Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

TP Question

OK, The monument or tomb contains a portion of Mahatma Gandhi's ashes and I've heard that a small portion of George Harrison's ashes where placed there with Gandhi's before Olivia and Dhani flew to India to spread George's ashes in the Ganges River the day after he died. George was a fan of Hindu music and belief's and died in Los Angeles and it makes sense that some of his ashes were placed here at "SRL" along with Gandhi's. Now comes the big question, when Tom died there was a service at "SRL", so was something of Tom's left in that tomb to be with the ashes of Gandhi and his friend George Harrison?

No idea, but I would be surprised. Tom doesn't seem to have been a follower of eastern religions, although I would call him a spiritual guy.  I've seen others on different forums refer to Tom as an atheist, but that is clearly not right.  No atheist says "God Bless you" to his audience every night.

4 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Could be agnostic.

I wouldn't expect that either.  Agnostics have no opinion either way.  They also wouldn't say "God Bless You" to the audience.  I'm convinced that Tom believed in God.  He just didn't shout it from the rooftops.

Plus also, there's a moment in Temple In Flames tour documentary by MTV which gives an interesting insight into issues like this. For me anyway.

You know the one, where TP and Roger McGuinn are walking in Jerusalem. One of their Israeli guides is explaining why many people regard the area around the Dome of the Rock as one of the holiest places. He does something museum guides try to do - exploring the significance of cultural heritage in terms of something that visitors are already passionate about.  Here he (wisely) uses music to talk about the process of holiness.

• Anyway, as Tom and Roger walk on they are talking about this experience with each other.  The mike picks up Tom saying something like: "This is amazing. Pretty wild. Oh it's very simple. Ten years in Sunday School and this guy told me more in five minutes than I ever grasped in all that." 

❤️

If TP was a true 'born again' bible based Christian, or even a liturgical religious protestant Anglican, I doubt that he would have wanted to be buried in a SRL Shrine referential to some Indian yogi. He probably was brought up as a believer of the Christian message though, but somewhere along the line other influencers came along to dilute his faith into something more 'alternative.' That influencer was possibly GH and possibly Dylan too. What all this means is that he never did truly grasp the true Christian 'good news' message if he was disheartened with it, or he attributed Christianity with the sort of distorted motivational messages propogated by American stadium church preachers or the false religiosity of many who do claim to be Christian but are really wolves in sheep's clothing'. Why he didn't just stick to the bible, I'll never know. I suppose it's not fashionable to be a true Christian with some highly successful entertainers, many of whom do dabble or commit to alternative cults, oesoteric belief systems. He seemed like a good person to me. Maybe, partly he was unwilling to repent of drug taking (cigs, illegal. fentanyl, weed), the very substances that helped kill him off prematurely or would have killed him off if he hadn't died when he did from cardiac arrest. Something I find very sad when he could have lived to enjoy his life with his family for many years, and embarked on new musical interests away from the grind of touring.