Sign in to follow this  
tompetty9

Guitars

I always have loved the guitars Tom and Mike played with. I thought it be fun to talk about that, maybe learn something new. The first two I want to start with is Tom's Guild and Gibson J200.

I believe the Guild is a D25. Anyone know the year? The earliest I can find this guitar show up is around 1990 and he used it in 2017 on the 40th anniversary tour. Anyone know more about this guitar? image.jpeg.3f18f7e245fc6700ad8094dc95aa8506.jpeg 

The Gibson J200 -  anyone know the year or more about it? Seems to show up in 1996 and last used during 30th anniversary in 2006. Anyone see it after 2006?

Image result for tom petty  gibson j 200

3 hours ago, tompetty9 said:

The Gibson J200 -  anyone know the year or more about it? Seems to show up in 1996 and last used during 30th anniversary in 2006. Anyone see it after 2006?

Petty mentions it in a 1983 interview (though it says J2000, which is likely a typo). If you don't mind waiting for a while, I'll check my local files/notes after I've moved to my new system.

I couldn't say exactly on those 2 guitars, but there was a write up some 10 years ago about the guitars, amps, and pedals Tom had out on tour with him at the time.  Tom had multiple examples of both the Guild D25-12 and the Gibson J-200.   Here's a picture and what the article said.......

===========================

(Left to Right in the photo)

70s Guild D25-12 12-string, stock ’05 Gibson J-200, ’05 Gibson J-200 Tom Petty Wildflower model, ’87 Gibson Everly Brothers model (Tom also has a duplicate Everly model on tour, though not pictured), and another ’70s Guild D25-12. All of the acoustics are fitted with prototype L.R. Baggs stereo pickups (that were installed by Mr. Baggs himself.) Continuing on, the electrics are: ’66 sonic blue (refin) Fender Telecaster, ’60 blonde Fender Telecaster, ’64 fireglo (cherry sunburst) Electro (made by Rickenbacker) model ES-17 single pickup solidbody, ’80s fireglo Rickenbacker 620/12 solidbody 12-string, ’67 Gretsch Tennessean 6119.

===========================

There was also a "Vintage Guitar" story in 2006 that shows Tom with a sunburst J-200, and I remember a magazine cover from the early 80's - Creem, I think - that showed Tom holding the sunburst J-200.  It appears he acquired a number of them over the years.

There are a couple of people that stop in here from time to time that probably have more details.

tompettyguitarsleft-web.jpg

Here are a couple of Tom's guitars, amps and pedals.

Guitars/Instruments:

tom2.jpg

Amplifiers:

Effects:

Tom-Petty_article_story_main.jpg
  • Ampeg Tube DI
  • Avalon U5 preamp
  • Boss CE-2 Chorus
  • Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay
  • Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb Guitar Effects Pedal
  • Demeter Amplification Tremulator
  • Fender '57 Mini Twin Amp
  • Furman PM-Pro Series II Power Conditioner
  • Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
  • Lexicon MPX 500 reverb processor
  • Maestro Phase Shifter
  • Peterson StroboRack Tuner
  • Peterson VS-R StroboRack Virtual Strobe Tuner
  • Real McCoy Custom Wah
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ Power Supply
  • Way Huge Electronics Red Llama

Accesories:

• Prototype L.R. Baggs Stereo pickups (on all of his acoustic guitars)

On 3/2/2019 at 8:13 PM, nobodyinparticular said:

Petty mentions it in a 1983 interview (though it says J2000, which is likely a typo). If you don't mind waiting for a while, I'll check my local files/notes after I've moved to my new system.

Okay, now I've gotten things back up. From the August 1986 edition of Guitar Player:

Do you still play much acoustic guitar?
All day long. For 10 years or more, that's what I play all the time. My favorite is a Gibson J-200. Most of my songs were written on my Gibson Dove and the J-200.

How do you amplify acoustic guitars?
I haven't found a good way yet. Last tour, I had one of Bob's Yamaha acoustic/electrics. We used the same model; they look like little J-200s. Those sounded pretty good. We're still looking around. I'm trying to get the J-200 amplified for this tour. Neil Young had a great rig on his Gibson, the best one I ever heard. It's hard to mike them in those big places, like football fields. It's just ridiculous. In the studio, I've come up with a method that works real well. I have a tendency to back away from the mike and be all over the place, so I just clip a little contact mike into the hole. Then we put a microphone right around where the neck joins the body, and we just do a split off the two.