Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Cymbals

Been looking for a new set of cymbals for a while. I finally narrowed it down to 2 brands and different sizes. Most likely will buy A Series Zildians, that I have with old set of Ludwig drums from the 60's. Will definitely look at the new Sabian "Neil Peart" Paragon's. Waiting to hear on package prices from Sweetwater and others. Here's what I'm looking at:

Zildjian A Series Cumbals

23 inch Sweet Ride

15 inch New Beat Hi Hats

18 inch Thin Crash

20 inch Thin Crash

16 inch Thin Crash

Sabian Paragon's in Brilliant Finish

15 inch Hi Hats

22 inch Ride

18 inch Crash

16 inch Crash

20 inch Crash

The Zildjian family has been making cymbals for centuries. When they came to America, they continued the tradition here. But 1 brother decided to settle in Canada instead of the USA, when they arrived in North America. He continued the tradition in Canada with the same alloy composition B80/20 that his father and brothers made in the USA as Zildjian cymbals, but called his cymbals "Sabian".  The Andy Zildjian family still owns and runs Sabian today.

I have a red sparkle set from the 60's and my new ones are "Blue Oyster Pearl". Both sets are like Ringo's, but the red set has 20" bass drum, 14X14 floor tom and 8X12 mounted tom. New set has 22" bass drum, 9X13 mounted tom and 16X16 floor tom. Current cymbals are Zildjian A Series 14" New Beat Hi-Hats, 20" ride and 18" sizzle crash. I may add a new 14X14 floor tom to the new set.

1965 red set

CM320-RS-large.jpg.auto.webp

2018 Blue Oyster Pearl

CM322-BLU-large.jpg.auto.webp

I have that bass drum head on my red sparkle kit. I also had heads made with the "Nurktwins" with the drop down T. Also made a head with my last name that has a drop down T.     Beatles, Nurktwins and my last name all have "T" as the middle initial. "THE" is on top of "Beatles" and "Nurktwins". "Ben" is on top of my last name drum head. My '65 red kit has the 20" bass drum head and I have plenty of logo heads those. My new Blue Oyster Pearl kit has the 22" bass drum, so I'll be getting more heads made soon that say Beatles, Nurktwins and my last name. BTW, if you want that Ringo bass drum anchor, you can get it for $15 to make your kit look like Ringo's, check it out!  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC-4402--gibraltar-bass-drum-anchor

That's awesome. I don't have drums, but the Ringo kit would be the one I'd want.  We need to play some music, Nurk!  Maybe it's time to organize a Mudcrutch Forum bash!  See what I did there?  Volunteering you to host a big party?  LOL

Quotes are in from Sweetwater.

ZILDIAN A SERIES.......................................$1,117.56

15" New Beat Hi-Hats

23" Sweet Ride

18" Thin Crash

20" Thin Crash

SABIAN PARAGON "NEIL PEART"..........$1,134.72

22" Ride Brilliant finish

15" Hi-Hats brilliant

16" Crash Brilliant

18" Crash Brilliant

Nether price is acceptable even though both sets list for over $2,200. I found a drum shop in New Hampshire (that I never dealt with) that will sell me the Zildjian set (brand new) for $800.00, so I'm leaning that way. I just hate buying from someone I don't know anything about. I better sleep on this another night.

Tell your guy at Sweetwater about the $800 deal.  They are usually pretty aggresive about matching prices.  I've only ever beat their price once.  And they may have even matched it that time, but I was tired of messing around with it.  But $800 must be close to wholesale on those pieces.

I'll call Sweetwater and talk to Pat before I make a move. Hopefully we can work something out, but I have to move fast. The NH shop had this set made for them with Zildjian and only got 8 sets, 4 are left as of today. It'll be interesting to see what I can work out. I have time, but time is running out!!!!! Go figure!

^     I did about 10 or more years ago, took pix and posted them here. But since then I have bought so many more guitars, amps and drums that they wouldn't all fit in here to set them up for a display. I'll try to figure out a way set everything up. I'd love to see everything set up myself. There are probably a lot of things put away that I forgot about!!!!

Musical instruments all set up on a grassy lawn (or sports field). Overhead a drone flying back and forth trying for perfect image. Rising higher and higher in attempt to get them all in. Eagle slides by out of the cloud and - pow - eagle talons wrap around & capture drone. Last flickering image is of eagle's beak ripping camera off drone. 

Yeah, I think eagles are a little smarter about what is or isn't food. LOL   But I've thought about taking the guitars outside for a photo on a sunny day.  I've done that a lot for individual pictures  - especially if I'm going to sell a guitar on eBay or Craigslist.  I don't have enough guitar stands to display everything like that, and I only have a dozen or so guitars.  Nurk I think has way more than that,  so next to impossible getting those all in a photo.