Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

"Best Of Everything" album released

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I find it incredibly jarring hearing certain tracks with additional choruses.  'Last Dance' off the vinyl greatest hits like a slap each time I hear the "round and round" bit, and Don't Fade on Me was perfect as released the first time-  the new version is jarring.  The Best of Everything isn't as harsh on my ears but it will take a lot of time for me to really enjoy it.  I love acoustic versions of songs but trying to put these new verse versions in rotation on my iPod, I think Tom put it best with Don't do me like that.... 

I can relate to that, although I enjoy the new verse in The Best of Everything. But all in all, it's the kind of revisionism that doesn't sit well with the longtime fan - and whether it is justified is highly debatable.

16 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Maybe but wouldn't that also be a factor for BOE and AAT?

AAT definitely, BOE not as much, because it is the standard procedure for record companies after an artist's passing. In my mind, it was a package deal: You can have BOE, but only if we get to do AAT. Something like that. But now they came out on two different labels AND Ryan Ulyate says Tom wanted to do a compilation like BOE very badly so my theory is a little shaky.

Still: Wildflowers was not a Born To Run, not a breakthrough album or an iconic album like Full Moon Fever (to most people, Tom is Mr. Free Fallin', not Mr. You Don't Know How It Feels). So I can see how a record company could have second thoughts about a project like All The Rest, saleswise.

21 hours ago, RedfordCowboy said:

A few scenarios we sort of already know:

1. He thought All The Rest was more a less a new album (good enough to be one)

2. He didn't see it as a leftovers project, or wanted it to be easily dismissed or overlooked (because of it's perceived greatness)

3. Present the original double album concept? (if they could locate the running order)

4. He was afraid of it? Conflicted or tortured over wanted to do it justice??

I'm speculating: In addition to all those possible reasons (points 2 and 3 seem especially valid) Tom was maybe looking for a way of presenting All The Rest that was different from what Springsteen did with Born To Run, Darkness on The Edge of Town and The River. I'm sure he didn't want to come across like some imitator of the Springsteen archive release strategy.

So I could see how this could have become rather tricky: Finding a new and original way of releasing an old album plus outtakes and do the whole project justice. After all, Wildflowers obviously held a very special place in Tom's heart and played a crucial role in how he perceived himself as a songwriter in his later years. In some regards it marks the end for the "old" (or younger) Petty and the birth of the "new" (or older) Petty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Still: Wildflowers was not a Born To Run, not a breakthrough album or an iconic album like Full Moon Fever (to most people, Tom is Mr. Free Fallin', not Mr. You Don't Know How It Feels).

Hmm, I don't know about that. My impression was WF was a huge album for people. It tops a lot of best of Petty album rankings I've seen online. People really really LOVE YDKHIF. I think Wildflowers (the song) always got a huge audience response as well. I think it's a younger generation's Damn the Torpedoes when it comes to TPATH.

https://music.avclub.com/with-wildflowers-tom-petty-took-brilliant-advantage-of-1798272759

Though not on the album Girl on LSD was another huge hit at the time, too. My perception is there's DTT, FMF and WF for people who want the album experience and Greatest Hits for the obvious reasons. I could even see younger fans owning Greatest Hits and WF and being content with that since the former contains the big singles.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Finding a new and original way of releasing an old album plus outtakes and do the whole project justice. After all, Wildflowers obviously held a very special place in Tom's heart and played a crucial role in how he perceived himself as a songwriter in his later years. In some regards it marks the end for the "old" (or younger) Petty and the birth of the "new" (or older) Petty.

 I think the 25th Anniversary offers a strong selling point for All The Rest. I agree with Hoodoo Man about new additions being jarring, lyrically or a beloved album with new tracks sandwiched in. That's why I think it makes the most sense for ATR to be a companion disc, so if you don't like the new songs they're not mixed in with the old ones. If you're used to You Wreck Me  leading into  It's Good To Be King, you don't want Tenchtyme mixed in there.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Though not on the album Girl on LSD was another huge hit at the time, too.

Umm.....huh?  "Girl on LSD" could never have been a huge hit.  I doubt it's ever been played on the radio.  Unless Tom played it on his show?  That is a song that is meant for the live show so people could cheer for their favorite drugs.  I fully expect it to be on the eventual Wildflowers release, but it's a joke song that once you've heard it, you never need to hear it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TomFest said:

I doubt it's ever been played on the radio.  Unless Tom played it on his show?  That is a song that is meant for the live show so people could cheer for their favorite drugs.

 

I heard it all the time on the radio back then,  I think some of the lyrics were bleeped out; maybe it depends on one's location. But even without radio play, it was a big hit as the B-side to YDKHIF and played in concert too. I think whatever young fans didn't get into Petty with FMF were swept up by WF. 

 

29 minutes ago, TomFest said:

but it's a joke song that once you've heard it, you never need to hear it again.

I never needed to hear it once! 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I heard it all the time on the radio back then,  I think some of the lyrics were bleeped out; maybe it depends on one's location.

I don't recall any of the lyrics bleeped out the one time I heard it.

Before I realized that the censored songs were provided by the record label, I thought the guy who censored the songs at the radio station suffered from mood swings. The f-bomb was near-universally censored, but it seemed to be 50/50 on "shit" and once in a while mostly-innocuous words like "ass" would get censored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Wiki

Quote

 Wildflowers is the second solo studio album by American musician Tom Petty, released on November 1, 1994. The album was the first released by Petty after signing a contract with Warner Bros. Records (where he had recorded as part of the Traveling Wilburys) and the first of three albums produced by Rick Rubin. The album was certified 3x platinum in the United States by the Recording Industry Association of America.

also from Wiki Born In the USA sold 30 million copies by 2012. 😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also... if Whitesnake can release a 6CD+DVD box (!!) to commemorate 35 years of bloody Slide It In.. well.... 

If I hadn't long since rested my case, now would've been a good time. Thank you.

(Must say, though, as for the Girl on LSD skit.... I'm with Tomfest. Really, common. It's possibly slightly more of a hit than was I'm Stupid and Titanic.. It was played on the radio according to late night witnesses? Ok. That was probably because it was put on record, so, unlike those others, it could be played by a naughty, mischievous dog hour DJ. (Gutsy!) Fun song, sure. And a cool move to put novelties like that on single bsides for value to collector fans, certainly! But hit?! Really? I would be very surprised if that song was ever even considered filler material on the complete Wildflowers figuration.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 15, 2019 at 6:10 PM, Shelter said:

Must say, though, as for the Girl on LSD skit.... I'm with Tomfest. Really, common. It's possibly slightly more of a hit than was I'm Stupid and Titanic.. It was played on the radio according to late night witnesses? Ok.

Slightly? It garnered huge crowd responses at the time. I'd say more in the audience would've recognized it on the last tour than Swingin' or Good Enough.

On March 15, 2019 at 6:10 PM, Shelter said:

if Whitesnake can release a 6CD+DVD box (!!)

Whoa. I forgot that band existed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Slightly? It garnered huge crowd responses at the time. I'd say more in the audience would've recognized it on the last tour than Swingin' or Good Enough.

Right. So we are talking live. Any beer drinking crowd would cheer for anything the slightest on the "wild" side. Humor is a good crowd pleaser. Sex works too. Or celebrities. Namedropping a long line of common (well?) drugs in a kinda witty way certainly should be a barn burner by most calculations. Especially from a band that usually stayed straight and R&R while on stage. Obviously then, very entertaining!

But I did not realize we were talking live reaction (rather than "hit" as in general familiarity, sales or radio play frequency etc for the song.) I thought it was the status of the studio version that was up for debate. My bad.

But if we are to talk live reaction as the hit definition, I'd say Titanic went over pretty well. People were bending over laughing. And it was even broadcasted. Smash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shelter said:

So we are talking live. Any beer drinking crowd would cheer for anything the slightest on the "wild" side. Humor is a good crowd pleaser. Sex works too. Or celebrities. Namedropping a long line of common (well?) drugs in a kinda witty way certainly should be a barn burner by most calculations. Especially from a band that usually stayed straight and R&R while on stage. Obviously then, very entertaining!

But I did not realize we were talking live reaction (rather than "hit" as in general familiarity, sales or radio play frequency etc for the song.) I thought it was the status of the studio version that was up for debate. My bad.

I'm talking both:

1) Around WF era 1995 Girl On Lsd was on the radio, maybe it wasn't everywhere in the country it's fine, I'm not trying to convince anyone if they didn't hear it or it wasn't where they were etc. I'm just explaining my experience.

2) It was recognized in concert. Sure, some people probably were just responding to drugs reference-cool-funny-ha-ha-toke it up-drink it up, but others knew the song. It was beyond "namedropping." Which leads me to believe, that it was probably for its time more popular than other attempts at singles, Room at the Top, Swingin' Good Enough etc.

I think if it they'd pulled it out on their last tour it would've been recognized since it was huge at the time.

As for the quality of the song, I think it's awful, I'd rather hear them play Gloria than that.

cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I'd say Titanic went over pretty well. People were bending over laughing. And it was even broadcasted. Smash.

I think if they'd played this no one would know what the hell it was unless Tom prefaced it with some context. I think they could've launched into Girl on LSD and gotten a response from the first strum of the guitar or whenever it becomes recognizable.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think they could've launched into Girl on LSD and gotten a response from the first strum of the guitar or whenever it becomes recognizable.

Because they played it some in their show? (Chicken or egg?)

Because it was b-side off a fairly successful single (off a very album type album at that)?

These things are not known to me. I can see, if course, how it was very appreciated, for reasons mentioned. A fun gem to please crowds in the hehehe segment. Successful, I bet! 

But either way, to me it's still first and foremost a novelty track, a gimmick, rather than a hit record (or even a seriously imaginable album track). I suppose most people on this side of the pond, especially the none-inner TP crowd general public, but TP fans too, would not even know this song exist. Which, again, according to my limited world view is a strange quality for a "hit". 

But I can accept a flat earth theory and move on. I'm not impossible. So.. please, on with whatever this thread was about. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 5:05 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Hmm, I don't know about that. My impression was WF was a huge album for people. It tops a lot of best of Petty album rankings I've seen online. People really really LOVE YDKHIF. I think Wildflowers (the song) always got a huge audience response as well. I think it's a younger generation's Damn the Torpedoes when it comes to TPATH.

Maybe true for myself and probably most Petty fans of my generation. I was 15 when WF came out.

Still, I always felt that FMF was even more popular, even back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...is fine to see other people in my community showing such good taste... creates a sense of shared appreciation for these guys & their music.  At my city's main music shop (new & vintage, vinyl & CD) they show a top 10 list of what's selling. "Best Of Everything" is rock-steady on #2 spot ever since its release. (Who's on #1 comes & goes, different releases, influenced by in-store signings.)

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

they show a top 10 list of what's selling. "Best Of Everything" is rock-steady on #2 spot ever since its release. (Who's on #1 comes & goes, different releases, influenced by in-store signings.)

Just imagine how much more they could've sold with Moon Pie on there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Still, I always felt that FMF was even more popular, even back then.

I think both were a huge boost for Tom's music. Maybe some hardcore fans were put off with FMF as it sounds different to their 70s vibe while WF garnered fans who were interested in an album they could mellow out to, space out too, even smoke pot too believe it or not! Another way of looking at it could be FMF is an up record, a happy album with a lot of energy to it; while WF is more introspective, a sad album that one can luxuriate in. I think WF was the last album that connected with a mainstream audience, like I've said it keeps turning up on best of TPATH album lists. If a lot of the songs left off the record were on a par with She's The One, then I think it could've been a very successful double album, though the more laid back feel would've been diminished to some degree. 

And I think it's that laid back feeling that people connect with, aside from You Wreck Me and A Higher Place, most of the songs are a lot slower tempo conducive to relaxing with a substance of choice. A side note, I don't think it was intentional but Have Love Will Travel feels like an attempt to recreate the success of YDKHIF. 

I think WF pulled in a lot of stoner fans who maybe wouldn't have gone for the more uptempo FMF. I think a lot of people connect more to the more introspective songs as well and enjoy a record that largely sustains a certain mood the way WF does. 

Another side note, or end note: I wonder if Stan played on You Wreck Me at the viper room before leaving/being fired. 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think both were a huge boost for Tom's music. Maybe some hardcore fans were put off with FMF as it sounds different to their 70s vibe while WF garnered fans who were interested in an album they could mellow out to, space out too, even smoke pot too believe it or not! Another way of looking at it could be FMF is an up record, a happy album with a lot of energy to it; while WF is more introspective, a sad album that one can luxuriate in. I think WF was the last album that connected with a mainstream audience, like I've said it keeps turning up on best of TPATH album lists. If a lot of the songs left off the record were on a par with She's The One, then I think it could've been a very successful double album, though the more laid back feel would've been diminished to some degree. 

And I think it's that laid back feeling that people connect with, aside from You Wreck Me and A Higher Place, most of the songs are a lot slower tempo conducive to relaxing with a substance of choice. A side note, I don't think it was intentional but Have Love Will Travel feels like an attempt to recreate the success of YDKHIF. 

I think WF pulled in a lot of stoner fans who maybe wouldn't have gone for the more uptempo FMF. I think a lot of people connect more to the more introspective songs as well and enjoy a record that largely sustains a certain mood the way WF does. 

Another side note, or end note: I wonder if Stan played on You Wreck Me at the viper room before leaving/being fired. 

cheers

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the Wildflowers album. No need to sell me on it. ;) It opened doors for me I didn't even know were there. I just never felt it was as popular as FMF. You know what? It's probably the Atlantic divide. I guess WF never was as big in Germany as it was in the US.

But for me, gosh, it meant THE WORLD. Musically. And over the years I've always kind of waited for another WF to come out, but it never did. Not from Tom, nor anybody else.

There is only one album as mellow/wistful/rootsy/atmospheric/earthy as this one. Maybe Neil Young's Harvest comes close, but that's darker and not as strong song-wise.

Well, maybe every songwriter has their own Wildflowers in them, translated into their own musical language. Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years feels Wildflowerish to me, e.g.

But we all know, there can be only one WF. By TP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...