Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

Lyrics mentioning Tom Petty (song by Kip Moore)

A buddy pointed me towards this.

• Written by Jon Mabe, Kip Moore & Charlie Worsham
  • Performed by Kip Moore and his band on their 2018 album Room To Spare: The Acoustic Sessions

"It Ain't California"

verse 1

The world's standin' still on the 405 / The vampires hang out on Mulholland Drive /

Heartbreaker smiles everywhere you turn / Some learn to fly, some crash and burn

Chorus
Yeah, the sun still shines all the time and the sky's still blue
And the stars shine bright every night like they used to
Oh, but it ain't California, no it ain't California
No, it ain't California without you

Verse 2
American girls with those golden tans / Runnin' down their dreams buried in the sand / 

Still bettin' it all on that Hollywood sign / Hell even the losers get lucky sometimes

Chorus

Verse 3

Since you been gone the music keeps on goin' / Would've followed you to the great wide open / 

Me and Mary Jane, yeah we shed some tears / We're both free fallin' without you here

Chorus

Outro
(The stars shine bright every night, just like they used to)
It ain't California, no it ain't California
(The stars shine bright every night, just like they used to)
It ain't California, no it ain't California

I hate to reply to an old thread, but this caught my eye and I just had to jump in and say something.

I listened to this song right after it came out. I can't say I'm a huge fan (but maybe that's mostly because they got the location of the vampires wrong. It's Ventura, not Mulholland!). I've never been a Kip Moore fan; just can't really stand his voice or the typical subject matter of his songs (no offense meant here!), but one of the other writers, Charlie Worsham, is one of my absolute favorite artists. I had no idea he was a big Petty fan (but it certainly seems that just about every modern country artist is), so I was pleased to see him listed as a writer on this. I know Tom didn't care much for modern country (so I don't imagine he'd care much for this song), but I personally think Charlie is better than most modern country artists, that is, his songs have a little more substance (for the most part!). I wonder if Tom had been familiar with his music what he would have thought...

Anyway, thanks for reading this little rant 😂

Well, how perfect... anything you hate about the song, you can blame Kip Moore. Anything you like about it, that's because of Charlie Worsham's musical influence & taste. 😀 I see there's a YouTube clip of them playing a acoustic version of this, in concert in Milwaukee. 

American songwriting.com has this to say about their collaboration.

One of the EP’s standout tracks is “It Ain’t California,” a warm slice of sparkling heartland rock co-written with Worsham and Jon Mabe. Moore wrote the song years back, and he and Worsham updated the tune in the studio.

“I’ve always been super attached to that particular chorus melody, but never truly felt a connection to the verses,” Moore says of the song. “Charlie heard me singing it in the studio and was immediately drawn to it, asking me what that was. I told him I wasn’t in love with the verses and was always in search of changing them to match the intensity and vulnerability of the chorus. We then began discussing our sadness over Tom Petty passing, which trailed into classic songs in general. Before you knew it, we were re-writing the song with a little bit of those concepts in mind, with the backbone being that it will never be the same without Petty.”

The way he talks about missing Tom makes me almost feel a little bad for disliking him! 

I think the song at least means well, which is nice. I heard one the other day by an artist named Alyssa Trahan that was called "Petty," and it's filled with random references to song titles of his. The chorus said something to the effect of "you ain't Tom, so don't be petty." It's supposed to be about not being petty and seeking revenge on a past lover who did you wrong, but because it's also trying so hard to be a giant Tom Petty reference, I think it comes across as very cheesy, but that's just me! 🤷‍♀️

(also I get that his name literally has the word "petty" in it, but do you have to imply that he himself was petty? 😂)

Petty song by Trahan? Hah! Yeah, that's messed up song-writing. Cheesy, you say? I'm describing it as a triple deluxe cheese pizza with an extra topping of cheese. Maybe they started with good intentions, then lost their way. 

Reminds me of seeing a trailer for a film - a rom-com about relationships within a band, I think. Equally contradictory message. I didn't watch whole film, so could be wrong. Anyway. The film's title is "I Hate Tom Petty." Gasp, shock, who would say such a terrible thing? Yet main character enthuses: "I want to be Tom Petty. He sings, he writes, he produces. He's had commercial success and no compromise."

eyeroll. 

Oh, also, FYI, I listened to some of your Charlie Worsham's performances, just on YouTube.^_^ 🎸 He's easy to like! Interesting songwriting too, depth to his lyrics in the few I heard. There he is, playing TPATH covers, including a 2017 tribute "2 Gunslingers" &. also "American Girl" from, what, 8 years ago? And there he is, discussing music with Marty Stuart at Grand Ole Ophry. So you could maybe see that as nice link with calibre of country musicians the Heartbreakers admired & worked with?  All pulling on rope as same team of tug-of-war between good music & rubbish music. Also, as you know, TP = passionate about encouraging & supporting new musicians (like says in Musicares speech). So, both of those are positive, even if remains mystery about whether TP ever heard CW's music & whether he'd have liked it. 

On 31 May 2019 at 8:37 AM, under-them-skies-of-blue said:

...one of the other writers, Charlie Worsham, is one of my absolute favorite artists. I had no idea he was a big Petty fan (but it certainly seems that just about every modern country artist is), so I was pleased to see him listed as a writer on this. I know Tom didn't care much for modern country (so I don't imagine he'd care much for this song), but I personally think Charlie is better than most modern country artists, that is, his songs have a little more substance (for the most part!). I wonder if Tom had been familiar with his music what he would have thought...