Sign in to follow this  
dylanfree

Fave TP Tune?

I am sure this has all been addressed before, but I am always curious!

If hard pressed, what would you say your favorite Tom Petty track is?

I know we could say it changes from day to day - but, what if you had to pick only one.......

Mine would have to be "One More Day, One More Night" off of Echo.

It has the ultimate in TPATH dynamics. The "Hold out...." breakdown bit gives me chills every freaking time. 

Haunting and beautiful at once.

On February 27, 2019 at 6:20 PM, dylanfree said:

I am sure this has all been addressed before, but I am always curious!

If hard pressed, what would you say your favorite Tom Petty track is?

Runnin Down A Dream.

That's it, my #1 Tom Petty song.

While I really enjoy the live version from the 9/13/98 Chapel Hill  5/18/90 Wilmington bootleg, and think it the best live version; Runnin' was never performed with as much energy and lightness as the album version. The riff is relentless, the drumming sharp, the lyrics inspired and it's all brought to a climax by my favorite and I think, Mike's best solo. It builds and builds, it's not just him shredding but creating his own melodic response to that riff, taking an already amazing driving song into faster gear!

cheers

If tied up, tortured & held to ransom... I probably still couldn't chose a favourite.

Maybe Crawling Back To You. The character does feel a longing for the other person & keeps crawling back... and is that a good choice or not? Also why are they waiting by the side of the road & how did they get there? So I'm delighted to see handwritten lyrics / extra verses in American Treasure.

Quintessential... 3 "significant" songs for lyrics for me are these ones.

Insider then Something Big as early moments when that storyteller's imagination was roaming free of the 3 minute pop / rock & roll song. Though... sshhh I want to love Insider more than I actually do. I mean, I appreciate it, but I don't love it. 

Southern Accents as a totally believable song from the heart. It's when (for me) they really started to fly in a different way from before. Actually, not flying by flapping away but flying by soaring effortlessly way above. "The Yankees call us dumb."

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh, I would've put money on you nominating Mary Jane's Last Dance.

Speaking of which, mine isn't "Two Gunslingers", either. :lol: Although it's one of my favorites, definitely.

But THE favorite?

Maybe "Crawling Back To You", but that has already been mentioned.

Maybe "Walls".

But maybe "Two Men Talking" also.

Tricky.

Favourite cover moment: Masters of War at Bob Dylan's 30th. They perform it completely straight down the line & with sombre gravitas (if I may be so bold). Which compared wildly with the pizazz of their then-recent Pack Up The Plantation tour (with fabulous planet suit).

12 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Favourite cover moment: Masters of War at Bob Dylan's 30th. They perform it completely straight down the line & with sombre gravitas (if I may be so bold). Which compared wildly with the pizazz of their then-recent Pack Up The Plantation tour (with fabulous planet suit).

Wait what. You mean Licence to Kill, by any chance? (Masters of War was Vedder and McCready, right?) And about "then-recent"... the BD30 was in 92, after the whole ITGWO journey.. PUTP in 85.. so.. well.. Sorry. I normally wouldn't step all over a post like this, but in all friendliness - since I think I see what you are after - come again, please. ;)

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Oh, I would've put money on you nominating Mary Jane's Last Dance.

33 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Speaking of which, mine isn't "Two Gunslingers", either. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Oh.. and my pick?

The Waiting

Wait a second...wait a second, that's funny, I thought yours would've been Shelter of a Doubt (A Complex Farmer)

8 hours ago, dylanfree said:

I know we could say it changes from day to day

49 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

So, what's the 2nd one?

It could be Mary Jane. Has that great riff, solid groove and interestingly ambiguous lyrics, heartbreaking yet vague.

However, Even The Losers has some of Tom's best lyrics, a mix of romance, regret, sadness, the rooftop lyrics, and this bridge, it's one thing to have a ballad or a slow song to convey heavier feelings but to depict sadness in the middle of a pop rock song like this is something else again:

Two cars parked on the overpass
Rocks hit the water like broken glass
I shoulda known right then it was too good to last
God, it's such a drag when you live in the past

I'm not sure. The #1 is pretty clear to me but the others...hmm...

cheerz