Yes it is nice, very nice! Nice to hear some "new" Tom again! That very special feeling.. Thanks for posting!

Not sure this goes far beyond "nice" though.. Sound is close up and fascinating, very cool little arrangement, melody on the standard/flat side, perhaps.. but most importantly, those lyrics.. feels.. much like The Woods, for example.. quite a bit short of the truly brilliant and characteristic writing of his. Apparently it's an attempt at the painfully intimate and true, but the resulting phrases border on empty, for me.. or at least overly self-righteous. Quite ironic, coming from a man who could use very general wordings to hit extremely specific spots of the mind, or even make the most obscure and strange reference echo with significance. This, though.. sits kinda akward with me.

That is not to say that he doesn't mean what he sings, though. Nor that I doubt for a minute that he was in fact for real, of course. But this just doesn't say it half as well as most other things he wrote. Point taken about the song message, of course, but posted at the long last of a packed full set of hits, it's gonna be a strange way to end the listening session. Still glad I got to hear it, of course. Again, thanks!

Feels like a "Highway Companion" outtake to me.  I rarely spend time trying to analyze lyrics, but musicially one thing stands out for me - the song is not tuned to pitch.  You have to re-tune your guitar to play along with it.  That almost never happens with a Heartbreakers recording.  I assume the tape speed got changed for some reason.

^ Hu, interesting.. I thought it sounded slightly Last DJ ish on the vocals... Thanks for info. (Long time no see, btw)

And, then my remarks on the lyrics may.. well, miss the mark at least a little. Still, not great imo.

Maybe there's some amazing TPATH songs waiting to be heard down the road but if not, I'm pretty content with what he and the band gave us over the years, hell, releasing HE at nearly 40 years into their career is amazing, most bands don't last that long let alone pull together such a powerful album towards the end of their run. So while I'm curious about new music, or one-off song additions to a collection, I'm not super excited, or my expectations are tempered.

I like this one from the first listen. As not much of a fan of Tom by himself with a guitar, I'm glad the band joined in fairly quickly. There's some interesting chord choices or melodic phrasing that Tom's doing that make the song stand out. Sometimes Tom has been a good lyricist and other times not so much, it's more the emotional weight he gets through what is usually simple lyrics and that's what's coming through here, for me.

The only thing that happens sometimes with a song that's so instantly catchy is I end up getting tired of it sooner than a song that took me a while to appreciate; I guess in time we'll know.

But I like the gentleness of the song, even when the drums come in, it all sounds very restrained and is more powerful for it.

When he sings "brother" whether that's literal or not, made me think of She's The One; I realize this was recorded after and spontaneously (?) and I think that's one of Tom's and the band's best gifts, the ability to write something on the spot and have it sound good, but I think this could've fit on She's The One. I could see it being on Echo as well though it doesn't sound much like anything else on that record, maybe it would've worked as the emotional center of that record with nearly everything stripped back, no emotional guitar playing like at the end of One Moe Night or whatever ends that record.

I like it overall.

Thanks for sharing this on here and I'm glad one can purchase the songs individually instead of having to purchase the box set. That's good.

cheers

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, campbellfan1 said:

The song is from 2000. Recorded during the session for Surrender (released on Live Anthology). The song was written during the session and very on-the-spot (hence the sparse arrangement). From what I understand, the song is not about Tom. 

Having it all sink in - the song as well as above info - the latter strikes me as some amazingly detailed insight. As usual, may I say. Kudos!

For all the rumors and gossip (some TP collectors always talk wide and grand, others share wide and grand), for all actual tracks/files or list of song titles - gathered from people over the years, in terms of outtakes and unreleased recordings, session info etc, For Real was one that I had never even heard of until the promotion for the new compilation set hit the market earlier this winter.

While still not a total favorite, FR has grown on me a little, since first listen. At least a little. And... may I ask then.., campbellfan1, in your understanding, who might the song be about? Usually I don't care too much about such things, but considering the structure and content of these lyrics, it would be very to know in this case. Who did what for real, so to speak?

And then.. could it be that the obvious risk that listeners would confuse the song character with Tom himself, was part the reason the song was never returned to or used further? I mean -- even if this song is to be heard as "in character", Tom wrote more stuff of a similar general type, with at least partly related themes or messages to them. Perhaps especially so around that same era. Songs, that he did use, more over. Among which most notably are Echo's No More (in character or straight up confessional? I never doubted for a minute it was suppose to be simultaneously raw/personal and universal.) or One More Day, One More Night. Perhaps even This One's for Me can be heard in the same vein of slight self boosting morale or martyr-strikes-back type of sentiments.* Now, with FR, the details are too specific to make it as universal as the ones mention, but of course it could technically be about anyone or no one. The freedom of art.** 

-----

* This sub genre of Tom Petty songwriting may be well worthy of a topic in itself... someone, please hit it!

** In-character songs, "I", are somewhat difficult to pull off.. In general, rock audience down the years have had a problem with separating Person from Work, so to speak. (Born In The USA, anyone?). And maybe that's what I - being the non-reflective kind that I sometimes am - did in the FR case, here. Apparently. --- Tom usually worked the lines of biographical, personal and poetic tall tale spinning, like the best of them - sometimes you can sense he's telling a story, sometimes he sounds just straight, true and honest, a lot of the time it's the great mysterious blend of both. Always with the poetic touch, or sly remark up his sleeve. A-WAY-WITH-WORDS. Great love songs work that way, of course, they are based on personal experience, or at least personal feelings, real people being involved directly or indirectly, but they are expressed in a general enough fashion so that anyone can feel it and dig the vibe. And... anthems that can move the biggest crowds don't even have to say anything, beyond stating an attitude that the music already carries (I Won't Back Down, anyone? Makes Queen's We Will Rock You, play out like nobel laureate stuff, right..) Speaking of perspectives: One story has it that "The man Who Loves Women, for example, is about George Harrison. If I hadn't heard that, I wouldn't have guessed as much. No matter, I'm just glad that he went with the "he's", rather than "I'm", in terms of who love's women so much. Small word makes a huge difference in that case. Still think that song is one of his weaker and more silly efforts, but had it been "I'm the man who loves women - women, women, women", it would really have been embarrassing. Kinda like similar to the effect I get from hearing FR at face value, literally believing he sings about himself - heard that way it doesn't work too well for me, so it kinda helps a little to hear that it's about someone else. But about whom?

That said, I love women too.

Tom Petty lyrics and songwriting?

Go. 😀

I wonder if similar theme of For Real emerged into "Last DJ" album: "didn't do it for no CEO".  On other hand, that feisty independent opinion & sense of frustration pops up across the man's whole career.

I see where your mind went with the use of "brother". Oh, well, who's to say? Three possibilities for me:

• Using it as a phrase - "oh brother" - similar to, say,  "oh wow"?  
  • the character is talking to a close friend who's like a brother (who he feels is as close as, or even closer than, a brother)
  • The character is talking to his brother (in his family).

Agree, campbellfan1, please share your thought & opinions some more.  (Cool name.) 

ooo now yes, this is always interesting with any kind of artistic creation:

• authors are being autobiographical, confessional 
  • authors are creating characters based on stories or situations 
  • authors are creating characters from their wonderfull imaginations
  • author might be trying to write in character but their reality keeps leaking through their creative process, colouring their characters*. Might not realise so clearly In the moment of creation, might only become clearer later on... 

* So in extreme cases, a character might even be author's avatar, in sense that one of their characters shares a lot (ie many characteristics, opinions, motivations etc) with the actual author. Levin character might be Tolstoy's avatar in Anna Karenina ... Some readers even wanted Arthur Conan Doyle to be a detective just like Sherlock, not be "just" an author. I know, people's expectations are weird & intriguing & awesome, huh? 

On Benmont Tench's Twitter. Just to focus, I won't copy in whoever on Twitter asked questions etc. Shall just say Q (for question), okay? Obviously, pop over to Twitter & explore further if you're  interested beyond the snippets quoted below.❤️🎹🎹🎹

🎹🎹🎹 speaking of possible threads, what about one for appreciating Benmont's solo material and work / collaborations with other musicians? Does it already exist? 

16 Feb

Q:"For Real" is beautiful. Is it from The Last DJ sessions?

Benmont: No, we went to Mendocino in 2000, I think, to cut a version of "surrender" for " anthology: through the years," it was done the same day. 

Q: Thank you. It has a great sound. 

13th Feb

Q: Benmont! Tone question for you. When Mike is playing guitar does all his rhythm tome come straight from the amp or does he use pedals? Thanks!

Benmont: No real@idea but I expect it varies song to song. But as with any truly great musician, most of it comes from his hands & his heart:)

Q: I love this answer!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

I see where your mind went with the use of "brother". Oh, well, who's to say? Three possibilities for me:

• Using it as a phrase - "oh brother" - similar to, say,  "oh wow"?  
  • the character is talking to a close friend who's like a brother (who he feels is as close as, or even closer than, a brother)
  • The character is talking to his brother (in his family).

The meaning of the line "Oh brother look what we've become..." is similar, in terms of meaning, to "what have i become my sweetest friend" (from he amazing cover of Hurt by J Cash)

I'm agree with the ones who said this song could be a prequel of "the last dj".

Off piste

I was curious about the place Benmont Tench mentions: Mendicino. 

Turns out it's a studio in a converted schoolhouse on the coast. Currently for sale, so lots of pictures of it looking particularly fine. 

Low whistle of appreciation - coastal California is beautiful or what?!

8ecb8b5c10a19ccbe1daba7bc38ec77cw-c334789xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg.5bdf47d2457d94d3455bf1599b3ca35f.jpg

View from windows to the sea:IMG_4047.thumb.jpeg.b1f72d25255e9090872c30bdcced8ac7.jpeg

...according to the real estate website there's a llama farm next door to studio. Sigh. ❤️ alpacas, near enough. Aha, Shelter, so that's where I've heard the name Mendocino before! Ah those pirates...

• Let's get out of Santa Cruz / All I've got is this Canadian dime. 

Anyway, thumbs up for "For Real". Hmm, good question, Shelter, who did what for real? For me, it's gonna be Tom Petty's own life full of creating music with his band of brothers & ... it's gorgeous. So, unless someone convinces me otherwise (& even then...)

Hanging on to that thought.. Unless I'm mistaken The Trip To Pirate's Cove (based on real events or not) was an even longer time ago. I mean, I do have a hard time picturing a millennium Tom hitching a ride with someone all the way to Mendocino, just to cut Surrender in a studio with chirping Llamas outside, in order to have something to slap onto Anthology. Nah. I guess some hotel maids know the answer, but nevertheless.. the very idea of describing the cutting of a ripe song as "harvest" strikes me as utterly beautiful. Gonna be high on that one for the rest of today. 

Coming kind of late to this discussion, I must admit I'll have to give For Real a few more listens before judging it properly. The time of its recording would have been hard to pin-point for me... could have been a Highway Companion outtake, as TomFest already mentioned above, or around the time of Hypnotic Eye even. I hear some similarities to Sins of My Youth (don't ask me why... something about the atmosphere, maybe). But the CEO-part certainly brings The Last DJ to mind as well. Having said that, I NEVER would have suspected it being from the same session as Surrender. It's such a different vibe altogether.

The place in Mendocino looks beautiful.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, Shelter said:

Hanging on to that thought.. Unless I'm mistaken The Trip To Pirate's Cove (based on real events or not) was an even longer time ago. I mean, I do have a hard time picturing a millennium Tom hitching a ride with someone all the way to Mendocino, just to cut Surrender in a studio with chirping Llamas outside, in order to have something to slap onto Anthology. Nah. I guess some hotel maids know the answer, but nevertheless.. the very idea of describing the cutting of a ripe song as "harvest" strikes me as utterly beautiful. Gonna be high on that one for the rest of today. 

Pirate's Cove doesn't have to be autobiographical either, does it? Maybe there are some bits and pieces in there from firsthand experience (of a pre-millennium Tom), but maybe also something somebody told him or he overheard or thought up himself... you know, the way songwriters write. 

40 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Pirate's Cove doesn't have to be autobiographical either, does it? Maybe there are some bits and pieces in there from firsthand experience (of a pre-millennium Tom), but maybe also something somebody told him or he overheard or thought up himself... you know, the way songwriters write. 

I know. It certainly doesn't. The "(based on real events or not)" part, there, was meant to give that whole paragraph away as being rather speculative. Not to say mere free from associative.. or kinda just a joke.*  

Mendocino just made me think of TTTPC, I guess. And once my mind was there, it moved on to thinking - giving the specific line in the song's lyrics - what a nice turn of phrase it would have been, calling the cutting of a song that one has once planted a seed for inside, then worked on and watched grow, for "harvest". It just struck me as great somehow, no matter if what's described ever happened or not. Haha.. Sorry for trying to be clever.. It's rarely a good pose for me. Anyway. I wouldn't know the first thing about metaphors or songwriting. Or writing in general. I'm just improvising. And somehow I feel stupid now, for typing all this down so matter of factly. Somehow I preferred the mystery, complete with misunderstanding and all. So, perhaps I do know a thing or two, anyway. As I were.

---

*Let's face it, had that one line in the TTTPC puzzle - the way everything is puzzles - been about that studio place, there would have been llamas all over the song, right. And, no, I don't mean that literally, either. But it was fun to put it in a footnote. Very meta this thing now, isn't it..

...And how they'll beg you for the answer
But it won't ever be enough, there's no way you could ever tell 'em
It's just dogs alpacas/llamas on the run farm

:lol: harvesting the songs is such a cool image. I'm keeping it for future use! 

Thanks to glendevon.com (llama farm in Mendocino) for these (below)

image.jpeg.689fdc1ed9563a2adbcbed8de181deed.jpeg

image.jpeg.4a8c3cdebfa65c9a89e8e38edf7d4bbc.jpeg