Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue Sky

"Best Of Everything" album released

Got the CD's yesterday.  Yes, they're wonderful.  I think I'll spring for the hi-res files, just for the new mastering by Ryan Ulyate. It costs double what I just paid for the regular CD, but this is just too good to not hear it in the best possible quality.  

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

Woke up this morning & Spotify's eagerly tugging my arm

21st Century Spotify Blues? ;)

The CDs sound great, no two ways about it. Initially I had second thoughts as to whether I should buy this album or not. There are only two songs on there I don't already have. But in the end I thought, heck, this has nothing to do with rational decisionmaking. It's a Tom Petty album, the first "Greatest Hits" of sorts since THE Greatest Hits... even "Anthology. Through The Years" is almost 20 years old... and I'm a fan, so I'll buy it. I knew I would enjoy it, and I do.

Sequencing is nice, too. I'm glad they didn't choose the easy way of ordering the tracks chronologically. A - if you will - "dramatic" sequencing is always more difficult, more open to discussion and thus a braver thing to do. And more fun to listen to, IMHO.

So, I'm quite pleased with the album. And even though I really do know (no kidding, I'm totally aware) how many hits Petty wrote - it still blew my mind when I heard the first five songs of disc 1 in a row. It's mindblowing, this level of quality. And it doesn't stop there, of course.

But who am I telling this.

On March 4, 2019 at 4:58 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

21st Century Spotify Blues? ;)

Ha ha! 

On March 4, 2019 at 4:58 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

There are only two songs on there I don't already have. But in the end I thought, heck, this has nothing to do with rational decisionmaking. It's a Tom Petty album, the first "Greatest Hits" of sorts since THE Greatest Hits... even "Anthology. Through The Years" is almost 20 years old... and I'm a fan, so I'll buy it.

Ha ha, I guess I'll never understand my fellow Farmers in this regard but I'm glad you enjoy the albums. 

6 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

the limited edition clear vinyl "limited to 1000 copies" is NOW limited to 2000 copies.  Hard to feel its not a cash grab when they do stuff like that. :(

It's in case you ever need to replace a broken window in your home, why waste money on glass when you can use the best of everything? Or maybe it is a cash grab I don't know. 

cheers

On March 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM, TomFest said:

I think I'll spring for the hi-res files, just for the new mastering by Ryan Ulyate. It costs double what I just paid for the regular CD, but this is just too good to not hear it in the best possible quality. 

Same as above with TwoGunslingers; I don't get it but if it makes you happy, glad you're enjoying it.

cheers

24 minutes ago, TomFest said:

At this point I imagine I'll buy everything they put out for the rest of my life.  It's OK if you don't get it.

Wow!

Of course it's okay, but it's still interesting, it goes across all different types of fans, be it music, film, books whatever. There's no answer I don't think other than some facet of the human condition and the way we can latch onto things. I've typed many a repitive screed on Tom's set lists. Still, it's different when it comes to actually re-purchasing something one owns; certainly good for the record company's bottom line.

However, what I see as just a general observation/discussion could be misconstrued as personal criticism and how people spend their money is their business not mine,  so I'll stop here. 

cheers

1. Everything Two Gunslingers wrote is how I feel too. 
  2. If you don't want to buy it yourself, fair enough.  You could maybe use your own copies of the songs to create a set list / mixtape. How would that be? Except for the Ryan mastering magic, which is amazing.
  3. Is there something unusual happening during the ending of Walls on Best Of Everything? Or is it something as simple as I'm just getting the two versions of Walls mixed up? 

23 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Everything Two Gunslingers wrote is how I feel too. 

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I am in the minority on this issue. 

24 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

You could maybe use your own copies of the songs to create a set list / mixtape. How would that be? Except for the Ryan mastering magic, which is amazing.

When TwoGunslingers talked about the first five songs I went to check them out and then looked at the whole list and considered it for a moment but that's all right. I think I largely enjoy hearing the songs on their respective records or live shows. I guess the first Greatest Hits is an exception to that but mainly a place to get all the hits at once if/when I'm in the mood or playing some TPATH for others.

cheers

Oh but surely, being in a minority might matter in a major way if you were, say, an insecure teenager supporting a teen band.

You love a bunch of badass musicians 🎩 who started practicing & playing loud & rebellious rock and roll :D in the mid 1960s. So, when it comes to your thoughts about them, maybe it's less about "being in a minority" and more about the defiant joy of "having your own opinions".  (Okay, yes, enough with the motivational speeches. But you know what I mean, right? There are plenty of sheep in the world.) 

3 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh but surely, being in a minority might matter in a major way if you were,

There was no emotional connotation to it; I just realized that maybe most people on here are the types to purchase these things over and over again in nifty looking new format$.  I appreciate the attempt at motivation but I'm the champion of It Ain't Nothing To Me and even Benmont Tench slagged that song. He's wrong though.

Of course maybe there's a silent majority agreeing with me but well...remaining quiet. Tiptoeing. Shhhhhh.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

wow, the limited edition clear vinyl "limited to 1000 copies" is NOW limited to 2000 copies.  Hard to feel its not a cash grab when they do stuff like that. :( 

I complained to them about this very thing and got this response:

Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for your patience. I understand you're wondering if the website claims there are 1,000 units made, why your copy is over 1,000. I was able to find out that the record label releasing the Best of Everything decided to increase the limited quantity to 2000 units total. I hope this helps!

If you'd like to return your order for a refund, please follow the instructions below  

Please use the return label that came with your shipment. If you do not receive it or cannot locate it, please return your items to:

WEA Corporation c/o Cinram
Attn: Returns Door #1
437 New Sanford Rd.
La Vergne, TN 37086

When returning the item, please be sure to include the following information: your name, email address, phone number, what you are returning and why.

We recommend that the items be returned to us using a mail service which provides tracking or insurance. Keep your receipt until the credit appears on your credit card statement.

Sincerely,

Oh that's pathetic. What a response to send you, Earl Thomas. 

42 minutes ago, Earl Thomas said:

Thanks for your patience. I understand you're wondering if the website claims there are 1,000 units made, why your copy is over 1,000. I was able to find out that the record label releasing the Best of Everything decided to increase the limited quantity to 2000 units total. I hope this helps!

This might be an appropriate response if this is the first time anyone's noticed & the minion at the record warehouse has helpfully searched for this one-off answer for this one-off question. 

This is a issue involving  2000 units being sold via tompetty.com & 2000 fans directly involved & many more looking on. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:37 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I am in the minority on this issue. 

Nothing wrong about that.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh but surely, being in a minority might matter in a major way if you were, say, an insecure teenager supporting a teen band.

You love a bunch of badass musicians 🎩 who started practicing & playing loud & rebellious rock and roll :D in the mid 1960s. So, when it comes to your thoughts about them, maybe it's less about "being in a minority" and more about the defiant joy of "having your own opinions".

Exactly.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Same as above with TwoGunslingers; I don't get it but if it makes you happy, glad you're enjoying it.

I guess we all have our own ways of being fans of, as in being "fanatic" about, TPHB. :D

10 hours ago, Ben said:

When was "For Real" recorded?

Hi Ben, there's a recent thread about For Real where people were asking just this question. We found this answer & discovered images of the studio & that there are llamas (or alpacas) next door - though whether that was case back then is anyone's guess. Hope this helps you!

"On Benmont Tench's Twitter. Just to focus, I won't copy in whoever on Twitter asked questions etc. Shall just say Q (for question), okay? Obviously, pop over to Twitter & explore further if you're  interested beyond the snippets quoted below.❤️🎹🎹🎹

16 Feb

Q:"For Real" is beautiful. Is it from The Last DJ sessions?

Benmont: No, we went to Mendocino in 2000, I think, to cut a version of "Surrender" for "Anthology: Through the Years. It was done the same day. 

Q: Thank you. It has a great sound. "