Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

The Best Guitar Intro Live by Mike Campbell?

4 hours ago, Mudcrutch said:

Still amazing...

Mike's best intro? Maybe. Definitely up there with the one from Take The Highway.

I like the  pure heavy guitar work here. Only complaint is it doesn't go on long enough, just hearing Mike and Stan play like this is fantastic. The inner jamming/bluesman/guitar virtuosos temporarily emerging, letting loose after so many tasteful guitar leads and solos. This concert has my favorite version of Running Down A Dream based on what he does during the outro as well.

Another guitar intor I really love, probably my favorite intro to DCAHNM is from the Echo tour.

This one has been a favorite since I first heard it.

cheers

"Ok, man.. you'll get two minutes!!" :D

Seriously, always loved this approach! It's such a great angle from which to enter this song! Not only an extremely groovy, heavy and well played two minutes, where the song really gets to go some interesting and unusual places, but also a perfect way to introduce this song, adding yet another dimension to a song that is, admittedly, multidimensional-by-design. It's interesting how they sneak in the tiniest hints as to what song it's going to be.. I mean, the drums, on one level gives it away easy enough, still Stan manages to disguise it well enough to make that opening riff, once it arrives, to feel fresh and surprising yet like an expected release, all at once. This is masterful work, IMO! Thanks for reminding me!

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

I mean, the drums, on one level gives it away easy enough, still Stan manages to disguise it well enough to make that opening riff, once it arrives, to feel fresh and surprising yet like an expected release, all at once.

Nice observation.

Yes, this is a good riff and just fun to hear them play. I can imagine if one had never seen the band before and heard them play this, how exciting it could be, how strange, "...is this a new song? A random interlude?" before DCAHNM begins.

Aside from Mojo, HE, All or Nothing and some others, like Come On Down to My House, the band didn't get heavy very often. Or at least, in comparison to the bulk of their material. But here they do and it sounds great. The sound of Mike's guitar is appropriately gritty and powerful, dirty and Stan's drums full of power, the combination making for a unique moment amongst their concert repertoire.

cheers