Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Question of the Day: 03/03/19

What are some of your favorite songs to play on guitar? Or any instrument? Piano? Harmonica? Drums? Percussion?

YYZ (none of the solos and just up to the fast B to C chord progression which becomes a jam)

2112 (more or less)

Rockin in the Free World

Corduroy by Pearl Jam

Mary Jane's Last Dance

On guitar - we have probably 1,000 song charts up on dropbox and we pick randomly when the band plays.  I have a tablet with a mic stand mount for it, so we can literally pick anything.  I can name a semi-short list of artists starting with Tom Petty and Neil Young, also the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, and the like - but I couldn't begin to pick a favorite song to play. We tend to favor so-called album tracks over the hits.  I do try to constantly find new things to chart up for the band to try to keep it fresh. The most recent batch included "For Real", along with songs from Creedence, Peter Frampton, Merle Haggard, Rick Nelson, and Gram Parsons.

On ukulele - "The Man Who Loves Women" is my go-to song.  (True)

On harmonica - "Swingin'", and "You Don't Know How It Feels" are 2 favorites.

OK, I'm gonna give a different take on this as a drummer. I love playing drums to a slow to medium paced songs such as Beatle classics "While my guitar gently weeps", "I am the walrus",  "My sweet lord",  "Dear Prudence"  and "Cry baby cry".  The speed of these songs let's the drummer put in simple to complex fills and patterns that make the song great as Ringo did. Sure I like to play fast paced songs, but I don't think you have the time to express yourself as much at those fast speeds, it's just a standard mixture of things you can do fast together. There's more feeling and expression for playing drums at a slightly slower pace. You do more by doing less!!!!!!!!

Ringo is my favorite drummer, for the reasons you've listed.  I love the subtle changes he does. Probably my favorite example of Ringo's drumming is "Ticket To Ride".  The way he changes the entire feel of the song when they go to the bridge. Brilliant.  And I always thought the Heartbreakers could slay "Dear Prudence".  They would absolutely kill that one.

Fun guitar songs, just a couple of many!!!!!

Beatles...........I'll Be Back

Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)...............Give A Little Bit

The Byrds...............It Won't Be Wrong

George...........Here Comes The Sun

For "non-Tom Petty" songs, there are some records I go back to frequently when I just want to jam.  One is the first "Montrose" album.  Every song on there is fun to play along with.  Some good, loud, angry guitar when I'm in the mood.  Also some early Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, and Bad Company stuff that I cut my rock guitar teeth on, and fun to revisit. Joe Walsh, Badfinger, I could go on and this is just electric guitar.   For acoustic guitar there is an entirely different vibe.   l like a lot of Avett Brothers stuff, and other Americana.  My original favorite on acoustic guitar is Jim Croce.  Neil Young of course has a ton of great songs, acoustic and electric.  I guess I haven't actually named any songs, so I'm no help at all.

^      I understand,  I can't begin to list all the songs throughout my life that are fun to go back to. My whole life was and is filled with the greatest songs of all time. OH, and I do love songs from way back in the 20's, 30's and 40's from the old movies and great writers from back then. I'm glad I was born when music was music and then changed into Rock and Roll, It was a time we will never see again! There will never be another Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Stones and Tom Petty again. I'm glad I was part of that "ERA" and saw most of them live in concert. God Bless Rock n Roll.