH2 no matter how many attempted hit singles the record company tried to have. That's why I think Dave Grohl....DAVE GROHL of FOO FIGHTERS would be a big selling point, same goes for WITH PRINCE! First time released! Those two songs could help propel GH2 in sales, then it's up to the listener, they'd either respond to the tracks or not but there's no way GH2 would ever top or surpass the original, in my opinion.

Still, interesting to read what people come up with .

cheers

Updated list:

YDKHIF----Bit hit single, and going chronologically would lead off.

You Wreck Me---Enough of a hit that people seemed to recognize it in concert so I'd throw it on there. 

Honey Bee---Dave Grohl Version from Saturday Night Live. This would have to plastered on the cover. HONEY BEE with DAVE GROHL of FOO FIGHTERS! Maybe a big sticker and used in the promotion. They could even run the interview bit with Grohl when he mentions how Tom asked him to join the band etc. This is now three songs from WF but YDKHIF has to be on there as it was in my opinion, their last HUGE hit. Walls was popular but nowhere near YDKHIF.

Walls (Circus)---Their last big hit single in my opinion. 

Angel Dream----I figure this would be a record concession to Tom since he presumably liked the song a lot, performed it somewhat frequently and maybe the record company thinks a short sincere ballad would become popular. I guess the question is, #2 or #4. I was initially leaning towards the one without percussion, just Tom and a guitar, I don't know. Either way, I think this song could fit and maybe would be popular if played on radio or online, especially the version with the drumbeat, almost sounds countryish.

Room At The Top----They tried promoting this at the time, so it's a single even though I don't think it ever took off. But it qualifies as an attempt. I'd almost cut this because of how dour the opening seems and could be a bit much going from Angel Dream into this. Maybe I'd swap this and Free Girl Now's positions for a better flow.

Free Girl Now----the first free single online or something, so a lot of people heard this. Again, it wasn't a hit per my view but on it goes. Also, maybe they'd figure that people who downloaded it might recall it and like to one degree or another.

Swingin'---since it was a single

The Last DJ----wasn't this in a Simpsons episode? Did they try promoting it on Saturday Night Live at the time? I think so. On it goes.

Saving Grace----They performed it quite a bit in 2006 & 2008, it's upbeat. Throw it on there.

ISHKI----They made a live or "live" in the studio video of this, trying to support this so this belongs here.

American Dream Plan B---since it was a single, also makes for a more rockin' experience toward the record's latter half

You Get Me High---wasn't this its own short lived single? Or an attempt at one. Anyway, I think it's a solid positive number to end the collection on. Though another possibility would be Forgotten Man since the band did keep that one going in concerts.

While My Guitar----Since the original ends with a cover why not do the same here; big selling point is Prince and the first time this moment was officially released, assuming all the legal rights to something like this could be worked out.

14 songs, I think it has a pretty good flow to it, epsecially keeping Room at the Top and Swingin' apart which to me feel too similar to have next to each other, good to ahve the shorter FGN in between.

cheers

There should be NO Greatest Hits Vol. 2. Tom and the band can no longer make that LP together anymore on their own. Vol 2 is now in your mind only and everyone's mind and Vol 2 will be different. "Let It Be". Buy all the LP's and enjoy all the great songs.

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

There should be NO Greatest Hits Vol. 2. Tom and the band can no longer make that LP together anymore on their own. Vol 2 is now in your mind only and everyone's mind and Vol 2 will be different. "Let It Be". Buy all the LP's and enjoy all the great songs.

Well yes, I do agree that this isn't real & it's all in my mind. It's a fun thought experiment / a flight of fancy / part of long tradition of creating mix tapes. :D

20 hours ago, nurktwin said:

But inevitably this will be released.  I was stunned when they released a vol 2 greatest hits for Stevie Ray Vaughan and yet  it continues to sell.  All the Best really is like a vol 1 and 2 but at some point they will be releasing a vol 2.  Its just how the industry is now sadly.  😢   

I've made peace with them Releasing All the Best and the words from Adria ring true that this was for the casual fans and was something her Dad wanted to do., I purchased the two tracks I didn't own from iTunes and enjoy them, but don't see me purchasing the hard copy.  There is also the Anthology where they released Surrender years ago, I bought a copy of that song and again have no plans to buy the CD. I consider myself an obsessive fan and am now considering getting an 8-track copy of DTT 'just to have it' as I now have a cassette, multiple CD copies and the LP so for ~10 bucks shipped why not get the 8 track? :lol:   

But sure as night will follow day volume 2 will happen anyway.... 

On 23 March 2019 at 4:25 AM, Michael Niebuhr said:

What would you put on it?

The only rule is 18 tracks released after the original Greatest Hits. Choose from the albums from Wildflowers to Hypnotic Eye. Include Mudcrutch and soundtrack work as you like.

:P Well, I went into this thinking it'd be relatively complex, Michael Niebuhr, but something I could do. Only to find it's actually really hard! So thanks for nothin! For me personally, it's challenging because there is such a consistent high standard throughout all their releases. Which is one solid reason to, as Nurktwin says, enjoy ALL the great songs. So, to create a playlist, I decided to ruthlessly include ONLY ONE off each major album & none off the mighty Wildflowers.  Whenever there were multiple contenders from an album, I chose a song that has been an ear-worm for me at some stage, ie that I've played on repeat. Even that's approach is tricky - some albums have many songs like that. 

A little bit of overlap with the other listings above, but not much. 

Here are 12 tracks with a playing time of about one hour. In chronological order.

(If any of you don't like my choices, we can fight about it outside. Meet you outside. If I'm not there in 5 mins, start without me. ^_^)

1. Angel Dream - She's The One. This for its unsettling lyrics of someone floating away from reality & being brought back in to safety by a benevolent presence. 
  2. Lonesome Sundown - Echo. There's something powerful about this that I just can't explain. 
  3. Southern Accents - Cash's Unchained. This because of the extraordinary situation of Johnny Cash singing this in his own way while being supported by Petty and the Heartbreakers. That's an example where their love of music was greater than any ego. 
  4. Dreamville - Last DJ. Oh how I love the whole album. But this for TP's ability to hide an autobiographical short story inside a 4 minute song. 
  5. Saving Grace - Highway Companion. Uh, this because the rhythm is driving you forward in an optimistic way, whereas the lyrics are drifting off somewhere else without much hope ("there's a corner of the floor they're telling you is yours").
  6. Crystal River - Mudcrutch 1. I also dig House of Stone. Crystal River is Mudcrutch, not Heartbreakers. Hearing this - almost 10 mins - I could begin to see who they might've become if they'd wanted to be a southern band playing long jams. 
  7. Melinda - Live Anthology - This (and Driving Down To Georgia and Mystic Eyes & Oh Well) as an example of their ability to take a live audience with them. Which is no easy feat, when you think of the sudden surge for the beer queue that forms at concerts when other, lesser, bands play tracks they haven't released on their albums but just keep for live shows. 
  8. No Reason To Cry - Mojo. This album was also hard to choose from, but this song has been an ear-worm for me. 
  9. Full Grown Boy - Hypnotic Eye. I'm not absolutely sure whether the character is a stalker ("like a cat creeps through the grass") but even so, this is beautiful. "There's laughter on the hillside / from voices far away."
  10. Dreams Of Flying - Mudcrutch 2. Oh, this album was almost too hard to choose from: Trailer; Beautiful Blue; Save Your Water; Victim of Circumstance (Campbell); & Welcome To Hell (Tench). But again, I chose this track because I sometimes to listen to it on a repeat loop. It's also used as background music during the start of an episode in the series "Roadies". Plus the bear cubs on the cover are one of my favourite album covers. 
  11. Bus To Tampa Bay - American Treasure. Oh woah, I loved this the moment I heard it. Some say its chord structure is related to Orphan Of The Storm, which is fine by me, as that's another song that is just able to sneak into my brain & stay there. Instant classics, for me. Though apparently the hired hands are apparently standing beneath the shade, not beneath the shed. Hahaha. Love the accent. Either works (the shed could have a shady verandah).
  12. For Real - Best Of Everything. No words.  What a treasure from the vaults.