Sign in to follow this  
TPfan1000

Benmont Shows

Ok. I guess I'll be the only one. ūüė™

Just me and Ben and the Road Ahead. And Alice maybe, providing support from backstage. And the rest of the sold out crowd. And the sound engineer. And the lighting person, please don't forget the lighting matters. And the person bringing the food and drinks to the audience. And the host or hostess. And the person that brought Ben from his hotel he likes to stay at except the place he usually stays at is pretty far uptown so maybe he'll stay downtown so they won't have to travel that far. ūüė鬆And don't forget the people that bring his fancy pants Steinway and tune it. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some more folks and I apologize if I slighted anyone. ¬†The rest of you are not coming though and you'll be missed.

Kudos to Ben for performing during a National Emergency. 

7 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

And the person bringing the food and drinks to the audience. ¬†And the person that brought Ben from his hotel he likes to stay at except the place he usually stays at is pretty far uptown so maybe he'll stay downtown so they won't have to travel that far. ūüė鬆

Ha ha ha! Nicely done.

Thank you. I did enjoy¬†it. I think everyone did except¬†one rude woman¬†who didn‚Äôt like him talking so much between songs and was¬†heckling.¬†ūüė°¬† ¬†He didn‚Äôt play guitar tonight but he did play a slow version of American Girl. And the¬†audience sang along,¬†gently ¬†ūü§ė‚̧ԳŹ

2 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

I think everyone did except¬†one rude woman¬†who didn‚Äôt like him talking so much between songs and was¬†heckling.¬†ūüė°¬†

That's quite rude; Benmont strikes me as the type of guy who'd just say what's on his mind spontaneously, so I think that's an additional bonus to seeing him play.

Night two I thought was even better. I thought Benmont sounded better and I liked the set list more. Plus no hecklers.¬†ūüėé

He did American Girl again as the last song before the encore. This time before the start of American Girl he asked for the already dim lighting to be turned down some and that people not video. That we have it to ourselves. 

Earlier Regina Spektor stepped in to sing a song while Benmont played.¬† I overheard some people that must have heard "spector" and thought she was related to Phil Spector.¬†ūüôĄ

I think she has a very beautiful voice. I'd like to see an entire show with her singing American Standards and Benmont playing piano.¬†ūü§ó

Here's most of it. It's a little shaky at the start but I thought you might enjoy it as is.

It really was an intimate evening, just as promised. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_Spektor

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I was aware of this clip and also that, as I mentioned, he specifically asked us before this one song not to film it. He said words to the effect that he didn’t want it to be a YouTube moment. Why can’t people respect that ?

29 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

I was aware of this clip and also of the fact that, as I mentioned, he specifically asked before this one song not to film it. He said words to the effect that he didn’t want it to be a YouTube moment. Why can’t people respect that ?

From the other forum: 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tom-petty-heartbreakers-2019-thread.799609/page-3

It was mentioned how Benmont gave no prior request to this attempt at the song and so he or she figured it was all right to post; carrying along from there I posted it here as well.

"However, selections from the second night's performance are also available through YouTube and last night, Tench did not request that the smartphones be put away, so I've attached a performance of "American Girl" from the second performance at the bottom of the posting..."

To reiterate, the initial poster who is quite versed in TPATH felt it appropriate to share and based on my reading of his or her previous posts as well as noting Benmont left off the same stipulation, figured it was all right to share. I acknowledge perhaps it was implied Benmont didn't want someone else to record it ever...but at the same time, his request could have just pertained to that second attempt at the song.

EDITED: I think I confused the performances, so people taped the first one and on the second night he requested no one tape it.

cheers

It wasn't implied it was an explicit request -- on both nights.

The first night he started and after a short bit which he had trouble with he stopped and asked if we could not record it and then started again.  The second night just before he started the song he requested the house turn down the lights and that we not record it. 

People were recording other songs both nights.  It was only before the TPATH song each night that he made the explicit request. 

It's also consistent with what he asked me after the 2017 Iridium show when I asked him whether he minded if I posted video from the show and he said post whatever I wanted except for You Can Still Change Your Mind and added just about exactly what he said at Rockwood -- it was just for us (meaning the people there in the room).  The TPATH material is obviously tough for him emotionally and I guess he wants to keep it in the room so to speak. 

I'm just passing on what transpired and what the poster "quite versed in TPATH" said is not what I recollect. I had¬†two beers spread over about 90 minutes on a full stomach and do not believe I was in any manner impaired. ūüėá

Anyway, I think we all just want to enjoy the music and spread it to other fans so that guys intentions are good, I think.ūüėė

17 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

It wasn't implied it was an explicit request -- on both nights.

You could've said that in your earlier post instead of waiting till now. You actually said:

On March 21, 2019 at 2:13 AM, TPfan1000 said:

This time before the start of American Girl he asked for the already dim lighting to be turned down some and that people not video.ÔĽŅ That we have it to ourselves.¬†

When someone says "this time" it implies what follows will be different from the preceding time.

18 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

if I posted video from the show and he said post whatever I wanted except for You Can Still Change Your Mind and added just about exactly what he said at Rockwood -- it was just for us (meaning the people there in the room).  The TPATH material is obviously tough for him emotionally and I guess he wants to keep it in the room so to speak. 

I respect that and you adhering to it. It still leaked out anyway, it's on this site somewhere.

18 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

what the poster "quite versed in TPATH" said is not what I recollect

I wasn't there. I was going by what this other person, who is a pretty die-hard fan and knowledgable on the band said. Certainly I don't expect you to go over there nor to believe me but a cursory investigation would show he's not just some random person who likes the band, but has spent considerable time discussing them in an intelligent, friendly way and could possibly have some insider knowledge of the band's workings.

You're saying now Benmont asked for both nights to not be recorded. Who to believe? I don't know.

Further at this point, does it matter? The video is out there, it exists regardless of what he wanted. I mean, if this is some terrible affront to Benmont by all means I can delete this link and the other topic. But I don't know if it's really worth it to do so.

This isn't the cure for some disease nor some secret government plan, it's a 3 minute tender cover. Is anyone going to care a month from now? A year? Ten years? I doubt it.

59 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

Anyway, I think we all just want to enjoy the music and spread it to other fans so that guys intentions are good, I think.ūüėė

And maybe I'm coming across a bit harsh. Hmm...I guess if I'd known he requested it not be taped I'd have not posted it at all. It is a beautiful performance and it seems a shame others wouldn't be able to see it. Anyway, I respect where you're coming from.

Peace.

I don't think you're being harsh. From reading what you wrote I think I wasn't clear.

I knew on night one that he made the no video request for AG (but I didn't think it relevant to mention in my very brief "review" of night one) and made a poor word choice when discussing night two by using "this time." 

I quickly wrote about both nights. I understand why you interpreted "this time" to imply he didn't make the request on night one whereas the distinction between nights was only that on night one it wasn't until after he started for about 45 seconds and stopped that he made the request and on night two ["this time"] he made the request before he started the song.

The person that posted it can speak for himself.¬† There is no doubt in my mind Benmont requested on both¬†nights that his performance of AG not be recorded.¬† Both of us can't be correct. I'll have to ask him next year when he comes back so we can determine who is the more reliable witness.¬†ūüĎĀÔłŹEye witness accounts are notoriously unreliable.¬†ūüėé

And I'm not the hall monitor. Do what you want.¬†ūüėė¬†

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

This isn't the cure for sÔĽŅome disease

Just hypothetically, if it was, you really would've had to remove it, right! We can't have cures just floating around for the benfit of all, can we? What kinda world would that be? Comon!

15 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Just hypothetically, if it was, you really would've had to remove it, right! We can't have cures just floating around for the benfit of all, can we? What kinda world would that be? Comon!

I don't think it's a matter of what "benfit [sic] of all" is. But I get it. YOU WANT IT SO IT'S COOL. 

And not hypothetically what would I do. I have AG from Night One just until he said stop. Then I stopped.  I like the artist. I like his work. He asks not to record so I stopped.  It wasn't hard to do.  

You're an adult. Make your own choices. I'm done with this topic.

Ouch.. Are you serious? I did not want to be part of the two of yours beef here. Very sorry if that's how it game across. Just thought his bringing medication/cure into this made for an absurd, if funny, dimension. And.. alas.. I tried to bring some sarcasm with regards to that and that only. My mistake if it seemed like I was serious, or that I was quoting you. Jeeze, man.. cheer up.. Sorry for trying to be light hearted in this heavy darkness (and for my sub standard spelling, aparently.)

For whatever it is worth.. in plain humourless text.. I'm all with you in the other matter, it being less apropriate posting stuff against an artist's will. But please, don't let that get in the way of your mood.. It's all good. :)

I was there on Wednesday night, and let me just say that the show was tremendous.  Benmont gave a soulful, heartfelt, tasteful performance with some really moving moments throughout the night.  The venue is tiny and it was really such a treat to be 15 feet away from a legend, almost like he was playing in your living room.  Also, I haven't laughed so much at a show in a while, his random thoughts and banter between the songs were gold.  The American Girl was a sweet moment (video controversies aside) but the highlight for me might have been his cover of The Grateful Dead's China Doll.  I'd strongly suggest taking a listen for those interested.  Here's the link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrvzYF-rIBo

5 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

YOU WANT IT SO IT'S COOL. 

This is the irony; I don't want it.

As special as they are, I'm not here for Benmont's side shows really, I'm here for the music of TPATH. I posted this for other people to appreciate. My point about diseases and what not is this isn't anything to be angry over or worth quarreling about; it's a song; in the grand scheme me or someone else posting it is nothing to be upset about but maybe that didn't come across.

Anyway, I don't have a beef with anyone, I tried de-escalating this, oh well.

it's just a bit ironic to me cause I could've just as easily not posted it.

cheers...I guess.

7 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

And I'm not the hall monitor. Do what you want.¬†ūüėė¬†

In my opinion, don't complain about something and then act like you're not the "hall monitor." I know you're not. Again when something like this goes online that's it; I mean, what's the point of deleting it now.

7 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

whereas the distinction between nights was only that on night one it wasn't until after he started for about 45 seconds and stopped that he made the request and on night two ["this time"] he made the request before he started the song.

Noted.

5 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

I'm done with this topic.

Okay. Well, this all blew up in an awful away against something that's really not worth it. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Yopietro said:

The venue is tiny and it was really such a treat to be 15 feet away from a legend, almost like he was playing in your living room.  Also, I haven't laughed so much at a show in a while, his random thoughts and banter between the songs were gold.

Yeah, I figure that would be a lot of fun and he strikes me that he'd just express whatever he was feeling in the moment without any canned banter. With the Dirty Knobs one gets the garage rock element, with Benmont the more moody intimate shows.

Thanks for sharing.

cheers

On March 22, 2019 at 6:03 AM, TPfan1000 said:

There is no doubt in my mind Benmont requested on both nights that his performance of AG not be recorded. 

For the record it appears you are correct since the recording has now been deleted. I realize you are done with this thread but thought it worth pointing out and I hope this thread hasn't soured you on the forum as it is a pretty nice place.

cheers