Sign in to follow this  
dylanfree

Mike on "Room At The Top"

Mike's solo is so freaking sublimely beautiful. I have been playing guitar for 35 years and I truly have no idea where and how his chops come from.

I love his playing, 

My fave guitar players (no order):

Mike C

Peter Green

Zappa

Chuck Berry

Let me know....Mike

Top Of The world. His solo is freaking amazeballs

Sure is.. The man is an "at the top" Genius! Got it.

And.. somewhere among the stalls and boxes of this barn, or in the wide open pastures we roam, you may find more stuff about favorite axe men in general and.. obviously.. about MC in particular.

11 hours ago, dylanfree said:

Mike's solo is so freaking sublimely beautiful. I have been playing guitar for 35 years and I truly have no idea where and how his chops come from.

I love his playing, 

Yeah, I'm amazed at players and their fluidity on the guitar. Some of my favorite players in no particular order: Joe Satriani, Hendrix, Mike Campbell, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) Lyle Workman, Joey Santiago, Rich Gilbert, Page, Stone Gossard, there's probably more I can't think of right now.

As for solos, I think his Runnin Down A Dream is my favorite. I think most of his work stands out because of the succinct melodies he'd play through a song, memorable guitar patterns perfectly timed, though I like when he went longer like at the end of One More Day, One More Night from Echo or the strange work in It Ain't Nothing To Me.

Lately I was excited to see him let loose with the Dirty Knobs on some jammy songs or when they covered Petty.

His live work from the 99 Echo tour, the live instrumental showcase for him and the band is really good. My recommendation:

https://livepetty.com/1999-07-10-mansfield-pa-sbd/

On 2 March 2019 at 5:06 PM, dylanfree said:

Top Of The world. His solo is freaking amazeballs

Agree! Listening to "Room At The Top" as part of new release albums. Mike's solo is indeed, as you say, freaking amazeballs.

Confession: I'm not massively keen on "Echo" (the album), so don't tend to listen to it much. Plus, with Eddie Vedder using "Room At The Top" as a tribute grieving song, I was beginning to think of it as a sad piece of music. Wrong again! It's marvellous, but also a bit of complicated artistry (what did he just do?) ... so I'm understating it to simply say marvellous. 

Just now, Big Blue Sky said:

I was beginning to think of it as a sad piece of music.

I wasn't keen on it till a couple years ago. I think it's saved by the band kicking the song into another gear, had it stayed as it begun the whole way through I'd have hated it.

1 minute ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Confession: I'm not massively keen on "Echo" (the album), 

Me neither but some 'Farmers love it. Here's an interesting discussion yea and nay for the record for your perusal:

I'm sad for anyone that can't appreciate the genius that is the "Echo" album.  15 pieces of greatness.  I think Ben is with me here. I've heard him say he wanted to do a tour where they played the entire "Echo" album.  Right there with you, Ben.  

On March 4, 2019 at 10:45 AM, TomFest said:

I think Ben is with me here. I've heard him say he wanted to do a tour where they played the entire "Echo" album

That would've been interesting and actually, I think this may have only happened if they had done another residency.

Sure a tour would be great but this would be beyond anything the band ever did before save the Last Dj show and that was the new record at the time.

Factor in the heavy emotions associated with the record's context it actually seems incredibly unlikely. That they even performed Swingin' on their last tour was impressive and different.

But yeah, an Echo tour or show would've been fun to listen to if for no other reason than...you know it's coming...the break-up of the typical TPATH set list. Perhaps All The Rest and a Wildflowers tour would've been the dam bursting so to speak on album tours and all sorts of things would've been considered but there's no point in going down that road now.