Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Mike Campbell Answers 21 Questions

A bit late to the party here, but thanks for discovering this and posting it! (And to Nurk for reposting it elsewhere.)

About Good Enough as MC's favorite guitar tone: Is it just me, or is there a kinship to Gary Moore in that tone..? Speaking as a not really guitar expert kinda guy here..

About Fender, Hendrix, Stairway: Very classic, obvious choices! Right on!

About "bridges": Is it just me or isn't that one of the most stellar little aspects of TPATH music?* I think Tom was the ultimate genius bridge maker, so to speak. 

---

* Is it just me or is it every time that I write "is it just me", it seems that it is indeed just me..? It's like the perfect way to kill a discussion. Or is it just me?   

That was very cool.  Regarding Mike's favorite tone.  I guess he pretty much had to pick the guitar that costs over a quarter million dollars or Marcie would have his head on a spike.  LOL   But yeah, I think "Good Enough" is pretty clearly a nod to Jimmy Page.  There's a bit of the solo that really evokes Page during his solo in "Since I've Been Loving You" off Zeppelin III.  I didn't miss it, and I'm positive it was intentional.

5 hours ago, TomFest said:

There's a bit of the solo that really evokes Page during his solo in "Since I've Been Loving You" off Zeppelin III.  I didn't miss it, and I'm positive it was intentional.

I think I know what you're talking about and it probably was intentional. Shelter's noted the Zep influence in the past as well, though Good Enough could be the major nod to that band. 

:D when this was re-posted, Two Gunslingers said

22 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Boy, does he ever get older????

I don't know what to think of this hat... but I guess when you're the coolest guitar player on the planet you can get away with a lot. Clotheswise.

which helped me realize I'm maybe not the only one to think "Michael Wayne Campbell, what are you wearing?  It's a bit weird - steampunk fighter pilot in a zeppelin in the rain - in a good way!!"

3 theories about Mike's Hat (so far).  

If it has a brim.  

1. It has a turned-up brim -->  shaped like a sou-wester that a fisherman / sailor might wear in a storm. In dark felt rather than in neon yellow vinyl.  Because, style, obviously.  While steam punk often rely on motif of top-hats & goggles, Heartbreakers already covered that ground in early 1980s. So that'd be too easy as it's, very literally, old hat for Mike. 

image.png.50057e03bcb20388ec5325f033d1999e.png image.png.cc9e5dc8158fb8b8ce3735bb75fe5475.png 

If it has no brim

1. It's inspired by tall wool hats (bonnet rouge) that French revolutionaries wore (that were based on ancient caps from Mediterranean coast) .  Anyway, main thing is - these  symbolize freedom.  Awesome!
  2. It's inspired by vintage toques & is actually very restrained & minimalist by comparison with other toques out there.

image.png.ed9fa68c716f7eb0a008b0defbbf6add.pngimage.png.ba3b93af03d44023ccfb2d10eb442cc5.png

:lol: A brilliant, historically thorough analysis!

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

which helped me realize I'm maybe not the only one to think "Michael Wayne Campbell, what are you wearing?  It's a bit weird - steampunk fighter pilot in a zeppelin in the rain

Yeah... it's not only the hat, obviously, the whole outfit seems a bit... derailed. But I think you found a category for it. :lol:

What's with the scarf, I think I missed it first time around?!? Was too destracted by the hat, probably.

And the vest or jacket he's wearing underneath the leather jacket... oh, well. Whatever.

I'm glad he can wear whatever he likes, no matter how strange it may seem, because he's just such a badass guitarist, songwriter, and cool guy. I sure cut him more than just some slack.

:lol: Q at 3:30 & then his A at 3:35 

Holy smokes - I hear you on missing the blue silk scarf. I only noticed the layer under his pilot's jacket when you mentioned it.  Some kind of  down puffer layer?  The man is badass, as you say, AND practical.  Down is warm.  Definitely good for staying warm despite cold winds in the wicker basket under one's zeppelin.

At risk of going on about his outfit, I thought he grew some new long thin dreads, only to realize the dangling cords are part of that hat.  We salute you, Mr Campbell.  Wear whatever you want. Pilot zeppelins, fly dragons, it's all good. :wub: 

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

it's all good.

Sure is. Besides, just think what hanging out with Stevie for a year on the road would do to your once humbled desire to walk on the wild side... I think Mike's various takes on the Fleetwood Max dresscode is beyond stylish. Very killer all in all. I love it. I am already in line at the local taylor, to have some of those new suits and jackets of his (as seen in the bathroom jams) made for me. 

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

Sure is. Besides, just think what hanging out with Stevie for a year on the road would do to your once humbled desire to walk on the wild side...

:lol::lol::lol:

Same with her, though... with that voice and her songwriting abilities, she can wear whatever the hell she feels like.

6 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

applying for a job as Led Zep's new guitar player.

Aside from a bit of Zeppelin and some of Bob Dylan (vocally in my opinion in the early days) and some Beatles in Can't Stop the Sun, the way I hear it, there isn't that much noticeable influence in TPATH's music. Or it's just from music I'm not familiar with

• Regarding question at 3:00 about Michael J Fox / Johnny B Goode / Back To The Future, here's a tiny extract from interview in LA Times from August 1986. 💘 (I googled both names & this appeared!) ...they both met movie stars, partied & mingled...

Ask most young movie stars who their heroes are and they'll rattle off a list of names that begin with Robert De Niro and end with Harry Dean Stanton. Ask Michael J. Fox about his idols and he'll give you a totally different roster--Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Richie Blackmore, (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers guitarist) Mike Campbell--rock guitar wizards all.

pixel.gif"I dunno, I've met great actors, but there's no real mystery there to me," Fox said, sitting up in his room late one night, an acoustic guitar in his lap. "But I've always had this fascination with guitar heroes."

He grinned. "I remember I had Mike Campbell over at my house one night, at 3 a.m., playing 'Louisiana Rain' on my guitar. I called up one of my friends in Canada, put the phone up to the guitar for a while and shouted, 'Guess who's playing MY GUITAR!' "

4 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

He grinned. "I remember I had Mike Campbell over at my house one night, at 3 a.m., playing 'Louisiana Rain' on my guitar. I called up one of my friends in Canada, put the phone up to the guitar for a while and shouted, 'Guess who's playing MY GUITAR!' "

Ha ha, what a story! Thanks, never heard that one before.

cheers