Sign in to follow this  
Caruso65

Will There Be. Full Moon Fever Deluxe?

I hope so, would really like an official live release of Face In The Crowd, Love Is A Long Road and

a full band Won’t Back Down, has there been any news about the anniversary 4/24/1989 ?

3 hours ago, Caruso65 said:

like an official live release of Face In The Crowd, Love Is A Long Road and

a full band Won’t Back Down,

Here is a link to a great sounding show from 1990 with A Face In the Crowd:

https://livepetty.com/1989-09-13-chapel-hill-nc-sbd/

This link has a list of 2008 shows where they played an extended version of Face in the Crowd. I think the best live versions of that song are from this tour because of that. Sound quality may vary but the shows are free through a generous person who put up the site. A lot of other shows from different tours as well.

https://livepetty.com/2008-3/

cheers

It is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.   I would love it if they did a record store day exclusive expanded copy of this album to commemorate this...

It's so odd how they are inducting albums and singles into the HOF now...   but please first give me 'all the rest'... 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

:lol:

Sad, actually...

Nah.. funny because it's true.

Meanwhile.. in the year of great anniversaries for many great Tom Petty albums (Damn The Torpedoes, Echo, Live Anthology) Full Moon Fever really stands out to many of today's fans and listeners, I suppose. And today is the day! And the fact is starting to get it's due in media too.. 

https://wmmr.com/2019/04/24/tom-pettys-full-moon-fever-introduced-new-generation/

https://turnupthevolume.blog/2019/04/24/tom-petty-released-first-solo-album-full-fever-moon-30-years-ago-today/

https://wmgk.com/2019/04/24/looking-back-full-moon-fever/

http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on-demand/tom-petty-full-moon-fever-30th-anniversary-2/

As for the thread topic.. Given the current state of affairs within the camp, I very much doubt there will be much in ways of commemorative releases right now (other than perhaps shirts, mugs, hats.. tasteful stuff like that .. keychains possibly..… ). But, was I to let my mind run free, I'd like to hope for something a little more action packed than the old Damn The Torpedoes Deluxe issue. That one was really a bummer in scratching the surface and offering a few odd ends only. At least one full disc of demos and/or alternative takes and b-sides + at least one full disc of live cuts from the era is a minimum for this kind of releases.  

When it comes to FMF there might not be tons of unique and unheard material to be heard - as in totally unheard songs - but there might be one or two, and certainly there will be some demos and alternative takes, the old Bangles session in proper context and the b-sides. I for one am curious as to if some of the stuff Tom brought to the Traveling Wilburys - say Last Night - wasn't in fact a stuff initially meant for his own projects and that demos is likely to exist..

Personally, though, I'd much prefer a Dylan Bootleg Series type release (see "Tell Tale Signs") that covers an era and skip all the already released stuff once and for all. In the FMF case, this would be part, preferably, of a "Wilburys Years" or likewise themed release that would deal with the years, say 1987-1991, to bookend the era of commercial peak success, the Lynne sound and general awesomely interesting sessions and clashes in the history of the band. 4 discs + book? Why not. Qued up and curated like that, such a box could be a great idea for a 2021 release too.. speaking of anniversaries. Bring it on. No shortage of great ideas, strictly speaking....   

FMF would be a touchy release. It's supposed to be a solo LP, so all the guys that played on the LP would have to agree to release it and get paid their amount of money. Plus all the guys were signed to different recording labels and those companies want a cut or the right to release the LP. So, it's most likely that a new version will never get released. This is basically an LP like "The Traveling Wilburys" and only George Harrison can pull it off to get artists and record companies to get something like this released!!

3 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Full Moon Fever is a great album, but some kind of deluxe reissue would be waaay down the list of priorities for me. There's not much left to mine there that hasn't already been released.

I agree this could be down the list a ways, but that record is packed with great songs and I'd love to hear demos and outtakes of every one of them.

20 minutes ago, TomFest said:

I agree this could be down the list a ways, but that record is packed with great songs and I'd love to hear demos and outtakes of every one of them.

Do we know if there even are demos though? A lot of those songs were seemingly written on the fly with Jeff Lynne and recorded immediately.

I for one have no idea exactly what the song writing and recording sessions (spanning from late 87 to early 89 supposedly) did produce. Legend has it it was very magical and breezy, for sure. But somehow I'm having a hard time believing that they just pushed the red circular rec button one day, went on to play what we hear on the record and then pushed stop. I know Jeff is cool, but comon..

Of course I could be wrong and legend is every bit as groovy as we always was told, but there just might be some alt takes and some odd demo of songs, perhaps originally meant for something else, laying around. I totally agree chances are that there are a lot less recorded, let alone finished material than some other session of the same legend (some of which even have proof and witnesses too).. but still.. there might be something of interest to share light on the era. At least I hope there is. Really not prio though, agreed. Certainly not. But fun to talk about on this big 30th anniversary day. Amazing.. What a classic really. 

Hahaha..! Jeeze… Below find an addition to above list of FMF 30th Anniv. articles.. also an incredibly bizarre look into the google translate no fact check journalism of our times... this piece is a trip. Among the best and most wicked piece of writing in years. Gotta love the internet, right. Love Is a Lengthy Street.. indeed.. 

https://epeak.info/2019/04/24/tom-pettys-full-moon-fever-turns-30-a-observe-by-observe-retrospective/

And here's a more coherent deal.. summons up a few things most of us already know, but still nice I think:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-full-moon-fever-song-stories/?fbclid=IwAR3xZIbTj8KT44KTYuWh9Xfo11FJ5gAFKUJ76DcCb_M8txadhIkafMWAUI0

This tidbit caught my eye..

He included a similar message on 1991's Into the Great Wide Open, instructing cassette listeners to fast-forward past the empty space at the end of Side One before flipping the tape over to play the second side.

Amazingly enough - even when keeping cassette copies of most TP albums for archival/collectors reasons - I have never noticed this! I must somehow find a way to play that ITGWO tape and check it out. When you think you know it all...

image.jpeg.3ce7332336c5988bebdae1bfb2b9b57f.jpeg

What do I like most about Full Moon Fever? I appreciate the way this record is mixed so we're hearing Tom Petty's singing voice right up front. Thanks to you, Jeff Lynne. ❤️

• You know how at times TP would push his voice into almost, but not quite, a ragged edge? This can slip across into his more nasal sound (which some might say is the Dylan voice).  It's not bad or anything, I'm certainly not criticising this sound. I like it! I think he does this in parts of the chorus of Free Fallin'  where his voice is certainly capable of going up an octave. The way he sings I'm free / Free fallin' creates that edge. Mellow verse, edgy chorus, mellow verse... this hints at something intriguing about the characters in the song... (Some singers hit that chorus by lifting off and soaring into pure sustained notes - I'm freeeee / Freeeee faaaaallllling. This might show-case their beautiful upper register, but it loses a subtle, crucial story-telling element.)
  • Sometimes TP's singing with his accent or southern twang You're So Bad, Apartment Song, Zombie Zoo. So his vowels take those shapes... it's Ah (not I),  Zahmbie (not zombie) and pay-ned (not painted)... The voice in I Won't Back Down is so calm, so assured... It's not someone being defiant or trying too hard. Rather, somehow, magically, TP creates a sense of matter-of-fact calm... and he's all the more believable as a result. 
  • In other songs TP's creating a smooth warm tone - A Face In The Crowd, Alright For Now, Runnin' Down A Dream. Which doesn't mean he's off to a smoothies lounge act in Las Vegas soon. Or aspiring to sing opera. Haha.:) Just that he's maybe singing more from his chest & less from his throat? In some of these he drops to a low register, which sounds like his sweet spot. But just when you think that, he's singing the next song within a different vocal range, which could also  be his sweet spot. (!!!)

In summary, Tom Petty could already sing. With Full Moon Fever he shows us what he's capable of doing when he gets on a roll... 

4 hours ago, Shelter said:

Hahaha..! Jeeze… Below find an addition to above list of FMF 30th Anniv. articles.. also an incredibly bizarre look into the google translate no fact check journalism of our times... this piece is a trip. Among the best and most wicked piece of writing in years. Gotta love the internet, right. Love Is a Lengthy Street.. indeed.. 

https://epeak.info/2019/04/24/tom-pettys-full-moon-fever-turns-30-a-observe-by-observe-retrospective/

OMFG that is hysterical!

Alternate universe album, its not the full moon fever you want, its the full moon fever you deserve.... 😎

Free Fallin’”
“I Received’t Again Down”
“Love Is a Lengthy Street”
 “A Face Within the Crowd”
“Runnin’ Down a Dream”
“Really feel a Complete Lot Higher”
“Yer So Dangerous”
“Relying on You”
“The Residence Tune”
“Alright for Now”

“A Thoughts With a Coronary heart of Its Personal” (my favorite song!) 
“Zombie Zoo”

This co-write between Petty and Campbell was impressed by the lead guitarist’s motorbike; just like the Seaside Boys on “Little Honda,” Campbell needed to write down a rock track that frequently upshifts like a guide transmission. Petty sings of a tempestuous romance that leaves him determined and dizzy; Campbell performs like he’s burying the accelerator. Regardless of its dated manufacturing, “Love Is a Lengthy Street” actually flies.

🤣😂🤣

I always thought Full Moon Fever would be a good album for the band to record live in the studio, the way they did on Hypnotic Eye and Mojo, as a re-release. I love the songs on Full Moon Fever so much—probably have listened to that record more than any other by ay artist in my life—but the production does feel a little slick and dated at times. I always thought it would be fun to have a live version, or if they wanted to rearrange "I Won't Back Down" or anything, they could

Lucinda Williams did this with her Sweet Old World album recently, and I love the new release.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:26 AM, Shelter said:

Amazingly enough - even when keeping cassette copies of most TP albums for archival/collectors reasons - I have never noticed this! I must somehow find a way to play that ITGWO tape and check it out. When you think you know it all...

Ok, so I checked. It's basically an updated slightly different take on the "hello CD listeners" concept alright, and basically just a little tiny hidden track/ treasure.. To think it's been there all these years... nice unexpected surprise for me.

On April 24, 2019 at 3:59 PM, Shelter said:

What a classic really. 

A little while ago I listened to it in the first time in a long time and it really is a darn good album. And I really like how it sounds, what a blend of instruments and the drums on this record sound better than ITGWO which is perhaps odd since Lynne was a big part of both.

Anyway, I still think they never surpassed the studio version of Runnin' on stage. And no matter how overplayed Won't Back Down is, it still sounds good when not listened to in a long time. It's a good song. 

And man, Zombie Zoo is the perfect way to end the record. The whole thing flows.

Sure, release some demos or unreleased tracks if any from this record but leave it be as is and heck, maybe release a live show from that tour. 

cheers

On April 25, 2019 at 8:27 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

OMFG that is hysterical!

Alternate universe album, its not the full moon fever you want, its the full moon fever you deserve.... 😎

Free Fallin’”
“I Received’t Again Down”
“Love Is a Lengthy Street”
 “A Face Within the Crowd”
“Runnin’ Down a Dream”
“Really feel a Complete Lot Higher”
“Yer So Dangerous”
“Relying on You”
“The Residence Tune”
“Alright for Now”

“A Thoughts With a Coronary heart of Its Personal” (my favorite song!) 
“Zombie Zoo”

Very funny.  Not just higher...but a "Complete Lot" higher.