Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Guy fights his cell phone addiction article

36 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I have an old cell phone that's a flip phone and haven't turned on for 7 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as it's not an CDMA phone (those are getting phased out), as long as it can reach a cell tower it can be used to call 911. Might be worth keeping it charged.

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

I don't have a problem with cell phones or video games. I have an old cell phone that's a flip phone and haven't turned on for 7 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're waaaaay out of the group of people who are cell phone addicts; though there could be people in your age range who are addicted, but it's definitely something that affects younger generations.

1 hour ago, nobodyinparticular said:

as long as it can reach a cell tower it can be used to call 911. Might be worth keeping it charged.

Not a bad suggestion really.

3 hours ago, TomFest said:

really everyone does......

Most people yeah. It's terrible. People crossing the street, driving, sitting at a red light, in line pretty much anywhere; it's crazy. Movie theatres, concerts, I wonder if people can handle being alone with their thoughts or being bored. I'm glad I grew up without 'em.

When I pass most bad/erractic drivers I see them on their phones. Awful.

8 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

You're waaaaay out of the group of people who are cell phone addicts; though there could be people in your age range who are addicted, but it's definitely something that affects younger generations.

Nah, it's people of all ages. Something like a third of baby boomers play mobile games every day.

Just now, nobodyinparticular said:

Nah, it's people of all ages. Something like a third of baby boomers play mobile games every day.

That's really bad. Guy at the phone shop last year was surprised I refused to upgrade to a smart phone.

"It costs the same as what you pay now and etc. etc. etc."

"No thanks."

They're so damn long too and fragile.

5 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I wouldn't consider it bad, but it's annoying to see how much mobile has saturated things.

No, no, it's bad. When people text and drive and I'm sorry to say I've seen a fair number, it's bad. Driving a several ton hunk of metal and rubber while staring down at a phone is well...it's actually worse than bad. When people can't ignore it for the duration of a movie, or for a phone conversation, it's bad. When toddlers have devices to keep them occupied instead of interacting with the world it's bad. When former executives publicly discuss the dangers, it's bad. Sure, of course, there are benefits to the technology, but people unable to drive/focus on real life around them/do other things/have a normal healthy attention span, is all bad.

10 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

No, no, it's bad. When people text and drive and I'm sorry to say I've seen a fair number, it's bad. Driving a several ton hunk of metal and rubber while staring down at a phone is well...it's actually worse than bad.

Yeah, that is bad, but is it down to the technology? Before cell phones, chances are those people would be applying makeup, or fiddling with the radio, or something else. 

On March 1, 2019 at 11:12 AM, nobodyinparticular said:

Yeah, that is bad, but is it down to the technology? Before cell phones, chances are those people would be applying makeup, or fiddling with the radio, or something else. 

It's a mix of the convenience of the technology and human behavior but I think there are things built into apps/phones etc. that make them more addictive, the way tobacco manufacturers made cigarettes more addictive over the years.

True, people, well, women would put make up on in the car. A seriously stupid thing to do. But it wasn't all or even most women, it was a much smaller amount and just because a woman was late to work or an appointment doesn't mean she was always late, or always doing make up in her car; it was an exception. 

People looking away from the road, even for a moment can be dangerous of course, and people fiddling with their radios could cause accidents, but again, I think most people either found a station to listen to (or tape or cd) and that was the end of the distraction.

The way people text (and I'm assuming it's largely texting) is virtually nonstop. Let's say a woman is foolishly putting on make up while driving or eyeliner or whatever...at some point assuming she doesn't crash, she's done. She stops. But texting doesn't. I was at a coffee shop parking lot sipping a nice dark roast (not Maxwell House) and observing cars driving by and most people were either driving and looking down at their phones or looking down as soon as the light turned red. 

Neither of these are finite actions, sure people can and will eventually stop texting someone but it can go on for a long while.

Bringing it back to your examples not every woman puts on make up while driving and some people never fiddle with their radios. And over time, cars have become so advanced people can adjust their radio from their seteering wheel without having to look away from the road, or they can use a scan option to explore different stations again without having to fiddle with it and look away.

So the nature of the technology and how people use it is far more demanding and stimulating than putting on make up or fiddling with the radio or most of the other distractions people had while driving.

Returning to your first question, like I said, I think the tech is advanced to not just be user-friendly but to encourage the interaction with the bright friendly graphics, emojis and ease of use. Most places I go, people are on their phones, it now stands out when I don't see someone or even a group of people with their phones out. I recall reading a past study saying how televisions catch peoples' attention in a room, that if one is on, people naturally are drawn to the light and sound and I think it's the same with the phone but worse because they're so easily portable, all that fun interaction demanding a response; heck it's why some people are excited about losing autonomy to self-driving cars, so they can be on their devices more. But that's a whole other topic.

Is there good elements to cell phones? I think so sure, but why people feel the urge to look down and try to use their thumbs to tap out messages while driving is something I don't understand, other than the irrational addiction; a mix of technology designed to be addicting, being so easy to use and people becoming addicted to using them the way some people do, be it with tobacco, fast food, gambling, whatever it is, one needs to exercise strict discipline to not fall into any of these patterns and even more discipline to break these bad habits and replace them with good ones.

There's also the social pressure as well, one not wanting to miss out on the latest social circle info be it gossip or plans or jokes, etc. That alone separates the cell phone and texting (while driving) from past examples of make up use and radio adjustment.

It's not easy for people to lessen their use, and it could be if not already is, a big problem.

That's what I think at present.

cheers