Sign in to follow this  
nobodyinparticular

Question of the Day: 02/27/19

I just use the built-in Windows apps - Media Player, and something called "Groove Music" that I guess came with Windows 10?  Can you tell I don't worry too much about it?  I noticed that Media Player started supporting FLAC a while back, and that's convenient.  I haven't felt like I needed anything more sophisticated, so far.

Groove's a Microsoft product. It used to have a paid streaming service but that shut down a few years back. It's safe, although if you're worried about privacy/telemetry I wouldn't use it. You can get rid of it with a PowerShell command, but it'll probably just come back after an update.

I'm in the process of preparing to move to a Windows 10 system at the moment (and I'm not going to be able to downgrade), so I've been reading up on this stuff.

I'm gonna whip the llama's ass, here (yes, in this thread too) and say Winamp. I haven't used in years, really. And I don't do much digital music anymore (so why do I crash this thread with a post?), and when I do I usually stick to streaming. I do use Mediaplayer at times, of course. But I really miss Winamp. That was the last time listening to stupid files was actually fun. With the right skin put on, you can almost make believe you're collection was on an old classic polished steel monster rig of levers, buttons and gauges. Stylish.

b1647530.jpg

I used Winamp in the past also - and iTunes during the times I've owned an iPhone.  Apple makes you use it - and importing and converting my library just basically doubled the disc usage, which also annoyed me. 

Let us know if you find a clear winner, Amy.  I'm not opposed to dumping Media Player.  It annoys me at times when it imports a CD incorrectly, or can't find the right title and track listing for the damn thing.

When I move to my new system, I'm going to try out MusicBee again. I've tested it before, and it's quite impressive, but my current computer is too aged to run it well.

The CD/tracklisting thing probably comes down to whatever database they're using to fingerprint the CDs. At the moment I use TagScanner for the most of it and even though it has a few different databases available it still sometimes has trouble detecting more obscure albums.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:50 PM, nobodyinparticular said:

When I move to my new system, I'm going to try out MusicBee again. I've tested it before, and it's quite impressive, but my current computer is too aged to run it well.

I've gotten further opportunity to test it. I'm really quite impressed with it; it's got just as much flexibility (if not a bit more) than foobar2000. It also downloads artist pictures!

Spoiler

tqZs5Io.jpg

There's also some other cool features, too, such as autoplaylists.